I had to leave my childs xmas production today because...

(78 Posts)
deenymcqueenygoreandguts Mon 10-Dec-07 19:09:55

I was so overcome with emotion, i was in danger of making a complete twonk of myself.
Honestly, i couldnt hold back when they started to sing about angels.

I was like this last year.
do not know why but wanted to sob.

any one else like this because not a single other parent was like this in there, not one.

Krimble Wed 12-Dec-07 15:22:05

I had a moment like that at a school play about mining, I was fine until the two elderly ex miners came in carrying a banner while the kids sang, I was ready to lose it totaly, FGS I have no miners in my family no emotional connection but it just got me.

jammydodger Wed 12-Dec-07 21:43:45

Yes Deeny, maybe you were thinking of "Tie me kangaroo down, sport", or something. Jake the peg?.

Squonk - thank god it's not just me then grin..did you happen to see Rolf himself singing it a few years ago on Children in Need, and it was the last time he was ever going to sing it live, or something, and he was in tears himself at that "dying" bit.....oh god, I cried buckets blush blush.

(feel a complete prat now, am going to leave quickly)

HarkTheHassledAngelsSing Wed 12-Dec-07 21:48:03

I cry at every school Christmas production my children are in. I'm not usually prone to unnecessary blubbing but there must be something about all that tinsel that gets the tear glands going!

currantbunmum Thu 13-Dec-07 03:50:21

We went to DD1 first nativity yesterday, I made sure I wore my very narrow specs to cover the give away blood shot/ tear laden eyes, bit my tongue very hard, and did not look at DH, as one of his proud daddy grins would have had the snot flowing like Lambrini at a hen partygrin

hazygirl Thu 13-Dec-07 05:40:53

god two little boys i loved that song my dad had single on his radio gram and i was one of 5 kids and didnt have a lot of toys and all five of us used to run round big front room pretending to have horse and doing the actions,god life used to b hard but great eh to b young againx

seeker Thu 13-Dec-07 06:01:04

When dd left her infant school,they had a special ceremony in the play ground. They each had a helium balloon tied to the back of their chair, and they all cut them free at the same moment as the head talked about moving on and spreading their wings. There is a very embasassing video of me in absolute floods of tears that my friend drags out whenver she gets the chance!

And I was helping with the refreshments at the Reception nativity play yesterday and I was crying and I didn't even have a child in the play!

ninedragons Thu 13-Dec-07 07:15:32

Pinching the web between your thumb and index finger stops you crying if you're just about to tip over from that welling-up stage into full-blown boo-hoo-hoo.

I know this because in my first trimester I never wanted my husband to catch me sobbing because the Home and Away theme blushblushblush made me homesick.

deenymcqueenygoreandguts Thu 13-Dec-07 09:33:04

LMAO at you lot on here, you are all fab.
Tie me kangeroo down sport...THATS THE ONE..do you see why i thought you are a freak jammy!!!!grin

And recommending different methods of self harm in order to stop dramatics..fab fab fab.

Yulemoonfiend Thu 13-Dec-07 09:38:27

I cried at panto the other week. It was the rousing music at the start followed by huge glitterball and tiny fairies coming out...

I am insane though.

I cry at everything.

CremolaFirCone Thu 13-Dec-07 09:53:33

this happens to me every year at the carol service.Involuntary weeping as soon as they start singing the harmony to Oh Come all ye faithful. Can manage a whole year without crying and then come the carol service I am undone.Have my handbag packed with kleenex in readiment for tomorrow night.grin
i'm hopeless

zanyj Fri 14-Dec-07 14:08:37

I cried at dd's nativity this week. DH cannot understand it and is completely intolerant. I will be pinching that web between thumb and forefinger quite a lot in the future...

Tortington Fri 14-Dec-07 14:10:32

i always wanted to stand up and shout "bravo"

my 14 year old is in a play later next year and that is exactly what i am going to do.

BrieVinDeAlkaSeltzer Fri 14-Dec-07 14:12:25

Custy you mad woman. !!!!

I would love to be there.grin

OrmIrian Fri 14-Dec-07 14:17:10

I went to 2 yesterday. KS2 carol concert in which neither of my older DCs took any active part and I was able to survive tear-free although it was really good. Only difficulty was sitting next to an overly-doting grandmother that I could happily pushed over the balcony by the end hmm DS#2 was Joseph in the reception play and it was so cute - he looked sweet and spent most of the time waving at my parents and me, missed his cue and forgot his lines, sat in his seat behind the crib waving his legs in the air and then jumping up and down when they were singing. Didn't stop grinning the whole time. Stage fright - what's that? Might have cried if it hadn't been so funnygrin

VanillaPumpkin Fri 14-Dec-07 14:34:01

Just reading this thread has had me in tears. Any children singing Away in the Manger will make me cry. I somehow held it together for dd1's this year. Mainly because she was smiling so much and singing SO loudly it was making me laugh grin
Seeing families together makes me cry. Something about them all loving each other as much as our family love each other and ......anyway I will stop my tangent there. It is like that Mastercard ad in the airport and that bit in Love Actually......blush.
I think I might be a little hormonal at the moment.....

justaboutintimeforchristmas Fri 14-Dec-07 18:01:32

Haven't read the whole thread but I almost cried today at IKEA'S TODDLER PLATES being so sweet. In my defence I have a bug.

wheresthehamster Fri 14-Dec-07 18:23:55

Generally I only get upset at leavers concerts but I was blubbing at the Juniors' Christmas concert this week. Dd3 was standing behind a little girl, who just two years ago arrived at the Infants in yr2 unable to speak english, very introverted and would only speak to her younger sister.

On Tuesday she was singing her heart out to every song with such a lovely big smile on her face that I nearly didn't recognise her. I had to keep looking away as I was welling up too much.

TroutSprout Fri 14-Dec-07 18:36:07

I blubbed too
I blubbed when the whole reception year did a signed version of 'it was on a starry night'
i blubbed when three little boys played kazoos to 'It's a baby'
and i blubbed bigtime when dd sang a solo lullaby to the baby jesus

It was lovely

I will be blubbing next friday too..they walk the whole school to church and sing all the songs again

NorthernLurkerwithastarontop Fri 14-Dec-07 18:41:00

I have to keep a tight rein on myself or I'm a tearful wreck - but I will share my golden tip! When you think you're going to cry - just run through the football off-side rule in your head wink Struggling to remember the thing in the first place has a very tear-drying effect grin

harman Fri 14-Dec-07 18:42:11

Message withdrawn

zookeeper Fri 14-Dec-07 18:44:35

I cried in the car on the school run when ds (6) burst into a word perfect "away in a manger"

God help me in the nativity play itself

duvet Fri 14-Dec-07 20:25:38

Oh this thread has made me feel much better as I did exactly this yesterday at dd1's first performance and I thought I was the only one and I was saying to myself - get a grip, i did manage to and focussed extremely hard on smiling at dd1. I couldnt believe how i felt - it was like so wierd seeing her so detached before iykwim anyways glad its over and hope it doesnt happen again! thanks for the company!

tomandrom Sat 15-Dec-07 11:15:42

OMG, you are putting the fear of God into me that I will be an emotional wreck... I went in to help out at DS's preschool and got to see them practicing the songs for Xmas, and I was welling up then just looking at his little three-year-old face! When he's dressed as a shepherd on Monday I will be in pieces, I'm sure.

AND I have agreed to be Mary in the local church's Xmas pageant-type thing, even though Christmas carols make me cry. Will have to pinch myself or something. 'Little Donkey' is one of the worst ones, IMO.

rutternutter Sat 15-Dec-07 11:19:10

My grandpa used to cry a lot at things, especially hymns, massed bands and his favourite classical music. I always thought it was just him, and could never understand why he was crying. I think the b*&&%^ has passed it on to me - I do get emotional about things but it tends to be related to specific pieces of music and memories of people, and yes the nativity play had me. And last weekend we went to a Christmas tree festival locally and there were 60 trees all decorated by local schools, charities and businsses, all lit up and there I was in the corner, wiping away the tears - my DH just says 'oh look, mummy's off again!'

MummyDarlingSausage Sat 15-Dec-07 15:52:21

I haven't been to anything yet as my dd starts school after xmas but I am very emotional and know I would cry loads when the time comes. I remember my mum always cried when we did stuff at school but would never miss them. Your thread made me remember when I was 6 and in a nativity. I had no idea (or couldn't really remember)until I was older but my mum was in labour that day and didn't want to miss me as an angel so she sat through it with contractions and then went straight to hospital and had my brother!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now