Christmas breakfast traditions?

(94 Posts)
chelseamorning Fri 21-Dec-07 15:40:11

Do you have a tradition for what you eat on Christmas morning?

My parents are staying with us for the festivities and I wanted to prepare something nice for them, i.e. muffins etc.

wangle99 Fri 21-Dec-07 15:41:08

I really fancied a continental breakfast with lots of pastries, mentioned it to DH who grunted and said I 'always want to change things' grrr

Muffins sounds nice!

karen999 Fri 21-Dec-07 15:42:30

Always have a full Scottish breakfast....have to have it early on as would not have room for dinner! Usually take it in turns to do this...this year it is my sister.....

Theghostofchristmaspyjamas Fri 21-Dec-07 15:43:01

scrambled eggs and bucks fizz

ComeOVenReadyturkey Fri 21-Dec-07 15:44:13

I am making baked eggs with smoked salmon and a creamy dill sacuce, with wholemeal toast (will bake in bread maker overnight) and buck's fizz.

ComeOVenReadyturkey Fri 21-Dec-07 15:44:45

sauce.

hanaflower Fri 21-Dec-07 15:46:33

Poached eggs and ham, and croissants.
Or smoked salmon and scrambled egg and bagels.

I love posh breakfasts.

chelseamorning Fri 21-Dec-07 15:47:17

Oohh, pastries sound like a good idea. A full breakfast is probably a bit much as I know my lot will just stuff themselves silly and then won't eat lunch!

I've found some nice recipes for

blueberry
raspberry
morning muesli (with maple syrup)

muffins. Easy to do, if only I can find a free half an hour in my Christmas schedule - ha!

wheelybahhumbug Fri 21-Dec-07 15:47:34

Smoked salmon, scrambled egg with bagels.

ComeOVenReadyturkey Fri 21-Dec-07 15:47:51

Tis very easy by the way. Line a ramekinn with smoked salmon. Crack in an egg, top with single cream and sprinkle chopped dill. Put on a baking tray in oven (need to check what temp) and cook until egg is set.

vitomum Fri 21-Dec-07 15:48:57

the last few years i have had bagels with smoked salmon and herby cream cheese

ComeOVenReadyturkey Fri 21-Dec-07 15:49:47

12 mins at 180c. Also meant to add do it in a deep baking tray and addd boiling water around ramekins about 1cm depth.

SleepInHeavenlyPlease Fri 21-Dec-07 15:51:36

Ooh, I might try that, ComeORT! Sounds delish

chelseamorning Fri 21-Dec-07 15:53:18

Sounds great and easy too!

Did I forget to mention that my mother and I are veggie, my DH eats fish and my father eats all!!

sockmonkey Fri 21-Dec-07 16:23:24

blush we always have cocoa pops as a christmas treat...the proper ones, not cheapy Lidl ones we normally get.

Cappuccino Fri 21-Dec-07 16:29:01

smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and bacon and champagne and coffee

We are going to PIL's for xmas brekkie for the first time this year and are planning on making it a tradition, I assume she'll do a continental breakfast.
No champers for me though I'm afraid.

bahumbugpuss Fri 21-Dec-07 16:42:12

Same as wheely and capp here. dh won't think of changing it.

DanJARMouse Fri 21-Dec-07 16:42:55

Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for those who like it

Croissants and bacon for those who dont!

nowbringussomeJammypudding Fri 21-Dec-07 16:45:38

When I lived at my parents it was always tongue or ham sandwiches for xmas day brekky. Stemmed from when we were kids and wanted to get to the presents quickly. Bowls of cereal would end up spilt if we took them with us to open presents, but sandwiches wouldn't make such a mess so could be eaten on the go, thus saving a few minutes time and keeping us happy while still ensuring we had some breakfast before opening the selection boxes.

Cappuccino Fri 21-Dec-07 16:47:27

bacon? good grief I meant bagels

dunno why I typed bacon

santaspregnantlittlehelper Fri 21-Dec-07 16:48:00

ham cheese and tomato croissants for those that like them, bacon or sausages grilled tomatoes and granary toast for those that don't.

champagne for everyone else but not me this year

serenity Fri 21-Dec-07 17:03:40

Pancakes usually - we always go to MILs or my Mum for Christmas Dinner so I'm quite happy to mess about in the kitchen on Christmas morning. We're a bit mean though as DCs don't open presents until after we've eaten smile

JackieNoel Fri 21-Dec-07 17:06:25

Well we always used to have Stollen (home made) when I was living with my mum. And I do now make one myself, but sadly the rest of the family don't seem as keen as I am (all the more for mrgrin), so we also have bagels, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, and buck's fizz and coffee.

MamaG Fri 21-Dec-07 17:10:30

DH and Iwill be having smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels
DC will be having bacon butties

I do have a nice recipe for christmas muffins, am considering making mix up on C.eve then bunging in the oven for mid morning...!

MamaG Fri 21-Dec-07 17:10:54

giz us some of your stollen, J-No

JackieNoel Fri 21-Dec-07 17:11:27

Not a chance, MamaG - it's mine, all minegrin.

FlossALumpOfPud Fri 21-Dec-07 17:17:39

DP is 1/4 polish, so we have polish garlic sausage in scrambled egg. That is his family tradition. However, ours was scrambled eggs and bucks fizz, so we have a bottle of that too. I really think the two family traditions work well together! grin

oxocube Fri 21-Dec-07 17:25:56

Oh God, tea, toast and Marmite or jam here blush. How can you all eat Christmas lunch after eggs and bacon and muffins and stollen ............ plus its just not worth it as my kids prefer to stuff an entire selection box down their necks as quickly as possible before 9am!!

Actually, am so envy of all these lovely traditions, just not worth it in my house!

MamaG Fri 21-Dec-07 17:28:03

we never end up eating christmas lunch before 2

AllChristmassedOut Fri 21-Dec-07 17:30:18

Panettone followed by warm bread rolls with oodles of butter.

ComeOVenReadyturkey Fri 21-Dec-07 17:45:56

Breakfast is around 8am as the children get up hideously early and we have lunch 2-2.30pm so need a decent size breakfast to keep us going and help soak up any booze wink.

HonoriaGlossop Fri 21-Dec-07 17:46:06

We will have croissants/pain chocolat for brekkie with bucks fizz....salmon fillets and potato salad for lunch, and proper christmas dinner at about 6pm.....

oh well it is a time of feasting grin

wheelybahhumbug Fri 21-Dec-07 17:54:10

We don't have christmas 'lunch' until about 5 so need a good breakfast !

wildwoman Fri 21-Dec-07 17:56:09

smoked salmon and scambled eggs and bucks fizz, can't wait!

nutcracker Fri 21-Dec-07 17:56:53

How do you all find time to do anything other than a normal breakfast ??

I will be trying to supervise the dc opening their pressies, work the camcorder and worry about the turkey.

GLAMpresentsforMAMAplease Fri 21-Dec-07 17:58:41

MamaG Your Christmas muffins sound good. Where did you get the recipe? Or is it a closely guarded family secret?

EmMcK Fri 21-Dec-07 18:00:56

Banana pancakes with bacon and maple syrup. And bubbles................

PeachyHasAFiggyPudInTheOven Fri 21-Dec-07 18:03:07

Dad normally insists on a huge breakfast but this year we've managed to get out of the fry up by using pregnancy as an excuse- can't eat big amounts and would hate to miss lunch. So a bacon sarnie I suspect.

if we were here it would be croissants, pain au chocolat etc.

Bucks Fizz always included for the non pg ones however.

wheelybahhumbug Fri 21-Dec-07 18:03:59

Nutcracker - stockings will be done in bed and then everyone will get dressed and we will have a nice breakfast and then we will go into the sitting room and open pressies under the tree. I would say we can get away with it as dd is not quite 3 but thats how we did it as children and we coped (actually it built up the excitement as Mum and Dad would have put the pressies out after we'd gone to bed and then the door would be shut and not opened until after breakfast).

As we don't eat the main meal until 5 ish there is plenty of time to worry about the turkey !

PeachyHasAFiggyPudInTheOven Fri 21-Dec-07 18:05:13

Nigellas christmas muffins are supposed to be good aren't they?
can't have dairy and they inevitably have milk in (but don't actually like muffins anyway)

Indith Fri 21-Dec-07 18:12:56

We started our own tradition last year (first christmas living together) with waffles (belgian style not birdseye potato) and intend to carry it on this year!

unknownrebelbang Fri 21-Dec-07 19:05:46

Croissants and buckz fizz.

SantaGotStuckUpTheGreensleeve Fri 21-Dec-07 19:10:05

bagels ming

Selection Box!grin

GreatGlowingMerrily Fri 21-Dec-07 19:14:21

We have pancakes grin

ja9ladiesdancing Fri 21-Dec-07 19:23:01

like many others here srambled eggs with smoked salmon and croissants, and bucks fizz. yum yum!

Waswondering Fri 21-Dec-07 19:23:14

I like Nigella's muffins too.

Don't really have a tradition but have had those before on Christmas morning and they are ace.

oxocube Fri 21-Dec-07 19:27:18

Santa, bagels are yum grin. Have just scoffed some for supper with cream cheese and tapenade But couldn't do them for breakfast on Christmas morning. We eat at 2ish but if I ate loads at breakfast, I would never get round to cooking the turkey. I am notorious for not cooking if I'm not hungry !!

oxocube Fri 21-Dec-07 19:29:07

Actually, if I scoffed at breakfast, I would end up ringing Domino's for lunch which I suspect wouldn't go down very well with the kids!

lyra41 Fri 21-Dec-07 19:31:01

warm croissants with ham and cheese freshly squeezed oj, coffee and hot choc, pain au choc if anyone wants.

chocolateshoes Fri 21-Dec-07 19:31:30

We are going to have croissants while DS opens his stocking presents....in bed all together. Then we'll go downstairs and have grilled Manx kippers! I am Manx and I love them!

FlossALumpOfPud Fri 21-Dec-07 19:32:13

DS will wait for pressies. I think hmm And DP cooks breakfast, I cook lunch. Perhaps not the most equal of deals but better than nothing!

tassisssss Fri 21-Dec-07 19:37:04

I don't really like scrambled eggs, and for some reason (like not doing sorbet for starter) I can't get my head round smoked salmon for breakfast, and as dh has to take a Christmas morning service a few hours later and I'm pregnant, there's no bucks fizz here either!

We generally have pancakes, bacon and maple syrup.

Have Nigella's muffins on Christmas Eve (or maybe tomorrow or maybe both!)

I think ds would LOVE sock's idea of having cocopops though!

LoveAngelGabriel Fri 21-Dec-07 22:42:41

No tradition, really. We always had a full fry up when I was a kid, but we ate lunch a bit later in those days. For a few years we had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Then we had just scrambled eggs & toast and a big fruit salad for the last couple of years. think we'll have that tis year, too. Oh, and champagne. Always champagne!

eidsvold Fri 21-Dec-07 22:52:52

smoked salmon, crusty bread for toast, fluffy scrambled eggs, bucks fizz. Dh cooks.

JoyeuxNoelBiggy Fri 21-Dec-07 22:57:59

When I was little it was a cup of coffee (cup of warm milk and a dash of coffee powder) and a couple of biscuits from the Rover tin. I thought that was special. When I thought I was being a fab crazy mummy the other week offering DD1 cake for breakfast on her birthday she got cross with me because she wanted Weetabix ("of course").

chatee Fri 21-Dec-07 23:13:08

the only tradition we have is that either dh or i make the breakfast and bring it upstairs to the childrens bedroom(santa leaves their stocking in the bedroom-main pressies are downstairs in the lounge)so they at least eat some breakfast amongst all the excitement and then we all get dressed and go downstairs together to open other pressies(learnt the hard way- with pics of me in my nightie and dd opening pressies- not nice)
i hope mil appreciates our tradition this yeargrin

SueW Fri 21-Dec-07 23:26:27

Stewed tomatoes on toast. (DH brought it with him from NZ)

Champagne/Buck's Fizz/OJ as appropriate/requested.

RosaLuxMundi Sat 22-Dec-07 00:33:18

Nigella Christmas muffins is my tradition (albeit only six or seven years of it so far) and croissants and champagne. We wait till my Mum comes back from Christmas mass and then make a two-hour ceremony of brunch and present opening. Then I do Christmas 'lunch' for about 4pm and voila - only two meals to do.

PurpleTinselPrincess Sat 22-Dec-07 01:00:01

We have nutella on thick toast with lashings of melted butter - yummy! I've done it for years - my mum still puts a jar of nutella in my stocking bless her! We've carried on the tradition years later...

EffiePerine Sat 22-Dec-07 03:36:04

Champagne. I really like the sound of COV's smoked salmon doodahs so will try those this year (usually eggs and bacon)

Merrydian Sat 22-Dec-07 09:09:18

I make pancakes with maple cured bacon ( or that lovely trecle bacon from waitrose) dh makes the coffee, that is if I can drag him away from gorging himself on chocolates for a few minutes. grin

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Dec-07 09:11:34

croissants and pastries, fruit - the nicest fruit we can find, usually stupid things like sharan fruit chosen by ds that we don't know how to prepare

a selection box

grin

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Dec-07 09:14:37

I love sockmonkey for confessing they have REAL cocopops

Croissants and Bucks Fizz here too grin

BJB21 Sat 22-Dec-07 09:22:28

cooked brekky (veggie for me) and bucks fizz.And usually a selection box or half a jar of Quality Street or the like!

Have it early so still hungry for lunch, especially after all the alcohol ive drank by then, builds up an appetite!

dizzyblonde Sat 22-Dec-07 09:36:51

We always have kegeree and bucks fizz. I make the kedgeree on Christmas Eve and heat up in the microwave in the morning. Only one bowl each to wash up

We have museli and croissants for breakfast

ChippolataMinton Sat 22-Dec-07 10:28:32

terrys chocolate orange juice
smarties
jelly tots
cinnamon bagels & nutella

WewishyouaBUMPERLICIOUS Sat 22-Dec-07 10:48:45

Just looked up the recipe for nigella's muffins. are they really that good? convince me before i go out and brave the shops to get the ingredients!

Waswondering Sat 22-Dec-07 16:24:39

I like them and I know someone who makes them without the dried cranberries to good effect. They smell lovely!! HTH

Feeling a bit panicky that I've not done my food shop yet - tell me it'll be ok . . .

pinetreedog Sat 22-Dec-07 16:29:30

fruit salad

plus all edible stocking fillers

sleepdeprivationandme Sat 22-Dec-07 16:33:58

A selection box!

merrylissiemas Sat 22-Dec-07 16:48:52

we will be creating our traditions this year and shall be having kedgeree for breakfast. i used to live with my friend and herfamily from 14 and her mum used to make it for xmas breakfast!

Astrophe Sat 22-Dec-07 16:57:56

growing up w always had croisants (don't know why), and now we make a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas eve, and eat it for breakfast. Kids love it - cake for breakfast makes them think its Christmas

SleighlyMadSanta Sat 22-Dec-07 17:02:31

We do bacon baps
SIL does coissants

nowbringussomeJammypudding Sat 22-Dec-07 17:30:14

Meant to say that we will be having chocolate brioche this year

MamaG Mon 24-Dec-07 17:08:00

GLAM do you want the recipe?

southeastastra Mon 24-Dec-07 17:11:54

ricicles

merrylissiemas Mon 24-Dec-07 17:13:24

dh has just made kedgeree for the firsttime and its blardy lovely!

MamaG Mon 24-Dec-07 17:14:45

I love kedgeree. Never hav it for breakfast though (and yes, I kn ow it is brekkie food)

merrylissiemas Mon 24-Dec-07 17:15:54

i used to live with my friend and her familyand her mum used to make it for xmas breakfast!

YuleLoveHekateAtSolstice Mon 24-Dec-07 17:20:10

HA! You big bunch of LIARS!! grin

Salmon, bagels, champagne, pancakes, caviar, quail eggs....

You don't fool me

You dive head first into the Roses and when there's nothing left but the strawberry creams, you chomp on the mixed nuts until lunch!

salmon and champagne indeed.

This is 'My Child Does Not Have Fruit Shoots' territory........ wink

MarsyChristmas Mon 24-Dec-07 17:27:24

The kids eat all the chocolate in their stockings. We have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with champers! grin

WeFrizYouaMerryChristmas Mon 24-Dec-07 17:28:46

salmon and eggs here smile

maximummummy Mon 24-Dec-07 17:38:26

chocolate coins and sugar mice

bonkerzaboutxmas Mon 24-Dec-07 17:38:47

DCs have asked for bacon and cheese bagels for breakfast!!! Will have to do it i suppose. Must say that we let the DCs have their stockings befoe breakfast but then nothing else till they have eaten all their breakfast!!

WideWebWitch Mon 24-Dec-07 17:41:31

I'm surprised at all these, we don't do anything special for breakfast, what ever people want so a boiled egg or bacon sandwich probably. Eww at Champagne first thing too, no way could I do it, I'd be asleep by midday even on 1 glass.

InterruptingKid Mon 09-Nov-09 09:07:03

here is one

Mybox Mon 09-Nov-09 09:09:02

Coffee cup in hand for dh & myself for the present opening. No breakfast for the kids as they're just eaten lots of chocolate from their stocking - plus no time as busy with their new things!

JuanMoreTime Thu 16-Sep-10 11:47:24

JuanMoreTime Thu 16-Sep-10 11:47:28

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now