Note: This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

First shoes for baby

(13 Posts)
nutella81 Thu 11-Apr-13 08:21:00

Hello

My 9 month old is very keen to be on her feet, and I think will go straight to walking. She now walks around a lot whilst holding on to me, however the kitchen and hall is too slippy for socks/gripped baby grows. I think I need to get her some sort of shoe, but not sure which type. I dont think they need to be proper outdoor ones yet, just ones to give her grip/protect her toes. Any help appreciated, thanks x

JollyPurpleGiant Thu 11-Apr-13 08:22:24

We didn't bother until DS was walking outside. Seemed like a waste of money. We have laminate flooring. DS just spent a lot of time with bare feet.

nutella81 Thu 11-Apr-13 08:25:30

Thanks JollyPurpleGiant. We've got ceramic tiles and they are freeeeeezing apart from in the height of summer, but I guess taking socks off for a short time in there would be ok.

Yamyoid Thu 11-Apr-13 08:26:33

Soft leather shoes with elasticated ankles are good for slippy floors. like these

bootsycollins Thu 11-Apr-13 08:28:24

Clarks do those pre walker shoes, think they call them Cruisers. They look like little shoes but have a very flexible sole, very cute and functional for providing warmth, grip and protecting little feet.

nancerama Thu 11-Apr-13 08:32:40

Have you tried Gap socks? They have a grippy bit on the bottom. Babies feet grow really quickly and fitted shoes are expensive. Save your money until she's actually walking outside.

DS was cruising from 7 months, but didn't decide to walk properly unaided until he was 1.

If you really think shoes are necessary, a pair of Inch Blue leather slippers would be a much more affordable option. You can pick them up really reasonably on eBay.

OneTrickYoni Thu 11-Apr-13 08:33:00

I use soft leather baby shoes (they have good grip) for my 13 month old dd unless outside when I use Clarks cruising shoes (she is walking). Twinkle Toes are the best price I have found, they also have an Ebay shop. Now it is warmer bare feet are fine too.

DuttyWine Thu 11-Apr-13 08:37:22

Hi I personally don't like clarks but its not easy where I live to find alternatives, after a lot if trawling I found http://www.moccis.co.uk/ they are like slipper socks with grip soles. I agree not to buy real shoes until they are walking outside and any decent shoe shop would tell you that if you went to get measured. Vertbaudet do lovely slippers that my ds is actually wearing as his first shoes they are lovely soft and flexible soled they are 23 pounds and come in lovely plain designs in bold colours.

DuttyWine Thu 11-Apr-13 08:40:43
DuttyWine Thu 11-Apr-13 08:41:22

Wahey first time a link worked! grin

nutella81 Thu 11-Apr-13 09:45:51

Thanks so much everyone. I think I might try the soft soled leather slippers and see how we go, and then perhaps progress to cruising shoes. I live near the startrite factory shop, so hoping to go there when I need proper shoes.

Nacerama - cruising for 5 months!? I'm 5'11, I don't think my back is going to be doing too well by the end of the summer, lol

Well done on the link duttywine!! smile

X

nancerama Thu 11-Apr-13 10:14:37

I think he was lazy because we lived in a tiny house with loads of furniture. He was happy trotting about on his own lurching from one chair to another. As soon as we took a week away in Center Parcs he was charging around because he had nothing to swing from.

nappyaddict Sun 28-Apr-13 20:34:59

Cruising shoes are a big waste of money. They are £24 in Clarks so even if they had a 50% off sale they would still be £12.

We used the soft leather shoes inside and outside whilst crusing and then when DS had been walking unaided for 6 weeks we switched to proper walking shoes.

The cheapest place I found for the soft leather shoes was this Amazon shop and this Ebay shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now