This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

5mths pregnant and looking to start buying baby clothes - where to start?!

(12 Posts)
Laquila Sun 21-Apr-13 11:41:26

Hi all, I'm due at the end of August and doing a lot of nesting at the mo (ie., trying to declutter/throw out large amounts of crap so I can fill the house with loads more crap I probably won't need).

Given that I have absolutely nothing for the baby yet, I think I'd feel better if I started getting a few packs of unisex babygros, bodysuits etc. (started panicking slightly the other night after visiting a friend who's not as far along as me who's already bought nappies!)

i have looked, slightly mystified, in M&S, John Lewis, Sainsburys, Next, Mothercare and Mamas and Papas, and still don't know where to start!

The sensible side of my brain says these are all much of a muchness, and that as long as they're 100% cotton and washable, then there's no point worrying about it and I should probably just got for the cheapest, but am I missing something?! Is one pack of plain white bodysuits very much like another? How many bodysuits does one baby need??

Any advice much appreciated - thank you!

purrpurr Sun 21-Apr-13 11:57:56

I'm 38 weeks so I'm not an experienced mum yet, but here's what I've got - some will say this is WAY too much, some will say it's ok, ish... You have to do what's right for you:

Newborn size: 8 bodysuits, 10 sleepsuits, 4 outfits. Some clothing manufacturers build scratch mitts into sleepsuits, so they're integral, like Next. I would guess 6 of the sleepsuits are from Next, via eBay. I then got some others from Asda and the like, and bought a few packets of scratch mitts separately.

0-3 months: I bought pretty much the same amount again for this range, although I might have accidentally bought a few more outfits - leggings and tops, mainly, as I may or may not find it easier to change a pooey baby if I only have to change the bottom half. Who knows. Again, most of it from eBay.

Lots of people say do not bother with outfits for tiny babies. Some folk detest seeing small people in small versions of grown up clothing, so t-shirts with slogans, tiny combats, tiny jeans etc. Lots of people also don't like babies in colours, preferring the simplicity of plain white babygros. Neither of these is right or wrong, particularly, it's personal preference.

One other thing to note is that each retailer follows their own sizing structure. Off the top of my head:

Next newborn: Up to 7.5lbs
M and Co newborn: Up to 7.5lbs
Asda newborn: Up to 9.9lbs
Marks and Spencer newborn: Up to 7.5lbs

Then 0-3 the differences really begin to spread out.

Next, in what can only be a money-making venture, have decided to have Newborn, then Up To 1 Month, then Up To 3 Months, in their sizing structure. Next Up To 3 Months is I think up to 14lbs. Asda's 0-3 goes up to 12lbs on most of their stuff.

I think it's all much of a muchness, but I went for lots of colourful things, as I'm a magpie and love colour, and bought 90% second hand but reasonably new-looking from eBay, so hardly spent a dime. I did buy some nice things new from BHS in their Bambino range, lovely stuff, and from M and Co. Next was too expensive for me.

purrpurr Sun 21-Apr-13 11:58:21

Jesus, that was so much longer than I realised, sorry sad

Laquila Sun 21-Apr-13 12:04:44

That was very useful purrpurr, thank you!

I've been looking on eBay and am bidding on my first pack of bodysuits, which is actually quite exciting! Oh the glamour.

I think I'm in the not-too-keen-on-mini-outfits camp, although I don't really know why. I'll be inheriting some bits from friends and family, s really it's a bit daft to buy much now before I know what I'm getting, but I just think I'll feel that bit more organised if I do.

mrspaddy Sun 21-Apr-13 12:05:11

Hi OP I am due 3rd September. I bought eleven little 0-3 months white vests in Tesco yesterday. I am buying some babygro's off Amazon. There is a lovely red and white one I really want for the first outfit 'Finally Arrived' and I bought five little hats including a red one to go with this. I am not going crazy buying too much more as everyone I know has said you get given a lot from friends and family for first baby.
I have bought nappies, water wipes, scratch mitts, babygro's (live in Ireland so got in Dunnes Stores).
I am not going to get newborn stuff - just 0-3 I think. Will send DH off to town if we are in a real panic and baby very small.

My mum and dad are getting the travel system and DH and I bought a very large chest drawers that we are going to use as a travel system yesterday. We got the Closer to nature steriliser/ bottles in Argos in very good offer last month.

Clargo55 Sun 21-Apr-13 12:05:49

I think all brands are slightly different and can suit babies differently (e.g. really long in the body or really wide).

I think Next sleepsuits are my favourite. Thick, wash well, built in scratch mitts.

Some of the most helpful tips imo:

1. Make sure all sleepsuits have built in scratch mitts, separates always fall off. Ditto built in feet. No need for socks.

2. Baby may spend a lot of time on their back. So make sure there is no buttons or detail on the back that could be uncomfortable.

3. Easy access is most important, look for easy access at legs to change. Envelope necks are also great on bodysuits as if there is a bad nappy leak you can just slip off the shoulders and pull down. Instead of undoing poo covered poppers at the crotch and pulling up over head and possible getting poo in baby’s hair blush

mrspaddy Sun 21-Apr-13 12:07:41

not using chest drawers as a travel system - changing table ooops!

I've just got back from a car boot sale- and I really wish I'd gone when I was expecting my daughter as there was so much gorgeous, barely worn stuff as silly prices... she'd have been the best-dressed baby ever!

Great post from purrpurr. We definitely had too many things, especially as everyone showers you with clothes for 0-6 months. (And bloody soft toys. Shudder.) Ebay can certainly be good for certain things, but you end up paying a lot on postage over and above the sale price, so need to factor that in- and you're going on a photo. And I say that as someone who sells on Ebay...

Good luck!

MortifiedAdams Sun 21-Apr-13 12:11:29

My favourite place is h&m. Great quality, last ages size wize, good colours and patterns.

cherrycherry41 Sun 21-Apr-13 12:12:33

OP dont buy newborn! It lasts about a week and if u have a slightly larger baby they will easily go into 0-3 straight away. If you do feel you need to buy smaller baby clothing keep the tags on! My DD was almost 11lbs when she came out and we had a full wardrobe of washed, de-tagged newborn clothing and she used none of it! Invest in 3-6 as you will get alot of newborn and 0-3 sizes as gifts!
Buy plently of sleepsuits and vests. Scratch mitts and socks. Bibs and muslins.
Congratulations on your pregnancy and happy shopping!

Laquila Sun 21-Apr-13 12:27:39

This is really helpful, thanks very much for all your advice!

mrspaddy I read your post before you posted your correction and thought crikey...that's ambitious, using a chest of drawers as a travel system, but I'm interested to see how it turns out!

cherrycherry41 - nearly 11lbs - good Lord that's a bonnie baby ;)

Most of the stuff I've seen on eBay so far has seemed like a bargain til I've factored in the postage and the fact that I'll prob want to wash it before unless it's BNWT - although there's definitely some incredible value on there - so I think on balance I'm probably better of buying new, for the main. Also my mother will do a lot of eyebrow-raising if she finds out anything's come from eBay (she's quite old-fashioned like that).

I think I'll go back to Marks and Sparks and get a few packs of 0-3 month bodysuits, and then look in H&M and Next when I'm next there. Will also start picking up a few bits from Sainsburys on my weekly shop.

ThatGhastlyWoman I was actually thinking of doing a car boot to sell some f the stuff I'm trying to get rid of at the mo in The Great Declutter, a will definitely have a look if so, good plan.

Laquila Sun 21-Apr-13 16:39:06

Quick update - went to Sainsburys this arvo and bought a 4pk of l/s bodysuits, half-price at £4, two patterned s/s bodysuits, half-price at £3, (all in 1month size) and some insanely tiny mittens.

I feel better already smile

They had plain white sleepsuits at two x 3pks for £12, but only had one in stock, annoyingly.

I think my new plan is to buy things as and when I see them on offer/sale, mainly in 1month size and upwards - then I'll feel smug that I got that cheap but not like I'm going overboard.

Thanks very much for all your advice, everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now