Getting ready for Christmas. Has anyone started yet?

(58 Posts)
shinyshoes Tue 14-Jul-09 09:47:31

Thanks to Parachutes wink Has anyone started getting things ready or thinking about it yet??

I have got my christmas chocolates in already. Roses and Quality Streets. I got them in Somerfield when they were half price. I'm not a lover of chocolate so I know they'll be safe until christmas. I have eaten the Wine gums though blush

The DSi console is being bought at the end of the month for DS1 but i've been picking things up like little toiletries ready to make my hampers.

MrsThePoint Thu 06-Aug-09 15:17:02

Interesting thread. Some people get very involved, considering it is still only August, however, I have to say that yes, in a basic way, I have started getting ready for Christmas. I buy cheap wrap, cards and bog-standard adult gifts (toiletries sets etc.) in the January sales, and pick up small toys when they are reduced/cheap. I put them all in a box (well, actually three now) so that throughout the year for birthdays as well as Christmas I know I have presents ready in the house.

For example, Argos have an inflatable jousting kit on offer at the moment, which at 4.69 I think is reasonable given it will probably burst in play before long, but I wouldn’t pay £14.69 for it. It’s gone in the pressie box!

I also keep an eye on ebay, as prices can be really good there. And when supermarkets reduce their clothes cheap (like 25% off at Sainsbury’s the other week) I pick up baby clothes then as there is always someone who has a baby and also children’s clothes in larger sizes than my friend’s children currently are so that come their next birthday I can give them age appropriate clothes. Does that make any sense?

And shinyshoes I really like the gold gift theme, but will probably not do anything about it until November at the earliest.

shinyshoes Thu 23-Jul-09 11:52:58

The DSi for my DS1 is being bought tomorrow. It would have been bought today but i'm skiving off sick from work and can't be seen out grin

SammyK Tue 21-Jul-09 10:07:06

Went in BHS yesterday and the had lots of xmas things reduced to 50p. Got some wrapping paper, nice serving plates, and star confetti. smile

Already have some wrapping paper and all my cards from Jan sales, plus a few presents too!

RustyBear Fri 17-Jul-09 23:03:39

Is this the place to admit that my Christmas tree was still up and decorated until DS returned from university a couple of weeks ago and took it all down? blush

In my (somewhat feeble) defence I did move it out of the sitting room some time ago, but I dumped it in the old playroom, which we don't go in much as it was full of stuff from MIL's old house which DH & I didn't have time or willpower to sort - DS has taken it in hand with his usual efficiency & cleared the lot.

Only in Britain!!! (Or maybe also in the States?)

eandh Thu 16-Jul-09 16:27:14

I give my Mum £50 a month that she gives back to me in October, by then I have normally worked out who is getting what and do a mass order or hot the shops!

We have decided we are getting dd1 a nice wooden lidt up desk and chair as main present and have no idea for dd2 (and her birthday is 5th Jan??) got soem stocking bits in the sale this year so they are half done

I do have a budget spreadsheet but its the same as last years and just helps me keep on track grin

Bramshott Thu 16-Jul-09 16:16:16

Yes but there's early as in late November rather than December 23rd, and then there's early as in JULY which is clearly insane!!!

Saving for Christmas from July is a great idea, but shopping and planning for it?!?!?!?!!? shock

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 16-Jul-09 16:15:31

My only preparation is money going into a seperate savings account each month.

I have started to keep a vague eye out for presents, if I see something I think is perfect for someone then I will probably get it, but I won't be going shopping specifically for things for another 3 months yet.

shinyshoes Thu 16-Jul-09 16:08:29

Tis not mad, it's called being organised and not caught out unawares at the last minute grin

How many of you say 'i'm definatley starting early next year' wink

I might order my food from M&S this year I will have to pick up a brochure although something tells me they won't be out yet. I can't do another turkey this year not after last years disater have never cooked a dry turkey in my life yet last years was disgusting it was so dry. I might pull out all the stops this year for something extra special.

I got in the cupboard yesturday and sorted out a box to put all cards and wrapping paper in. It looks as though i'll have plenty for christmas.

My sister has a Tesco stamp card as a little thank you each year because she helps out with the baby sometimes whilst I work, that's all full. I have started one for us now.

The only thing I will leave until the lasyt minute is booze, I like a drink and I bought it all beginning of December last year needless to say the Chivas Regal was calling out to me and ended up getting a hammering grin.

Yes, have thought about it.....am hoping our house purchase might have finally gone through by then!!! Won't properly start things until September, I have to wait for the nights to start drawing in myself, but I admire your enthusiasm

parachutes Thu 16-Jul-09 15:40:56

blush
just seen this!

GodzillasBumcheek Thu 16-Jul-09 15:35:27

But then i have already planned to do baking this year, bought gift boxes and wrapping in January...does that count?

GodzillasBumcheek Thu 16-Jul-09 15:34:14

Erm, no i haven't thought about Christmas besides putting a tenner on my ASDA Savers card now and again (about every two months!).

ILiketoMarmiteMarmite Thu 16-Jul-09 15:32:41

This means you spend half of every year thinking about Christmas! Tis insane.

ILiketoMarmiteMarmite Thu 16-Jul-09 15:31:35

I thought this thread was going to be a joke one! You lot are pure bonkers.

Pinkjenny Thu 16-Jul-09 15:28:07

We bought quite a lot of presents in the January sales (dh is a tightarse), but still have my parents and dd to buy for. In the same boat as Sarah, dc2 is due on 31st December, so we have decided to buy dd a dolls house, which I have already priced and written down all the relevant codes for.

No muss, no fuss. grin

Jaquelinehyde Thu 16-Jul-09 15:14:34

Off to pick up the first christmas present on Monday. Cards are bought already and some wrapping paper.

I'm getting bits and peices now, but it will all be bought and wrapped when my student loan money comes in September. Then it's just the food to buy and most of that shall be ordered through M&S.

morningpaper Thu 16-Jul-09 14:55:21

I haev already bought a stash of presents

I love christmas blush

Blackduck Thu 16-Jul-09 13:05:03

Flight booked, rooms reserved. Christmas done.... grin

bubblerock Wed 15-Jul-09 18:18:37

I've got lots of presents bought - much easier to spread the cost over the year!

<faints>

Blackduck Wed 15-Jul-09 18:07:54

Yeap - booking the flight and the rooms now...

bigchris Wed 15-Jul-09 17:58:18

the early i start the more i spend and the more plastic tat i buy

the later i leave it the likelihood is the dcs will get ONE very useful thing instead of a selection of tat

online shopping has improved so muchyou can use amazon etc in december for example

and the shops discount heavily in the week before xmas so guys WAIT lol

Well my two ds's birthdays are the 20th and 23rd of December, If I don't budget throughout the year we won't be able to afford seperate Birthday and Christmas presents

bradsmissus Tue 14-Jul-09 14:57:02

You wait - the people debating the good and evil of letting your DCs believe in father Christmas will be along any minute!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now