(101 Posts)
BoysAreLikeRabidDogs Sat 11-Oct-08 16:22:49

Christmas Pudding Vodka

1 litre vodka
4 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
peel of 1 orange and 1 lemon
25g each currants, raisins, dried figs(halved if large)

Combine all ingredients in large bowl or jug, then decant into large (they recommend 1.3 litre) sterilised (dishwasher okay) bottle. Seal with cork or screw cap.

Leave for at least 2 weeks in a dark place, shaking occasionally to agitate the ingredients, then use a funnel lined with a coffee filter paper to decant into "pretty sterilised bottles of your choice" (but no info on where to get them!) - add a fresh piece of lemon and orange peel and a fresh cinnamon stick if you like.

With thanks to Bramshott

envy at plum gin

BoysAreLikeRabidDogs Sat 11-Oct-08 21:02:22

yumyum yum Katy

These recipes and whatnot are super

KatyMac Sat 11-Oct-08 21:09:40

I am only having a thimble full as I don't really do alcohol - it makes me so hungover

BoysAreLikeRabidDogs Sat 11-Oct-08 21:12:05

For medicinal purposes a thimbleful is perfick

smile

BoysAreLikeZombies Sun 12-Oct-08 17:19:47

Horton's recipe for Lemon Gin:

'Lemon gin is really easy - just peel off a couple of curls of lemon peel and pop them in the bottle and leave for a month or two. You can also add sugar. A little is quite nice, lots makes it more of a liqueur. Lime and orange are also nice.'

Oooh lovely

Horton Sun 12-Oct-08 17:49:48

Oh, you already put it here!

I'm another Sainsburys Basics gin devotee, Bramshott.

I've also successfully made gooseberry vodka and blueberry vodka in the past (chuck fruit in booze, leave for a bit, shake occasionally). Raspberry gin works really well, too, with the same method.

Horton Sun 12-Oct-08 17:51:09

Do you think blackberry gin would work with frozen brambles? I have tons that I froze because we couldn't eat them quickly enough.

BoysAreLikeZombies Sun 12-Oct-08 17:55:09

Yes, I think that frozen or fresh makes no difference.

I used frozen sloes last year to make sloe gin becuase someone told me that the skins split on their own as they defrost. Yippee says I, no need to prick each sodding individual sloe [purple fingers emoticon] and it was fine.

Lush in fact.

Horton Sun 12-Oct-08 18:02:59

Brilliant, thanks. I am definitely going to be trying bramble gin.

AbricotsSecs Mon 13-Oct-08 18:59:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

goingslowlyroundthebend Mon 13-Oct-08 19:05:35

Quince brandy.

We used the quinces/crab apples off the bust that lives between us and our neighbours. Chop up lots (not good on quantity) add cheapest cooking brandy possible, two oranges, half a bag of muscovado sugar. All in a demi john, shake at random moments over the year. Tasted this weekend lovely!

Also used the quince to make membrillo which is fab!

My mother in law studs oranges with coffee beans, puts in a medium preservative jar. Three tablespoons of brown sugar then fills with cooking brandy. Six months later, pissed MIL!

AbricotsSecs Mon 13-Oct-08 19:15:21

AbricotsSecs Mon 13-Oct-08 22:04:09

AbricotsSecs Tue 14-Oct-08 10:03:25

Horton Tue 14-Oct-08 11:45:46

I think it's prettier with the fruit strained out but if you leave the fruit in, the flavour keeps getting stronger. What did your googling suggest?

Quince brandy sounds absolutely lovely.

goingslowlyroundthebend Tue 14-Oct-08 13:45:34

Depending on what the fruit when strained you can use it as great sauce for ice cream. However you will feel wobbly!

AbricotsSecs Tue 14-Oct-08 21:39:00

BoysAreLikeZombies Tue 14-Oct-08 21:44:29

Sorry Hoochie

Strain through a muslin bag, or jam strainer.

I have in the past used variously a sieve and a colander.

Sloes are yeuch too bitter but fruit like raspberries/blackberries are mmmm-hmmm. Be warned, boozy fruit can be sneaky.

grin

AbricotsSecs Wed 15-Oct-08 19:43:10

traceybath Wed 15-Oct-08 20:21:33

has anyone found any sloes this year? there are none near us at all.

AbricotsSecs Thu 16-Oct-08 14:41:57

AbricotsSecs Thu 16-Oct-08 14:50:51

Horton Thu 16-Oct-08 17:42:58

Haha! Would probably make for an interesting Christmas if all the children were pissed or hungover.

AbricotsSecs Thu 16-Oct-08 19:32:37

Hassled Sun 15-Nov-09 17:39:29

I'm reviving this because I've finally made the Christmas Pudding vodka and it is bloody lovely stuff - many thanks .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now