This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Where can you buy plain, tradtionional children's shoes?

(16 Posts)
BeasMummy Sat 15-Sep-12 19:29:42

Help!
My little girl is on her third pair of shoes and I'm really struggling to find some that I like!
There doesn't seem to be any shop on the high street that sells shoes for children that are plain, with no flashing shoes or embellishments in black, navy, tan etc.
I know some might think I'm being a little boring and not moving with the times but when I was a little girl, I'm sure they were a lot more traditional. There seems to be a lot more of this type of shoe available in Spain, Italy etc.
Thanks.

invicta Sat 15-Sep-12 19:31:32

Clarks have always lasted a year for me.

CMOTDibbler Sat 15-Sep-12 19:34:20

Loads in independant shoe shops

There is a dept store in windsor called Daniel that does lots of traditional shoes.

janek Sat 15-Sep-12 19:43:19

Startrite? Some of them look a lot like what they looked like in the 70s. In a good way.

BeasMummy Sat 15-Sep-12 19:47:22

Thanks everyone!
There must be a business opportunity here as so many of my friends have this exact problem!
Has anyone bought on line before? I was always a little scared as I was always fitted in a shop for mine- or is that something that Clarks etc have led us to believe so we all just go there?!?

LittleBlackDress Sat 15-Sep-12 20:16:24

Trotters

5madthings Sat 15-Sep-12 20:18:33

yep independent shoe shops are the way to go.

GoingforGoingforGOLD Sat 15-Sep-12 20:43:08

Having had the same issue this very week I have (to the detriment of my bank balance) discovered sarenza

Never heard of them before but loads of beautiful children's shoes

BikeRunSki Sat 15-Sep-12 20:51:27

An independent children's shoe shop has recently opened in my village ti sell non-Clark's brands and address this exact problem.

Plenty on Startrite website.

5madthings Sat 15-Sep-12 21:51:40

start rite arent wide enough for my children sad hence going to expensive independent store BUT the shoes last and are lovely they had some great mary jane style ones that i was tempted by for my dd but i went for some ecco boot style as hopefully they will fit into winter and i thought they were better, she has some canvas mary janes for warmer days.

i am amazed at the prices in the link by gold esp as a lot of them are startrite!i do pay £50 a pair generally for my lot, x5 that makes shoe shopping expensive but they fit well and they last as long as they dont have a growth spurt the week after i buy them!

Chocoholiday Sat 15-Sep-12 22:00:10

Try shoesforkids.co.uk - been buying from them for years. Cheap quality shoes, some quite traditional. Also see their designer site.

fivegomadindorset Sat 15-Sep-12 22:01:43

Independent shoe shop, our local one si brilliant.

ProudNeathGirl Sat 15-Sep-12 22:03:30

Elefanten, Clarks, hush puppies all good.

FairyPenguin Sat 15-Sep-12 22:03:50

Independent shoe shop here too. They tend to stock Hush Puppies and Startrite, as well as lots of other makes such as Ricosta.

5madthings Sat 15-Sep-12 22:05:57

proud elefanten were bought out by clarks and no longer make their own shoes sad

ricosta, geox, ecco, buckle my shoe etc all do lovely shoes smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now