(100 Posts)
LynetteScavo Mon 08-Dec-08 14:07:19

sign your pets name underneath yours.

It makes you look slightly odd

noiamnot Mon 08-Dec-08 14:08:02

slightly

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 08-Dec-08 14:08:21

I used to sign them from my cat.

And I would put a pretend paw print underneath it.

But I was a teenager at the time

CliffRichardSucksEggsInHell Mon 08-Dec-08 14:08:50

I sign Morty's name in blood on the card.

MadreInglese Mon 08-Dec-08 14:09:43

LOL, MIL does this

like her collies really give a rats arse that it's Christmas!

edam Mon 08-Dec-08 14:11:28

I wouldn't dream of doing this BUT my cats used to love Christmas because they got salmon. Call my mother soft but it was their Christmas treat...

nickytinseltimes Mon 08-Dec-08 14:11:37

I used to do this. blush

Now I have a toddler and let him 'help' write the cards with his crayons...

I reckon that's even worse.

WingsofaChristmasTreefairy Mon 08-Dec-08 14:12:27

We have a 'friend' that does this.

We didn't give him our new address when we moved.

So no cards from Dolly the bloody dog this year.

UnquietDad Mon 08-Dec-08 14:15:05

Don't just put your first name(s) either. It's so irritating to get a card signed "Paul and Linda" (or, worse, "Paul and <squiggle>").

Say something, even if it's just "had a great year, hope you are all OK" or "had a shit year, email if you want details", or "still working at X, managing to get away for odd weekend."

Anything, please, other than "Paul and <squiggle>".

MorrisZapp Mon 08-Dec-08 16:46:06

When my cousin was PG with her first, we got a card from 'Bob, Sue and the unborn baby'.

I don't know why but that freaked me out a bit!

TrinityRhino Mon 08-Dec-08 16:48:36

roffle @ paul and squiggle

I have been told that I am slightly weird but I have NEVER thought of signing cards with my pets names on them!

JacksFirstChristmasMama Mon 08-Dec-08 16:50:07

Could I do an ink print of DS's hand without looking slightly odd?
(Not suggesting ink print of cat's paws for obvious reasons)

FattipuffsandThinnifers Mon 08-Dec-08 17:05:29

Only acceptable to me if it's a very very close relative or friend's pet who you know and like. Obviously I've never done it blush.

shock and [ewww] at the 'unborn baby' signature! Worse than 'and bump'.

whooosh Mon 08-Dec-08 17:05:46

"and bump" makes me want to vomit!

So please don't do it.

Thank you.

EbeneezerSlouch Mon 08-Dec-08 17:10:01

My sil does this.Thought it was a pre-baby thing, but 1st child now 20mo and we still get cards signed Love from X, Y, dd and <dog's name>. Barfless.

EbeneezerSlouch Mon 08-Dec-08 17:12:53

Speaking of Paul and LInda, my dad once found a card in a library book - photo of Maccartney clan on front and signed "love from Paul, Linda and the brats".

"wow dad, where is it?" quoth I.
"Oh, I put it back, not my card to take" he respondeth. hmm

purpleangel Mon 08-Dec-08 17:21:43

We put our dogs names down on our cards as they are part of the family, simple as that.

dizzyjingles Mon 08-Dec-08 17:23:11

my pil have just sent over a present for our dog hmm

I'd rather they saved their money and visited more than once a year

PortlySackSantaInAdvent Mon 08-Dec-08 17:27:51

What's wrong with 'bump' and the dog / cat etc. name???

You're a grouchy lot full of rules aren't you? Wouldn't do for us all to be the same.

If some of my friends didn't put their animals on the card i would assume the worst - as they would with our dog.

Countingthegreyhairs Mon 08-Dec-08 17:31:20

I simply don't understand the energy devoted by so many people on this site to finding so many things -often quite trifling things - offensive.

purpleangel Mon 08-Dec-08 17:32:32

Thank you for putting that Portly my sentiments exactly. I didn't mention one of my dogs one year and people did assume the worst.

Countingthegreyhairs Mon 08-Dec-08 17:37:13

Exactly Portly and PurpleA.

Where's the harm? Where's everyone's sense of humour/generosity of spirit?

There's degrees of appropriateness of course (would not put paw marks on a card to a business colleague - but nowt wrong to my sister and vice versa).

Also I think people often add 'from the bump' just to let you know they are pregnant so it serves a practical purpose.

Wildebeest Mon 08-Dec-08 17:38:30

i have our family neatly condensed into one acronym when i used to send cards

Jux Mon 08-Dec-08 17:41:42

DD once got a birthday card from the lady down the road with all her cats names, colourings and ages; there were 18 of themshock

PavlovtheRedNosedReindeer Mon 08-Dec-08 17:47:19

LOL, when I was pg I signed it 'pavlov, pavlovs DH, bump and the cats' grin.

AND DD signs the cards with a hand print.

I do not give a jot if I am mad/odd or whetever. We all make the world go round eh? grin

chrismathsmummy25th Mon 08-Dec-08 17:47:33

oops all mine say 'and bump' this year!

It's only because I can't remember who I've told/not told about being PG..and so that they don't have to ask if they see me!

compo Mon 08-Dec-08 17:50:34

lol Jux, she must surely be as mad as a hatter

compo Mon 08-Dec-08 17:50:58

I mean who has 18 cats unless you own a cat sanctuary grin

Jux Mon 08-Dec-08 17:58:41

Yeah she was completely barmy. She invited us round to play in the garden, but couldn't allow us in the house as it was filled with cat shit, and there was a fox which used to sleep in her room and gave her scabies. Yeuch. Used to be a teacher, btw!

whooosh Mon 08-Dec-08 18:00:05

Admittedly I hadn't considered "and bump" to be the announcement of an impending arrival to people you never see so I apologise.

Cats and dogs-well part of the family so hey why not?

expatinscotland Mon 08-Dec-08 18:06:21

i'd rather see a card signed by the pets than get one of those damn round-robin letters.

Jux Mon 08-Dec-08 18:11:57

Oh they're unreadable aren't they, Expat? Absolutely hate it; the only way you can decipher them is if you already know everything they're telling you, in which case you don't need to read them. Utterly ghastly.

thenewme Mon 08-Dec-08 18:47:16

I have sent a card to the adults and dogs in the house and put from us and the cat.

So there!

tissy Mon 08-Dec-08 18:53:09

my Mum always signs cards from her goldfish as well as her ~ but only if writing to the grandchildren!

I like getting the round robin letters from my "friends" as I have a good old laugh at them. Didn't enjoy the (unexpected) one from my old boss telling everyone about her cancer, though.

NowICanSpellGeansaiNollaig Mon 08-Dec-08 18:55:51

oooh yes I agree!

'and the bump' is just about acceptable for a first pregnancy I think.

My son's OT named her CAR, 'nancy' and I struggle now to see her in her professional capacity and give her her due respect.. aibu??

SummatAnNowt Mon 08-Dec-08 19:21:28

My in-laws did this, yes they are odd! They came for the first Christmas I spent with dh and I was rather bemused to find I also had presents from the dog!

Hmm, that get me thinking, what's mumsnet etiquette on thank you letters to canines then?

Itsjustsorandom Mon 08-Dec-08 19:23:44

It's a lovely thing to do.

piscesmoon Mon 08-Dec-08 19:39:06

I used to get a present from my cat!

LynetteScavo Mon 08-Dec-08 20:55:43

You mean you sent yourself a present and pretended to yourself it was from the cat? hmm

AuraofDora Mon 08-Dec-08 21:03:52

there are cards in clintons from pets, have you not seen them?
the assistant and i had a giggle then she said the pensioners buy them tis sad really

dont mind pets on cards bumps are odd mind you
and yes rather that than a round robin bil does his in 2pt with complete lack of self awareness

piscesmoon Mon 08-Dec-08 21:48:51

No Lynette-I never asked but presume DH!

NotanOtter Mon 08-Dec-08 21:50:59

i do seal the envelope with possett

yes, its odd. i used have card from relative untill she had baby.

NotanOtter Mon 08-Dec-08 21:59:53

sorry but bump or bean are not good

CliffRichardSucksEggsInHell Mon 08-Dec-08 22:00:42

Does anyone else fancy Jack Dee?

Megglevache Mon 08-Dec-08 22:01:21

yep

pointydog Mon 08-Dec-08 22:03:31

yeah, quite fancy him

pointydog Mon 08-Dec-08 22:03:47

not half as much as sean locke, though

CliffRichardSucksEggsInHell Mon 08-Dec-08 22:04:56

Don't know who Sean Locke is. Dee is a bit like my dh in his attitude, moans about bloody everything. Difference is, Dee is sexy whilst doing it whereas dh is just bloody annoying!

pointydog Mon 08-Dec-08 22:05:47

lol

sean locke - the specky southerner on 8 out of 10 cats

changer22 Mon 08-Dec-08 22:05:58

... miss out one of my children. That's a guarantee to get removed off my Christmas card list!

EachPeachPearMum Mon 08-Dec-08 22:06:05

Heheh- NAO- do you have to buy really large cards to get all your names in?

Ivykaty44 Mon 08-Dec-08 22:08:26

OMG I now have 50 wasted Christmas card - are you sure I cant send them paul and squiggle? Have licked all the envelops now...sighs

Oh I did put Paul squiggle and two kisses is that ok?

Hopes

pointydog Mon 08-Dec-08 22:08:34

Notter is a farmer, no? Does she get all teh farm beasts to sign? Hoof prints adn beaks?

NotanOtter Mon 08-Dec-08 22:15:33

EachPeach - It is actually so annoying having to write them all

got our first christmas card today

3 out of he six childrens names were spelled wrong!

I always stress at threads on here that say dont put 'and brood' or 'and children' that's easy for them to say

I have to write 8 names in !

roisin Mon 08-Dec-08 22:21:07

Don't send me another Christmas card with no message or letter. I haven't seen you or heard from you properly for 15 years, and can hardly remember what you looked like then. If you can't be bothered to write a message, then don't bother with the card.

Don't assume I have your address. Even if you haven't moved, I might have lost my address book and had a terminal illness on the PC with all my details on.

dizzyjingles Mon 08-Dec-08 22:23:28

roisin I agree, we still get a card every year for the family that used to live here, we've been here for 7yrs - you think they'd take a hint when she doesn't send them one back hmm

no return address so I can't stick it back in the postbox either

wonder when it'll turn up this year

WalkingInAWonderStuffingLand Mon 08-Dec-08 22:28:06

Nothing wrong with pets and bump, I don't include our cat but don't look down on people who do.. BUT don't send cards to your pets, I once knew a woman who went to great trouble to save last years advent calendar and fill it with cat treats so the cat didn't feel left out, I thought she was barking, but I see you can actually buy cat and dog advent calendars in clintons MADNESS shock

pointydog Mon 08-Dec-08 23:06:47

I don't appreciate a card signed by a poet. It robs them of all their animnalistic dignity.

EachPeachPearMum Mon 08-Dec-08 23:09:06

NAO- you need to get a stamp with the all on grin
<open ink pad. lift stamp, press down....leave to dry>
Ooh- would knock hours off the job!

Countingthegreyhairs Mon 08-Dec-08 23:18:13

lol Pointy Dog

NotanOtter Mon 08-Dec-08 23:20:38

Each Peach - hmm tht actually sounds like a good idea!

EachPeachPearMum Mon 08-Dec-08 23:22:18

If it isn't festive enough... the littlies could always swab some glitter glue over the top....

UnquietDad Tue 09-Dec-08 13:37:18

I used to hate round robins, but now I rather enjoy them as they are so funny in a cringeworthy way. Especially the way they are always narrated in the third person, alternating with plural first, as if they are not quite sure who is writing it.

Then there are the names which may well be people or possibly pets.

And the references which they assume people will get. DW read one letter last year and got to the end of it and asked who this Lily was who was referred to throughout. It was this - friend's employer...

stillstanding Tue 09-Dec-08 13:41:51

So naff to sign a card from a pet but from bump is quite sweet as it is such an exciting time and I get that.

What I don't get is what my aunt does which is to sign her cards on behalf of her children and their spouses. Very odd indeed. They have flown the coop, get over it.

UnquietDad Tue 09-Dec-08 13:57:09

My parents were still getting cards addressed to them and me when I was in my twenties, years after I had moved out...

Obviously uneducated in the art of Christmas cards here, but what's a round robin?

I actually haven't sent a Christmas card for about 5 yrs now blush am a lazy bint it's, erm, bad for the environment or somefing plus I live abroad so don't get inundated by them which handily means I don't have any to return. Do send a pressie to very good friends though and include a Christmas card style gift tag (generous, me).

kalo12 Tue 09-Dec-08 14:16:06

my neighbour does this from him and his dog , he signs them 'Jim and Rusty' I wondered if they were a couple wink

Blinglovin Tue 09-Dec-08 14:24:59

Oh, I think you should all be less cynical and get into the christmas spirit. wink. My mum signs cards from the pets (although I don't know if she does that for everyone or just family) and she buys gifts for all of us from the pets and we always make a big fuss about how generous they are. It's ridiculous. But it never gets tiring or old - it's just one of those silly family jokes.

UnquietDad Tue 09-Dec-08 14:43:16

Round robin is an all-purpose letter sent to every recipient on your Christmas card list, updating them on your year's activities, whether they already know about them or not. People seem to find them amusing and annoying in equal measure.

Tortington Tue 09-Dec-08 14:45:46

george the dog will be mentioned in cards to neighbours and family.

old people like it

donnie Tue 09-Dec-08 14:50:08

specially made cards with the photo of the people sending the card as the design - what a good way to induce rapid puking. Didn't the Blairs always do that? you might as well just send a signed photo and have done.

'happy holidays' instead of 'happy Christmas' - get over yourself FFS. If you can't bring yourself to say the C word then don't send a bloody card you twat!

Bah humbug.

donnie Tue 09-Dec-08 14:50:36

oh and BTW the whole pet thing? uber freaky.

pigleypudding Tue 09-Dec-08 15:01:01

Donnie wouldn't like my cards this year then.... My 4mth old DD looking very cute wearing a giant Santa hat.

blush

No pets here to worry about but last xmas I did put Bump. I was exactly 12 weeks so also a way of announcing it- Seeing the looks on peoples faces when they read the card was priceless grin

SnowOfHands Tue 09-Dec-08 15:08:01

My brother's first poisonous mad unique wife used to have a birthday party for her jack russell. Sent out invites and everything. She sent it cards and helped it unwrap presents. And each birthday he had a bbq with a whole salmon and a steak fillet (no food for guests). Was a very naughty dog. She used to cuddle it like a baby.

Just had her first baby with her new dh. Named it after, now sadly departed, dog.

NowICanSpellGeansaiNollaig Tue 09-Dec-08 15:55:08

I'd love to send out a round robin letter boasting of my many illustrious achievements, but actually the only thing that is even a tiny bit different from this time last year is that my children are about 4 cm taller.

I could spin that out to an A4 sheet if I tried hard enough though grin

NotanOtter Tue 09-Dec-08 20:09:39

snowofhands wierd!

eachpeach - the stamp is ordered blush

EachPeachPearMum Tue 09-Dec-08 20:15:26

shock really?????
grin yay! (but will you need a new one next christmas, eh, eh???? wink
SoH- yes- that is quite disturbing- I'm assuming the dog wasn't named Mr fluffles or somesuch, poor child!

WifeandMotherof4 Tue 09-Dec-08 20:17:12

Oh I hate that, especially with the paw print, also loathe the 'bump' as I feel it just tempts fate.

NotanOtter Tue 09-Dec-08 20:22:04

wife and mother that's depressing

sadly i just think it sounds a wee bit smug!

Actually this doesn't irritate me so much as smug round robins about 'Tarquin's academic success' (Tarquin if four) hmm

However we sent ours out from DH, me, DD and DS and have already got four back saying 'who the feck is DS' (he's nearly five months FGS. hmm

Oh and MiL has sent a card to each child but none to us hmm Cowbag!

NotanOtter Tue 09-Dec-08 20:29:54

sounds familiar wmmc

EachPeachPearMum Tue 09-Dec-08 20:44:52

<snort> 'Who the feck is DS?'
Oh dearie me! What have you replied?

I signed my Christmas cards from TTT, hubby and baby due March, when I was pregnant with ds. It was the easy way to tell distant family the news.

I used to write my uncle's card from our cats, Domino and Tiger, and add his cats' names to the card as well. blush

NotanOtter Tue 09-Dec-08 20:57:30

lol Each peach - easily done!

BellaKissedSanta Tue 09-Dec-08 21:00:05

Friends of my parents used to have cards printed from their dog. Just the dog.

shock

WifeandMotherof4 Tue 09-Dec-08 21:05:41

NaO....smug??

NotanOtter Tue 09-Dec-08 21:10:53

?

EachPeachPearMum - I haven't, I've just removed them from the address book. If they can't be arsed to find out I'm pregnant for nine months nor that I have a son who is five months next week they clearly aren't close friends hmm

Saves me on stamps next year anyway grin

Jux Wed 10-Dec-08 11:11:10

DH and I are considering sending out a round robin this year, detailing all the deaths (3), serious illness (5), bad debts (1 huge one) and so on. We thought we could make it ironic.

And then maybe my relatives will stop sending us rr's that are so bloody clever-clever that I don't know who they're referring to, let alone what they're talking about.grin "Tarquin celebrated his 19th in true epicurean style..." is understandable enough but "... he continues with his four-legged friends and has discovered that picking up the 'poo' in France is great fun." What? Has he become a sewage worker on the continent? Is he now a French dog groomer? WTF? Half the time I don't read them.

EightiesChick Wed 10-Dec-08 11:30:36

Does anyone really get round robins anymore? I thought they had been so thoroughly stigmatised that no-one did them. I used to do one for long-distance friends but stopped a few years ago. I guess Facebook has made them redundant now anyway though I'm not on it, which is why I still quite like the round-robin idea blush

I sign cards from our cat if I'm writing one to a cat person, and by the same token would address a card to them and their cats (I know a few people like this) but wouldn't do it on every single card.

This year, having first DC, I was tempted to put 'and bump', but thinking about it, this is the last year I'll be able to write the 'love from EC and EC's DH' that I can now do in my sleep, so I'm sticking with that and will add in new DC next year!

EightiesChick Wed 10-Dec-08 11:31:52

I do however hate it when people moan about not being able to get religious/non-religious Christmas stamps. People are still doing it this year even though you can now get either, instead of it alternating years like it used to.

Pruners Wed 10-Dec-08 11:42:38

Message withdrawn

Horton Thu 11-Dec-08 17:16:30

We have a 'friend' who not only signs the card from his dog but also includes a family portrait (bloke, wife and dog all together as a happy family). NGGGHHHFFFKKK.

Still, DD likes the picture of the dog.

So it's not OK to sign cards from me, the dog and the cacti as well, then? grin

Yes, I did. But I was a teenager and it was just to my parents...

EvilGnome Fri 12-Dec-08 23:14:37

pah...you're all miserable sods! I signed all my cards "from baby Bean (or bump) and the cats"...and they all had handpainted designs by my daughter. I can do what i bloody like with the cards i am sending to other people...be grateful you even get them!!!
It's sad to be honest...that you're all making excuses like "I was a teenager"...pah, grow up and be yourselves! Stop conforming to what you think you should be and just be jolly! smile

EvilGnome Fri 12-Dec-08 23:17:17

or maybe i am mad? who cares...i'm happy!

MotherChristmas2OliverJames Sat 13-Dec-08 03:16:40

last year we signed our cards from M2OJ, D2OJ and bump!

This year i will let DS scribble in the cards before i write them.

I dont have a pet but my M+D and N+G both have pets and they put them in their cards!

OLIVIASMAMA Sat 13-Dec-08 04:34:29

Baaaaa Humbug you lot, my cards are signed from Me, DH, DD and (LOL wingsofachristmastreefairy) Dolly the dog too.grin

.....and I send them to people I've not seen for years and I'm thinking of sending some more as I completely forgot the idea of DD's photo on the front wearing the Father Christmas hat, oh and the round robin!! grin grin grin.

Goodwill To All wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now