This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Clothing for newborn in hot weather - advice for new mum!!

(14 Posts)
mrsbev Thu 01-Aug-13 18:38:34

My DD is 5 days old and I'm a bit confused about what clothing to put her in in this hot weather - will she be too hot in a vest and baby grow? Does she need blankets as well? I keep feeling her back to check her temperature but not sure how warm she should feel?? Any advice please?

Tigresswoods Thu 01-Aug-13 18:40:02

Just a vest? Just a nappy? Your call depending how warm/cool your house is?!?

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Thu 01-Aug-13 18:41:30

One more layer than you I think is the general rule of thumb.

mrsbev Thu 01-Aug-13 18:42:23

Our house can get warm upstairs, especially in our bedroom. We have a fan but the room thermometer is showing 23 degrees at the moment.

bellablot Thu 01-Aug-13 19:06:21

My room thermometer showing 30 degrees, all DC's wearing absolutely nada!

Sparklyboots Thu 01-Aug-13 19:28:37

We're in London, my 11 week baby has been dressed about four times - it's been very hot so we go nappy only when out and about - nappy and a bandana onto which I keep pouring water to keep her cool. Sometimes we lie her on a damp towel, for extra cooling. Afaik, too hot is a big risk but tool cold less so, specially in this weather so we err on the side of too cold if unsure. Brace yourself though - one in every three people you pass or otherwise come into contact with is going to question whether your baby is too hot, or too cold. And offer their unsolicited advice on that.

DS is a lot older, 8 months, but even if he was a week old he would be in a vest at most. Our room's 30 degrees too and he's just in a nappy!

Sparklyboots Thu 01-Aug-13 19:31:40

... thought the 'one more layer than you' advice was for when it's cool out and your body has to work to keep you warm? Happy to be corrected...

twosmallbuttons Thu 01-Aug-13 19:33:27

In this heat I'd just leave a nappy on. No blanket. If necessary you can put a light cotton sheet over them in the night.

girliefriend Thu 01-Aug-13 19:35:31

I think its the law that newborns have to wear vests at all times wink

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Thu 01-Aug-13 20:32:04

You might be right - I had a winter baby so that advice was dolled out then.

To be honest, I reckon whoever it was that said too hot is a worry, not too cold has it spot on. They'll let you know if they're cold, not so much if hot.

For a newborn I'd probably just put them in bed with a vest and no cover. The cotton of the vest will help circulate air around baby therefore feeling cooler. I wouldn't cover with a sheet just because I remember 'them' saying no loose covers and I was a bit PFB cautious

shouldibecrossaboutthis Thu 01-Aug-13 20:53:34

my 9 month old is wearing a nappy and a thin muslin style sleeping bag - his room is 26 degrees. I think I would put a newborn in a short sleeve vest and then a thin muslin blanket over the top to cover toes and legs.

mrsbev Thu 01-Aug-13 21:31:03

Thanks for all the advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now