This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

girls' school shoes suitable for winter

(13 Posts)
glub Wed 05-Sep-12 22:12:18

Hi sorry I reckon this must have been done to death but a quick search didn't bring up exactly what I was after...

I'm looking for some school shoes for my daughter (reception starter, size 10) which are not the 'mary jane' style. these are lovely but summer school shoes not at all appropriate for winter in my opinion. if i am trudging around in my uggs with thick socks to avoid numb toes i would feel very cruel sending my child in in these. she goes purple easily...
clarks are no good, start rite no good (bar one pair of brogues), kickers have a couple of choices but they are fifty quid - a little more than i had hoped to be spending on a pair of basic half decent leather school shoes. she can't yet do shoelaces which rules out the brogues and I am not inclined to send her in in boots and thick socks for the 10-15 minute walk then have her change every morning, breaktime and end of the day, especially not in her first year.

i would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of some foot covering velcro/buckle shoes in which a pair of woolly socks could be stuffed.

hellymelly Wed 05-Sep-12 22:41:01

I would actually think about wellies for the walk and then shoes for school. In my dds school they don't get to play out if its rainy confused, so warmer shoes would be too bulky and maybe overly warm. They have standard t-bar or mary jane types for school. We go by car as our school is a few miles away, but if we walked I would change shoes when we got there, so they would be dry and comfortable. I think we should do what they do in scandinavia and have light soft soled indoor shoes, and then tougher ones for the walk and for play.

nancy75 Wed 05-Sep-12 22:42:55

agree with hellymelly, wellies or snow boots for the journey and normal shoes when the get there. Schools are always boiling hot inside so you don't want anything too hot!

glub Wed 05-Sep-12 23:18:54

thanks fruitpastille they look pretty suitable but don't seem to come in her size.
helly and nancy i really had hoped to avoid the whole shoe changing thing. i don't think it's fair to make her do that just because someone doesn't like the look of boots. it's not like she has clients to impress or anything... i'm sure the other kids will just wear what's available in the shops ie the summer shoes. maybe she could just go around on her socks indoors? is this something schools might allow? and i'd rather she had to put on a jumper and coat to go outside than provide two pairs of shoes...

hellymelly Fri 07-Sep-12 13:45:02

No, I don't think they would allow socks indoors. They generally specify a colour and type of shoe. (trainers not usually allowed for instance). When we did walk to school, when dd was in reception, she often wore wellies to splash about or stomp in snow on the way there, if the weather wasn't fine, and then put on her shoes when she got there, most children did that on rainy days. Then they have dry feet and are comfortable for school but can jump in puddles on the walks to and fro.

SavoyCabbage Fri 07-Sep-12 13:48:53

I don't mind the look of boots but I don't think they are comfy to wear all day at school, that's why they aren't the standard school shoe for the winter.

What about a boys covered shoe? The boys stuff always tends to be more robust. I always buy the boys Clarks doodles for my dds.

LetLoveRule Thu 13-Sep-12 19:27:15

I know exactly what you mean. We walk to school and I always buy boots for my dd. She has tall leather boots now, but when she was younger she wore short Velcro fastening ankle boots, which look nice with skirt/tights or trousers. A bit like this http://m.zalando.co.uk/ricosta-lalli-velcro-shoes-brown-ri213a00s-702.html

LetLoveRule Thu 13-Sep-12 19:27:36
Lanam Tue 06-Nov-12 12:26:33

Hi ladies. I just wondering if someone knows where I can buy black shoes with sheepskin inside for 6 y.o. girl? I found perfect ones for winter, but they don't do the size I need:
http://www.uggaustralia.co.uk/toddlers-annalie-mary-jane-shoes-uk/1000796,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_1000796_color=SGPL&start=2&cgid=toddler-girls
Thanks in advance!

anklebitersmum Tue 06-Nov-12 12:41:28

DD1 and DD2 had boots (gortex and leather called Sadie) from clarks this year as, like you say, the mary jane style is so impractical for winter.

had you seen these ? I would have bought them but DD1 preferred boots and once DD1 had boots DD2 was following the crowd wink

cgw60 Tue 08-Jan-13 13:30:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TwasBrillig Mon 19-Aug-13 23:15:17

Oh yes. We ended up with Mary Jane style as the v bar ones didn't go up to her size. I was really disappointed. Both Clarks and start rite were all the same!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now