(101 Posts)
BoysAreLikeRabidDogs Sat 11-Oct-08 16:22:49

Christmas Pudding Vodka

1 litre vodka
4 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
peel of 1 orange and 1 lemon
25g each currants, raisins, dried figs(halved if large)

Combine all ingredients in large bowl or jug, then decant into large (they recommend 1.3 litre) sterilised (dishwasher okay) bottle. Seal with cork or screw cap.

Leave for at least 2 weeks in a dark place, shaking occasionally to agitate the ingredients, then use a funnel lined with a coffee filter paper to decant into "pretty sterilised bottles of your choice" (but no info on where to get them!) - add a fresh piece of lemon and orange peel and a fresh cinnamon stick if you like.

With thanks to Bramshott

MOrticiaAdams Sat 11-Oct-08 16:45:31

O M G!!! That sounds bloody lovely! Thankyou Bramshott and thank YOU Boys, me old mucker, for posting it! grin

Just bottled 10 bottles of homemade red wine this morning, so I've got something else to do now! grin

SqueakyPop Sat 11-Oct-08 16:48:30

Sloe gin

Fill a gin bottle with pricked sloes. Add a wine glass of sugar. Top up with fresh gin.

Give it a shake about once a week for a couple of months, and drink in the new year.

brookeslay Sat 11-Oct-08 17:01:12

Irish Cream

450ml whisky
1 400g can evaporated milk
1 400g can condensed milk
1 tsp instant coffee
½ tsp vanilla extract
60ml Kahlua (optional)

PREPARATION:

Whizz everything together in a blender for 1 minute. Bottle and store in a refrigerator.

Cranberry and Raspbery Vodka

1 litre vodka
600g fresh cranberries, roughly chopped (if you can't get fresh cranberries, use frozen, or substitute with any other seasonal berry)
600g fresh raspberries
900g sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice

PREPARATION:

1. Put everything into a glass container and stir gently until the sugar dissolves. Cover tightly and store in a cupboard for 3 weeks.

2. After three weeks, sieve the liqueur into a clean, sterilised container, pressing the fruits through with the back of a wooden spoon. Strain this sieved liquid through double muslin, squeezing the juice from the pulp.

3. Leave for a couple of hours to allow sediment to settle, then filter again, this time through a coffee filter. This could take several hours, so top up the level whenever you pass by. You may need more than one filter. All this is necessary to avoid cloudy liquid. Pour into clean bottles

browntrout Sat 11-Oct-08 17:16:21

i know i sound like a right heathen but im not very good at neat spirits. would the xmas pud vodka be drinkable without a mixer? Am guessing the additional ingredients will sweeten it up a lot but just in case it is still too hard to get down?! it sounds so lovely i really want to try it.

BoysAreLikeRabidDogs Sat 11-Oct-08 17:19:39

You could mix the Xmas Pud vodka with tonic or Nice Lemonade, but it's very lovely on it's own, sweet and sticky.

<<burp>>

browntrout Sat 11-Oct-08 17:26:12

sounds utterly gorgeous - thanks so much!

brookeslay Sat 11-Oct-08 17:27:53

From Delia website

Sicilian recipe for Mandarin liquer.

Peel 10 mandarin oranges, and separate the segments. Do not remove the seeds, and liquidise segments with seeds inside, in food processor with the peel of one of the oranges.
Place in bowl and add 3 cups of sugar. Mix well, cover with plate and refrigerate for 2 days, stirring twice a day.

Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium high and keep rolling boil for approx 20 mins until the syrup coats back of spoon.

Cool for 15 mins. Put into sterile bottle and add two and a half cups of 80 per cent proof vodka.

Keep for one month, then strain through sieve at least four times. It will become thinner after each strain. Bottle

AbricotsSecs Sat 11-Oct-08 17:30:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Sat 11-Oct-08 17:30:48

orange liquer

peel 3 large oranges, leaving as much of the white rind on the fruit as possible.

place in a lidded jar.

add 3 cups brandy.

cover tightly and let sit for 3 weeks at room temp in a dark place.

remove rind.

stir in 1 cup honey.

cover again and let sit in the dark at room temp for 3 days.

strain off clear portion to give away and use cloudy portion for cooking.

BoysAreLikeRabidDogs Sat 11-Oct-08 20:10:10

mmmmmm

Atholl Brose

In to an empty whisky bottle add-
toasted oatmeal
a cup of honey
a tub of double cream
top up with whisky
give it a good shake before drinking

or

1 cup of fresh rasperries or brambles (put them into an empty whisky bottle
1 cup of sugar
top up with whisky
leave it to sit for a year

Mercy Sat 11-Oct-08 20:28:38

Does the oatmeal break down?

phdlife Sat 11-Oct-08 20:32:20

we made Plum Gin once - from memory and going back about 11 years:

Fill a large jar with plums (maybe 1lb? 2?) - I used a HUGE jar, anyway
add 2c sugar
Pour over 1 litre of gin

upend the jar once a week

think you had to leave it a couple of months

mind you dh and I couldn't bear the end result, gave it all to a friend who loved it at a party grin

I use pinhead oatmeal as it has a strong taste but the brose we make sees the oatmeal settle at the bottom.
It does look like Brasso when it is ready but tastes really lovely.

expatinscotland Sat 11-Oct-08 20:35:12

i strain out the oats, but do use pinhead as well.

We make an oatmeal drink if anyone is feeling poorly by soaking the pinhead oatmeal overnight in lots of water, strain it the next day and add honey and a little lemon to it.
It is really nice.

Hassled Sat 11-Oct-08 20:42:39

How musch oatmeal are we talking? My father used to make Atholl Brose and I've searched for recipes since he died, but I'm sure oatmeal didn't feature in his version.

Bramshott Sat 11-Oct-08 20:45:14

Ooh, ooh I am famous!! grin Did you like it BoysAreLikeDogs? I was just trying to work out whether to make it this year too.

Now at the bottom of my larder this year I have:

BLACKBERRY GIN
1lb blackberries to 1pt gin
approx 1/4lb of sugar to every 1lb of blackberries, depending on the sweetness of the fruit.
Combine in a bottle (you need twice a much bottle space as the volume of the gin if that makes sense) and shake every other day for a month and then occasionly. Bottle after 2-3 months - i.e. for Christmas

This is great because the blackberries are free (there are still some on the bushes if you're quick). I used Sainsburys Value gin at £6.00 for a bottle - although I did have an embarassing moment when I met 3 different mums from school in Sainsbury's whilst brandishing Value Gin in one hand and a baby in the other grin [hic]

expatinscotland Sat 11-Oct-08 20:45:53

like a teacup full is what i use.

you can buy it ready made and it's not got the oats, but the traditional recipe has.

it's from a legend.

that the Earl of Argyll (ye old Campbells) fell out with the Earl Atholl (Murray) back when they were still earls and not dukes as they are now.

and Atholl chased Argyll back here, to the West.

but Argyll (their name doesn't mean crooked for nothing! ) escaped him.

so Atholl set siege on him, tricky considering the location of the Argyll seat.

Atholl introduced whisky and oats and cream and honey into a well feeding the house of Argyll and then attacked when they were all a bit worse for the wear.

a successful attack, apparently!

Mercy Sat 11-Oct-08 20:54:29

lol at Brasso!

What is pinhead oatmeal please?

Hassled Sat 11-Oct-08 20:56:58

lol - I come from a long line of Murrays - not the family surname but it has always been used as a second middle name and my father spent large parts of my youth embarrassing me in his Murray kilt (bear in mind I've never actually lived in Scotland despite having a very Scots Gaelic name ). Right, I am going to make Atholl Brose (with oatmeal) this Christmas and we will all think of him - thank you

BoysAreLikeRabidDogs Sat 11-Oct-08 20:57:00

There is a recipe here with quantities but has no cream in it.

I often wondered why it was called Atholl brose expat but did not know the story.

It is really good for when you feel fluey or really cold.

KatyMac Sat 11-Oct-08 21:00:57

I am sitting here drinking Plum Gin made before DD was born

DD is 11 next month blush

I haven't had any since I moved to Norfolk (8 years ago)

Gosh is it strong

envy at plum gin

BoysAreLikeRabidDogs Sat 11-Oct-08 21:02:22

yumyum yum Katy

These recipes and whatnot are super

KatyMac Sat 11-Oct-08 21:09:40

I am only having a thimble full as I don't really do alcohol - it makes me so hungover

BoysAreLikeRabidDogs Sat 11-Oct-08 21:12:05

For medicinal purposes a thimbleful is perfick

smile

BoysAreLikeZombies Sun 12-Oct-08 17:19:47

Horton's recipe for Lemon Gin:

'Lemon gin is really easy - just peel off a couple of curls of lemon peel and pop them in the bottle and leave for a month or two. You can also add sugar. A little is quite nice, lots makes it more of a liqueur. Lime and orange are also nice.'

Oooh lovely

Horton Sun 12-Oct-08 17:49:48

Oh, you already put it here!

I'm another Sainsburys Basics gin devotee, Bramshott.

I've also successfully made gooseberry vodka and blueberry vodka in the past (chuck fruit in booze, leave for a bit, shake occasionally). Raspberry gin works really well, too, with the same method.

Horton Sun 12-Oct-08 17:51:09

Do you think blackberry gin would work with frozen brambles? I have tons that I froze because we couldn't eat them quickly enough.

BoysAreLikeZombies Sun 12-Oct-08 17:55:09

Yes, I think that frozen or fresh makes no difference.

I used frozen sloes last year to make sloe gin becuase someone told me that the skins split on their own as they defrost. Yippee says I, no need to prick each sodding individual sloe [purple fingers emoticon] and it was fine.

Lush in fact.

Horton Sun 12-Oct-08 18:02:59

Brilliant, thanks. I am definitely going to be trying bramble gin.

AbricotsSecs Mon 13-Oct-08 18:59:23

goingslowlyroundthebend Mon 13-Oct-08 19:05:35

Quince brandy.

We used the quinces/crab apples off the bust that lives between us and our neighbours. Chop up lots (not good on quantity) add cheapest cooking brandy possible, two oranges, half a bag of muscovado sugar. All in a demi john, shake at random moments over the year. Tasted this weekend lovely!

Also used the quince to make membrillo which is fab!

My mother in law studs oranges with coffee beans, puts in a medium preservative jar. Three tablespoons of brown sugar then fills with cooking brandy. Six months later, pissed MIL!

AbricotsSecs Mon 13-Oct-08 19:15:21

AbricotsSecs Mon 13-Oct-08 22:04:09

AbricotsSecs Tue 14-Oct-08 10:03:25

Horton Tue 14-Oct-08 11:45:46

I think it's prettier with the fruit strained out but if you leave the fruit in, the flavour keeps getting stronger. What did your googling suggest?

Quince brandy sounds absolutely lovely.

goingslowlyroundthebend Tue 14-Oct-08 13:45:34

Depending on what the fruit when strained you can use it as great sauce for ice cream. However you will feel wobbly!

AbricotsSecs Tue 14-Oct-08 21:39:00

BoysAreLikeZombies Tue 14-Oct-08 21:44:29

Sorry Hoochie

Strain through a muslin bag, or jam strainer.

I have in the past used variously a sieve and a colander.

Sloes are yeuch too bitter but fruit like raspberries/blackberries are mmmm-hmmm. Be warned, boozy fruit can be sneaky.

grin

AbricotsSecs Wed 15-Oct-08 19:43:10

traceybath Wed 15-Oct-08 20:21:33

has anyone found any sloes this year? there are none near us at all.

AbricotsSecs Thu 16-Oct-08 14:41:57

AbricotsSecs Thu 16-Oct-08 14:50:51

Horton Thu 16-Oct-08 17:42:58

Haha! Would probably make for an interesting Christmas if all the children were pissed or hungover.

AbricotsSecs Thu 16-Oct-08 19:32:37

Hassled Sun 15-Nov-09 17:39:29

I'm reviving this because I've finally made the Christmas Pudding vodka and it is bloody lovely stuff - many thanks .

ChristmasTrulyReigns Mon 29-Nov-10 19:25:52

I'm bumping this old thread because I searched for a raspberry vodka recipe, and found this Christmas Pudding Vodka recipe in the OP and thought others may be interested.

You may thank me in shot glasses. grin

ChristmasTrulyReigns Mon 13-Dec-10 20:46:17

Just resurrecting again (yawn) as wondering if there's anyone around who knows anything about fruit vodkas?

Specifically is it too late to start one now to be presented on Christmas Eve?

And would it work with strawberries or blueberries?

TIA smile

strawberries or blueberries would do the trick

350g caster sugar

70cl vodka

about 500 g fruit (or however much you've got)

shove it all in a kilner-type jar

agitate every day for a week but keep somewhere dark and cool (shed/garage)

when you strain keep the fruit for spooning into your gob over ice cream

ChristmasTrulyReigns Mon 13-Dec-10 21:03:36

Thanks BALD.

I will try it tomorrow with blueberries (on special at Lidl).

I've got a raspberry one on the go and sampled it tonight - ManAlive it's lush. I don't want to give it away. blush

Is the expectation that the fruit slightly discolours though - I was a bit hmm about the change in some of my raspberries?

yy raspberry might be a bit brown-y

not to worry, 's'all about the taste innit

my raspberry, grown by FIL's own fair hand in Bonnie Scottieland this summer, got broken in the garage sob sob sob

I've got a greengage brandy that looks like mare's urine but tastes DIVINE

grin

ooh oooh

a really quick kahlua:

70cl cheapo brandy
vanilla pod
300 g sugar
a cup of strong black coffee (please not nescaff)

ready by Xmas

ClaireDeLoon Mon 13-Dec-10 21:13:26

I did cranberry and orange vodka

Ingredients
250g fresh or frozen cranberries
Pared zest of 2 oranges
175-200g caster sugar, to taste
1 litre unbranded vodka

Put the cranberries into a shallow dish and stab them with a fork, but don’t reduce to a mush. Put them into 2 sterilised, wide-necked jars with lids, with the strips of orange zest and the sugar. Pour over the vodka, seal and leave somewhere dark for 2 weeks, shaking the jar now and then (about once a week), until the sugar has dissolved.

Strain the liquid through a muslin- lined sieve into a jug, decant into sterilised bottles, seal and label.

If you did it tomorrow it would be ready by Christmas and then freeze it so it is served ice cold.

ClaireDeLoon Mon 13-Dec-10 21:14:07

I'm very very tempted by the Christmas Pudding vodka.

ClaireDeLoon Mon 13-Dec-10 21:15:26

ACtually got my dates off - not ready for Christmas but you could have it for New Year?

now I made cranberry and orange vodka one year and it really wasn't ready til the following summer - but I used frozen so maybe that made a difference?

Xmas pud vodka is oh my gosh IYSWIM, it smells EXACTLY like Xmas pud

ChristmasTrulyReigns Mon 13-Dec-10 21:42:49

Could I get away with it do you think BALD, in your OP you suggest 2 weeks. sad

Xmas Pud will be fine, it was the cranberry that was not really ready, the cranberries were V sour I think

go for it

ClaireDeLoon Mon 13-Dec-10 21:47:44

I think looking at it again I wouldn't try the cranberry for this year because it says 3-4 weeks before it can be drunk.

YaMaYaMa Mon 31-Oct-11 13:45:47

Bumping as I'm on the look out for a Christmas Whiskey recipe. Although mmmmm at the idea of Christmas Pudding Vodka grin

Kveta Mon 10-Sep-12 16:35:11

bumping for all the homemade christmas folks.

rhubarb schnapps:

Ingredients
1 ½ pounds of rhubarb, cut into 1&#8243; pieces
1 cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, slit down the side
8-10 green cardamom pods
1 liter of vodka (Don’t bother buying the good stuff.)

Preparation
Place all ingredients in a large jar.
Put the lid on and shake well.
Store the jar in a cool, dark place for six weeks.
Shake the jar every other day for the first month.
Strain into a clean bottle.
Serve it neat and chilled. Or over ice with a little sparkling water. Or mix a little with some champagne. Enjoy!

SharonGless Mon 10-Sep-12 23:06:34

Thanks for bumping. I made Xmas pudding vodka and citrus whisky both of which went down a treat

ShoopShoop Tue 11-Sep-12 09:25:11

Oooh thanks Kveta. Will try the rhubarb schnapps at the weekend thanks

Elizabeth22 Tue 11-Sep-12 14:31:44

We used to dissolve werthers originals in vodka by shaking the bottle every now and then. Also did one with vodka and melted mars bars that tasted like baileys. Yum. Not sure they made it as presents - except to ourselves! wink

Bramble Brandy .
Blackberries ,
The same weight of sugar
tesco value brandy .
Mix all together in a glass bottle ( I'm using an empty , sterilised Gold Blend jar ) shake or stir every so often , strain and bottle .
Keeps well , ( apparently , didn't in our house Oh no ! )
Thanks for bumping .

moajab Tue 11-Sep-12 23:21:32

I made the Christmas pudding vodka last year and it was fab! I want to try the werthers vodka this year as well. Can anyone tell me how much werthers I need?

PuggyMum Tue 11-Sep-12 23:36:46

My friend has just made skittles vodka - separating the colours! Looks really effective too!!

I've just made blueberry vodka as there were tons in the reduced section a couple of weeks ago. Added a vanilla pod and lemon zest and it's lovely... And strong!

Kveta Wed 12-Sep-12 08:03:37

I made raspberry vod last year too - handful of frozen raspberries, handful of sugar, bottle of vodka - it was very very yummy! wasn't impressed with the citrus whisky though.

rainbowsprite1 Wed 12-Sep-12 09:50:48

I made damson vodka last year and it was gorgeous & this morning I have made blackberry vodka with some I picked yesterday.

However I am now going to have to go out in the rain to the shop to get cloves and a cinnamon stick so I can make the christmas pud vodka which sounds amazing! smile

flyoverthegoldenhill Thu 13-Sep-12 08:44:47

I made chilli vodka last year. Just pricked a chilli and popped it in a bottle of aldi vodka. It actually went iridescent !

gillyweed Thu 13-Sep-12 21:09:27

mmmmm some delicious ideas on here! Can't wait to try the rhubarb vodka!

Does it matter what you make your alcohol in? I'm currently 6 days into making fig brandy, in a plastic bowl with a plate covering it- I'm making just short of 2 litres.

Its obviously not completely air tight but its sort of sealed... my instincts tell me this will be fine, am i missing a vital bit of chemistry here!

McKayz Fri 14-Sep-12 16:14:03

I found this Skittle vodka recipe. I am thinking of trying it out for xmas presents.

DoingTheBestICan Sun 16-Sep-12 21:03:19

Last yr I made sherbet lemon vodka,I don't drink but dh said it was nice,also made raspberry vodka,cherry vodka and Christmas pudding vodka.

Quite fancy making the rhubarb one this yr too.

StabbingWestward Sun 16-Sep-12 22:24:28

Does anyone know if the xmas pudding recipe would work with rum? Or scotch?

flyoverthegoldenhill Sun 16-Sep-12 23:06:33

stabbing are you me ? I actually was thinking that this afternoon. I fancy trying it with scotch. And this will be the weirdest yet I'm thinking of trying carrot vodka, would it go orange ? Would it be great in a bloody mary ? I might give it a go and report back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I maybe gone some time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And if MNHQ are awake ........how about elderberry gin ?

RaisinDEtre Sun 16-Sep-12 23:11:12

I so would do Xmas pudding with rum, not sure about scotch

elderberry gin would do okay I am sure, treat like blackcurrant/other soft fruit but high tannin so would leave for over a year before straining/bottling

flyoverthegoldenhill Mon 17-Sep-12 00:00:16

thanks raisin I could put the elderberry away till next year.

Kveta Mon 24-Sep-12 19:51:59

has anyone tried liquer 44 before btw?

Zeeky Tue 25-Sep-12 10:44:57

I made some Christmas pudding rum last year and it wasn't a success (although DH enjoyed it!) Maybe it was me ballsing up the recipe or maybe it just works better with vodka?

MonthlyChange Wed 26-Sep-12 13:25:45

How much do you give people as presents? Was thinking on giving each person a selection of different alcohols. So 100ml of each or 250ml etc ?

MonthlyChange Wed 26-Sep-12 19:28:47

Or is that still too small? Would you go 500ml?

Zeeky Wed 26-Sep-12 19:56:30

I used these bottles for mine last year, which are 200ml & I think it was plenty, particularly if giving more then one flavour. I reckon you could get away with smaller ones if giving multiples to the same person.

MonthlyChange Wed 26-Sep-12 20:57:00

oo pretty!

Zeeky Wed 26-Sep-12 20:59:31

Monthly they often do special offers on bulk buying. I got a box of the bottles which worked out much cheaper per bottle, as otherwise makes the gifts more pricey!

RaisinDEtre Wed 26-Sep-12 21:05:03

200 ml plenty

Zeeky wrt the xmas pud vodka - I am surprised it didn't work with rum, have you tried it recently? A good long rest between last Xmas and now might have smoothed it down beautifully

Zeeky Wed 26-Sep-12 22:11:02

It did all get drunk, so couldn't have been that bad!! Not fond of rum myself, so didn't try any, but my parents said they weren't keen. Or maybe it just hadn't matured enough like you say, as it was only left to infuse for the minimum amount of time.

givemeaclue Sat 29-Sep-12 19:10:04

Any suggestions for the 1.3 litre bottles to brew the Christmas pudding vodka in?

Zeeky Sat 29-Sep-12 19:15:39

I just used a big kilner jar.

MrsTwinks Sat 29-Sep-12 19:28:30

i've used 2 litre plastic bottles before for making gins, work fine

If anyone has sloes and is bored of gin, I made Rum with vanilla sugar. Lush it is.

cupcakefairy Sat 29-Sep-12 22:00:54

Does the Christmas pudding recipe work with gin? Has anyone tried it?

Allalonenow Sun 30-Sep-12 18:16:10

Quarante-quatre
Someone mentioned this up thread, but as they've not posted a recipe, I hope they don't mind if I post mine.

Take one orange and stab it through the skin into the flesh 44 times. Into each slot push a coffee bean. Put it into a large Kilner type jar and add 44 sugar lumps. Fill the jar up with alcohol. In France I use "Alcool pour Fruits" but any cheap vodka will be fine.
Leave somewhere cool, shaking the jar gently every few days. After 44 days decant into a clean bottle.
This is the basic method, I sometimes reduce the sugar, or use brown sugar or use tangerines or also put a few stips of peel from a fresh orange in the final bottle.

Now if anyone has an Italian grandmother with a recipe for Lemoncello, I would love to try making that.

Tuftysquirrel Wed 03-Oct-12 22:45:40

Loved loved loved the christmas pudding vodka I made from this recipe last Christmas-sadly so did everyone else so the experimental 500mls I made didn't last any time at all! It was fantastic even though I only made it two weeks before Christmas with Sainsburys or Tescos value vodka. Planning industrial-scale quantities this year!

Anybody got a home-made Limoncello recipe?

RaisinDEtre Wed 03-Oct-12 22:57:19

made this many times, tis lush mine always looks thin compared to the pic in the link, that one looks somehow eggy hmm

RaisinDEtre Wed 03-Oct-12 22:58:10

oops, that was sposed to say Limoncello recipe, made this many times blah de blah

Tuftysquirrel Thu 04-Oct-12 22:54:51

Thanks RaisonDEtre, that looks great and not too complicated. Had no idea limoncello was made from vodka but explains why it is so alcoholic! Looks like I need to buy a job lot of vodka this christmas...

Onykahonie Mon 04-Nov-13 20:48:28

Gilly, I made mine in a plastic jug covered with clingfilm and kept it in the fridge.

Here's my Limoncello recipe

Sparkleandshine Fri 22-Nov-13 18:03:49

Time to get this one going this year!!! I'm doing Christmas pudding vodka!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now