Madagascar 2 - Has anyone seen in? Why is it PG?

(10 Posts)
skiingmummy Thu 04-Dec-08 20:58:16

Hi all, just wondering if anyones seen Madagascar 2 and if so why is it rated PG? The first 1 was a U rating and DS aged 5 loves it so I was thinking of taking him to see Mad 2 at the flix as hes never been to the cinema before but.....worrying in case theres something unsuitable for a 5 year old!!

Would also like to take DD who's nearly 4.

Can anyone help with a film review??!!!

Thanks.

PanicPants Thu 04-Dec-08 20:59:17

I wanted to take ds, who is 3..but was put off by the pg too

skiingmummy Thu 04-Dec-08 21:02:36

Oh goody - at least I'm not alone in worrying about scary animations!! grin

tassisssss Thu 04-Dec-08 21:04:16

eeek, hadn't noticed this. My ds (5) is a complete wooose and I was planning to take dd (2) with us as we're going to a baby cinema thing (so going as my 6 month old's guests)...never done that before and was really looking forward to it...

arfishy Thu 04-Dec-08 21:05:37

There's some fight scenes. Nothing too traumatic though.

skiingmummy Thu 04-Dec-08 21:07:12

Oh dear! What to do!?!?!

If only I had the time to go and vet it first but was planning on going Saturday.

skiingmummy Thu 04-Dec-08 21:29:54

I've decided I'm gonna go on Saturday and take some chocolate buttons in case theres a scary bit and I need to distract DD or DS!!

I'll try and remember to post a review for anyone else having the PG debate with themselves!!! smile

BBFC site says:

'Madagascar - Escape 2 Africa' is a sequel about ex-New York zoo animals stranded in an African wildlife reserve. The film contains mild comic violence and threat.

The film contains mild comic violence, including several instances involving a New York granny who can do martial arts. In the first instance the lion and the granny deal repeated comic blows to each other, some clearly hitting the granny. One of the lion's teeth is seen to fall out and the granny spits out her false teeth, before landing a couple of martial arts kicks and tweaking the lion's nipple. Elsewhere she takes on a baddie lion, kicking him in the groin, stomping on his foot and hitting his behind, while in another scene penguins, who are stealing a jeep, deliberately reverse over her after she is flung from it.

In terms of mild threat, the film features a scene where a penguin is seen to briefly flick open and close a flick knife as a silent warning and a shark with big teeth snaps at a baby lemur fleeing for its life. The film also includes a scene where the New York granny is seen using an aerosol which boosts the flames on a camp fire.

In addition, the film includes a sign stating 'Farewell Pansies' (an apparently derogatory use of the word).

'PG' stands for Parental Guidance. A 'PG' film should not disturb a child aged around eight or older. However, parents are advised to consider whether the content may upset younger or more sensitive children.

BibiJesus Thu 04-Dec-08 21:38:29

I took dd (4.3) and her cousin (4.10) to see this at the weekend and they both loved it.
The reasons given by the BBFC are good, but I would say suitable for a 4yo unless very, very sensitive. Lots of the things that made it pg went over dd's head anyway. She did say the granny was naughty for fighting though. grin

skiingmummy Thu 04-Dec-08 21:52:14

Thanks for those messages.
Thats reassured me that it'll be fine!!

Didn't even know about the BBFC site - I just did a general google for film reviews. Doh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now