Note: This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

I need to find size 8 supportive shoes for ds

(10 Posts)
steppemum Wed 20-Mar-13 23:05:11

ds has size 8 feet. He is only 10 shock

He has always worn Clarks bootleg, which have always been fine, lasted all year through playground football etc

This term though he has had trouble with the tendons on his feet, very painful and swollen. We worked out eventually that it was caused by the shoes, even though they felt comfy on his feet.

He is currently wearing his Nike trainers (bought in a sale!) They have a shaped sole, so a support under the arch, and they are fine.

So I need to find him some more school shoes which are more supportive. I can see this is going to be an on-going issue, so it would be good to find a brand that was the right shape.

I was going to look at Kickers, but there isn't a shop anywhere near here, and I won't buy shoes on-line.

Thanks (I am off to bed so will come back and see replies in the morning!)

vertex Thu 21-Mar-13 00:25:01

Dr Martens

steppemum Thu 21-Mar-13 22:54:00

thanks vertex, but do DMs have a shaped supported inside? (like a trainer)

From what I remember the inside is pretty flat?? (long time since I wore them!

vertex Thu 21-Mar-13 23:29:40

Depends on model.

If you are saying he requires a rocker or arch support then ask your GP to refer you'd to NHS podiatrist who will create bespoke orthopedist which can then be worn in most shoes

steppemum Thu 21-Mar-13 23:48:40

I don't think at this stage he needs a podiatrists insert. Once he switched to trainers the tendons have gradually got better. But the trainers do have arch supports in them. I know from some research that flat shoes can cause the sort of tendon damage he had.
So I am looking for shoes with some shape to the inside, not flat, which should be enough. We will avoid podiatrists inserts if we can, not very cool for a 10 year old!

DMs aren't flat, they're quite supportive with a great bouncy sole. Is it worth getting someone to look at your ds's feet rather than just changing shoes?

steppemum Fri 22-Mar-13 23:35:25

GP has said that as the tendons improved once he changed to the Nikes, then it was just the shoes and a one off he should now be fine. Dh is all for just buying standard new shoes, and that old ones were just worn out/getting small

I am more cautious and would like to find shoes which are as supportive as his nikes. Don't really want to buy shoes and then find his tendons start to hurt again.

Daughteroughter Fri 22-Mar-13 23:40:49

Hi DS similar size 5.5 age 8 we buy Ricosta shoes in jack bit pricey but good support and much more robust than clarks

steppemum Sat 23-Mar-13 00:05:48

Where do you buy the Ricosta shoes daughterroughter?

Daughteroughter Sat 23-Mar-13 17:55:12

Originally from a local independent shop which has now shut so we get his feet measured clarks then buy on line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now