I had to leave my childs xmas production today because...

(78 Posts)
deenymcqueenygoreandguts Mon 10-Dec-07 19:09:55

I was so overcome with emotion, i was in danger of making a complete twonk of myself.
Honestly, i couldnt hold back when they started to sing about angels.

I was like this last year.
do not know why but wanted to sob.

any one else like this because not a single other parent was like this in there, not one.

kerryk Mon 10-Dec-07 19:12:42

dd1's first nativity is next monday and i will be the exact same as you, my dad and dh are also going and they have already warned me to behave but i know it will be no good.

the worst part for me is when the children sing away in a manger (i mean any children not just mine, as soon as i hear that song i start to cry) my lovely great gran used to sing it to me and my brother at christmas and it brings back so many happy memories.

Browny Mon 10-Dec-07 19:13:15

Hi, yep.. I get over-emotional everytime, I just can't help it blush, when my dd1 left her primary school this summer they had a leaving ceremony and I had to sip cold water all the way through to hold myself together, but when they showed all their baby photos on a huge screen that did it... I couldn't stop the tears rolling down my cheeks sad.I didn't notice anyone else being upset either hmm.

deenymcqueenygoreandguts Mon 10-Dec-07 19:14:40

am filling up now.....

huge baby photos... oh dear, im such a wimp

Quadrophenia Mon 10-Dec-07 19:14:41

ohhh I know a tip, bite your tongue really hard, it works it really does. I don't cry at plays and stuff, but i do get a bit strangely emotional if I need to talk to a teacher about something, tis a right pita blush

BrieVinDeAlkaSeltzer Mon 10-Dec-07 19:14:46

'Tis motherhood it makes a wreck of you.

My DH now just passes me his handkerchief as soon as the play starts.blush

ComeOVenReadyturkey Mon 10-Dec-07 19:15:32

I felt prettty choken up last week at ds's nursery nativity, but quickly turned to tears of laughter at the childrens antics. We all were the same though tbh. It was the funniest thing (not intended to be obviously) I have seen in ages grin

NotEvenHopingForAWhiteXmas Mon 10-Dec-07 19:16:13

I even cry over other people's children, especially singing Away in a Manger. I also found myself in tears singing "The Ugly Bug Ball" to my baby yesterday. blush shock sad

I am very sad.

Angeliz Mon 10-Dec-07 19:16:35

Yep, i had tears in my eyes at dd's nativity last week. Also a room full of children singing, i often well up at assembly when i go.

deenymcqueenygoreandguts Mon 10-Dec-07 19:17:33

nononono not sad, i used to and still do cry if i hear "you are my sunshine".

nutcracker Mon 10-Dec-07 19:18:15

Dd2's class once did a special mothers day assembly, and I can't remember which song it was that they sung, but it had several of the mums in tears and then one by one the kids started crying too.

Browny Mon 10-Dec-07 19:18:15

deeny, I was an emotional wreck when all the children sang, "I've had the time of my life" from Dirty Dancing - mind you I was sobbing when I watched Cirque de celebrity on Saturday night, when the blonde girl was swinging through the air to the theme tune of the Titanic!

deenymcqueenygoreandguts Mon 10-Dec-07 19:19:46

i wasnt crying over my son, he has just started school so had to just sit.
It was the little kids voices and the look on the parents faces, the mesmerised pride, the childs little face when they saw their mum or dad.

wardrobemistressakasugarfree Mon 10-Dec-07 19:19:53

I'm a real sobber, I even make noises,fgs!
Will be biting my tongue very hard tomorrow morning at 10 am and again on Friday afternoon.
Ridiculous.

deenymcqueenygoreandguts Mon 10-Dec-07 19:20:46

Even the fucking blue tinsel around the hand prints turned into angels made me well up.

Jeez.....

constancereader Mon 10-Dec-07 19:25:41

Well - I was a primary school teacher responsible for the infant play. Every year it was a nightmare of organisation, rehearsal, making, trying to teach while it was all going on, waking up at 3am with the bloody songs going around my head, keeping my patience with 60 under sixes.......

and EVERY YEAR during the performance I would cry during Away in a Manger blush.

What will I be like when ds is part of it all I dread to think!

belcantavinissima Mon 10-Dec-07 19:27:15

lord i do this every year too, even to ds1s play last week and hes 9 fgs and not all that 'cute' at all now! again, like you all, i always seem to be the only one sobbing uncontrollably

mumofmonSTARsOfBethlehem Mon 10-Dec-07 19:29:01

I am PG so will be howling thru DS1s xmas 'show'. especially as he is a narrator and gets to speak quite a few times this year (he is in reception and they do a joint thing with nursery, last year he sung 1 song!)

CarmenerryChristmas Mon 10-Dec-07 19:30:25

Me, I cried today at dd's nativity playblush Totally overcome with pride and love for her. And a little pre-mental.

FrayedKnot Mon 10-Dec-07 19:32:55

Can I ask a question, do you all cry a lot generally, or not much?

Because I am like this too, and also at weddings, I dread funerals, I can;t sing certains songs to DS without welling up - but I hardly ever cry otherwise.

Not that it sounds like it grin

PirateInaPeartree Mon 10-Dec-07 19:33:37

my dd5 had hers today, I was totally enraptured, sitting htere willing them on, and cooing inwardly over 'other people's children'.

I am pretty crap with other peoples children pmsl wink, yet today they were all just, well, babies to my mind.

My dd was a scream she was actually winking cockily at me from the stage.

There was one song called Lullaby Jesus, and dd had said 'mummy' everytime I sing that song it reminds me of you, and it makes me cry'

arghhh, guess who was gulping back the tears!! I wish her dad would have showed up.!

belcantavinissima Mon 10-Dec-07 19:34:17

frayedknot, i'm the same as you. i think i use up my annual supply at all the teary events lol

wardrobemistressakasugarfree Mon 10-Dec-07 19:47:34

FrayedKnot,even my mother calls me a hard-hearted bugger!
It's something about my children singing at Christmas-other peoples' don't have the same effect,in fact that kids theatre company? Chicken Shed? leaves me cold.

mumofmonSTARsOfBethlehem Mon 10-Dec-07 19:49:36

no i am not a cry-er generally.

Angeliz Mon 10-Dec-07 19:49:58

Have to say, Westlife's new song makes me cry too. 'I'm already there'
I don't cry alot , hardly ever beleive it or not but dp works away alot and was away an awful lot last year and that song reminds me and makes me all mushy.

spudmasher Mon 10-Dec-07 19:51:22

Love this thread! As a teacher I consider the show a failure if there are no tears. As a parent I am the one making choking noises with a tissue stuffed in my gob and a Rudolph style nose.

These are precious moments. Of course a tear will be shed!!!

piximon Mon 10-Dec-07 19:51:55

lol I'm like this too. I really like watching these sorts of things, but I know I'll be welling up on Thursday when DS1 and his nursery class start singing. Since having the DCs I've become a real cry baby in general though, almost anything can set me off. Pre-DCs I was tearless.

I am terrible at funerals as I giggle when I get nervous (my mum and aunt are the same) and so I have to hide my face so people don't think I'm heartless.

Louandben Mon 10-Dec-07 19:52:46

Just reading some of these messages is making me well up, what chance do I have when DS is old enough to be in a nativity play blush?! I would like to use the fact that I am pregnant at the moment as an excuse but I am like it all the time!

myrrhthamoo Mon 10-Dec-07 19:54:21

This thread has brought tears to my eyes. Does that answer your question grin?

Have to say that I'm going alone (ie without my mum) to DS nativity on Thursday - she is going on Wednesday.

I fear I may need a tissue or two (or five!)

Nothing to be ashamed about at all - in fact, listening to a song on youtube (O Come) made me well up - now THAT is sad! grin

madamez Mon 10-Dec-07 20:10:26

I expect I will howl at plays and concerts etc when DS is old enough to be at a school that does them. But this may be because I have near-perfect hearing pitch and a lot of out of tune honking invariably brings tears to my eyes (CHina IN Your Hand by T'Pau can make me projectile vomit on a good day).

SweetSnowflake Mon 10-Dec-07 20:12:08

im a wreck at dd's showssmile..i actually SOB!blush

suwoo Mon 10-Dec-07 20:26:17

<<phew>> so glad its not just me then, although it seems like I am the only one out of the mums from DD's class. I too have cried in a 'well done assembly'. When DD was in quite a large professional ballet show, I had to watch it back on the DVD that you could buy as I couldn't see any of it through my tears. If you looked down the row though, you could see my mum, my nan and my sister all as bad! Must run in families grin

deenymcqueenygoreandguts Wed 12-Dec-07 14:28:43

yes cry allot, all the time.

Atheletes song "wires" oh my God, the first couple of bars just make me howl.
dh says im a puff, bladder too near to my eyes i think.

SueW Wed 12-Dec-07 14:31:19

I was in tears in M&S last week because they had a children's choir in singing carols. Not even my child and I didn't go and watch - I could hear it from across the store!

I cried at DD's production but apparently not as much as one mum who all the children came out talking about.

cadeLaideInAManger Wed 12-Dec-07 14:31:55

I take sunglasses.
Look like a twat, but slightly less of a twat than if I was overtly sobbing.
Well, i like to think so, anyway.

deenymcqueenygoreandguts Wed 12-Dec-07 14:34:28

LMAO!!! sunglasses, that is brill!!!!!

FioFio Wed 12-Dec-07 14:36:39

Message deleted

jammydodger Wed 12-Dec-07 14:39:11

I cannot hear that Rolf harris song "two little boys" without welling up - I know that's totally sad, but can't help it (especially as I have 2 little boys myself now!). God it's pathetic! Even tried to sing it at a karaoke once and couldn't finish it - possibly one of the most embarrassing moments of my life blush

rudolphdoesntneedbratnav Wed 12-Dec-07 14:40:48

I cried yesterday at DD1s nativity play, Away In a Manger, if you don't cry when a group of 5/6 yo sings that there is something wrong with you IMHO

dividedselfridgesxmaswindow Wed 12-Dec-07 14:42:02

I can get a bit teary - for me I think it's because it is a rare quiet moment of reflection, but one that is also filled with joy and the wonderful naivety of childhood. This makes it a double emotional whammy. I don't do public crying though, so I cough and blink, cough and blink and speak strictly to myself in my head grin

Snaf Wed 12-Dec-07 14:42:58

It's ds's nativity (well, Santa's Workshop hmm) next week and I know I am going to be a wreck. Doesn't help that I look as if I've been hit by a truck when I cry - not a good look.

I am exactly like you, FrayedKnot - cry buckets at funerals (even if it's someone I didn't know well), songs on the radio etc but almost never cry for 'myself' iyswim.

deenymcqueenygoreandguts Wed 12-Dec-07 14:43:31

jammydodger
i dont even know you
but i disown you for that....Rolph Harris OMG

I am embarrased to even be on the same talk board as you.

THE most embarrasing moment of some ones life i would say....

OMG

Mincepiedermama Wed 12-Dec-07 14:45:33

Oh God I feel well warned by this. Poor you. sad

I will try to manufacture a good old cry about something in my bedroom the night before the two shows.

I think sometimes we don't realise that we need a good old sob and then something triggers it and the floodgates open.

I don't want to be a helpless dribbling wreck in the school gym hall in front of all the brilliant, coping, alpha mums.

SquonkaClaus Wed 12-Dec-07 14:46:36

jammydodger - I bought a cd of kids songs a couple of months ago and we were happily singing along to Old MacDonald and The Grand Old Duke of York and then on came 2 little boys...

I was howling all the way home! The kids were in the back of the car saying "why are you crying mummy?" and I was sobbing to them "it's when it goes 'did you think I would leave you (SOB SOB) dying' and it's so sad and it's so (SOB SOB)..." and the kids are both like this hmm at me.

Just about recovered and got myself under control and on came PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON! which set me off again.

I put the cd in the glove compartment - never to be played again!

deenymcqueenygoreandguts Wed 12-Dec-07 14:49:27

oh i see, its a sad song is it? the Rolph Harris song???
thought it was a funny one, must be thinking of some thing else.

Puff the magic dragon does it for me too.
So, its a mum thing isnt it.

SantaBeClausImWorthIt Wed 12-Dec-07 14:52:25

I am so glad that my boys are now at secondary school and that they don't get involved in anything like this. It was my annual torture.

It isn't even my own kids that set me off.

Mind youj, I went to a carol concert and performance of the Messiah on Saturday and that was just as bad! Couldn't even sing some of the carols properly!

I cry very easily at things like this. The hard/surprising thing for me was how little I cried my my mum died. I thought I would be a complete wreck, but somehow it just didn't happen.

5GoldenFIMBOs Wed 12-Dec-07 14:53:29

<<Whispers>>

I cried when my dd went off on the bus (I stupidly waited behind to wave them off) on a day trip blush

TheChristmaskedPoster Wed 12-Dec-07 14:57:48

oh yes

dd's first ever 'play' was this morning - a little nursery production of the Teddy Bear getting lost and coming down a chimney. The children were brilliant and dd actually said her line 'we can clean him' (although I was zooming in at the time and completely lost the words! blush) - I would have been a blubbering mess, but had to do some videos etc of the said play, so that took all my brain power (plus being preggers doesn't help with the ol' water works!).

I am useless at anything like this will often be found sniffling, from sheer joy and emotion, into my tissue...

Oh and I did comment to a friend, that this is the reason why we endure hours of pain during labour - to witness such beautiful scenes. <<utter emotional drivvel - I agree grin))

SquonkaClaus Wed 12-Dec-07 15:19:23

deenymcqueeny - 2 little boys

Krimble Wed 12-Dec-07 15:22:05

I had a moment like that at a school play about mining, I was fine until the two elderly ex miners came in carrying a banner while the kids sang, I was ready to lose it totaly, FGS I have no miners in my family no emotional connection but it just got me.

jammydodger Wed 12-Dec-07 21:43:45

Yes Deeny, maybe you were thinking of "Tie me kangaroo down, sport", or something. Jake the peg?.

Squonk - thank god it's not just me then grin..did you happen to see Rolf himself singing it a few years ago on Children in Need, and it was the last time he was ever going to sing it live, or something, and he was in tears himself at that "dying" bit.....oh god, I cried buckets blush blush.

(feel a complete prat now, am going to leave quickly)

HarkTheHassledAngelsSing Wed 12-Dec-07 21:48:03

I cry at every school Christmas production my children are in. I'm not usually prone to unnecessary blubbing but there must be something about all that tinsel that gets the tear glands going!

currantbunmum Thu 13-Dec-07 03:50:21

We went to DD1 first nativity yesterday, I made sure I wore my very narrow specs to cover the give away blood shot/ tear laden eyes, bit my tongue very hard, and did not look at DH, as one of his proud daddy grins would have had the snot flowing like Lambrini at a hen partygrin

hazygirl Thu 13-Dec-07 05:40:53

god two little boys i loved that song my dad had single on his radio gram and i was one of 5 kids and didnt have a lot of toys and all five of us used to run round big front room pretending to have horse and doing the actions,god life used to b hard but great eh to b young againx

seeker Thu 13-Dec-07 06:01:04

When dd left her infant school,they had a special ceremony in the play ground. They each had a helium balloon tied to the back of their chair, and they all cut them free at the same moment as the head talked about moving on and spreading their wings. There is a very embasassing video of me in absolute floods of tears that my friend drags out whenver she gets the chance!

And I was helping with the refreshments at the Reception nativity play yesterday and I was crying and I didn't even have a child in the play!

ninedragons Thu 13-Dec-07 07:15:32

Pinching the web between your thumb and index finger stops you crying if you're just about to tip over from that welling-up stage into full-blown boo-hoo-hoo.

I know this because in my first trimester I never wanted my husband to catch me sobbing because the Home and Away theme blushblushblush made me homesick.

deenymcqueenygoreandguts Thu 13-Dec-07 09:33:04

LMAO at you lot on here, you are all fab.
Tie me kangeroo down sport...THATS THE ONE..do you see why i thought you are a freak jammy!!!!grin

And recommending different methods of self harm in order to stop dramatics..fab fab fab.

Yulemoonfiend Thu 13-Dec-07 09:38:27

I cried at panto the other week. It was the rousing music at the start followed by huge glitterball and tiny fairies coming out...

I am insane though.

I cry at everything.

CremolaFirCone Thu 13-Dec-07 09:53:33

this happens to me every year at the carol service.Involuntary weeping as soon as they start singing the harmony to Oh Come all ye faithful. Can manage a whole year without crying and then come the carol service I am undone.Have my handbag packed with kleenex in readiment for tomorrow night.grin
i'm hopeless

zanyj Fri 14-Dec-07 14:08:37

I cried at dd's nativity this week. DH cannot understand it and is completely intolerant. I will be pinching that web between thumb and forefinger quite a lot in the future...

Tortington Fri 14-Dec-07 14:10:32

i always wanted to stand up and shout "bravo"

my 14 year old is in a play later next year and that is exactly what i am going to do.

BrieVinDeAlkaSeltzer Fri 14-Dec-07 14:12:25

Custy you mad woman. !!!!

I would love to be there.grin

OrmIrian Fri 14-Dec-07 14:17:10

I went to 2 yesterday. KS2 carol concert in which neither of my older DCs took any active part and I was able to survive tear-free although it was really good. Only difficulty was sitting next to an overly-doting grandmother that I could happily pushed over the balcony by the end hmm DS#2 was Joseph in the reception play and it was so cute - he looked sweet and spent most of the time waving at my parents and me, missed his cue and forgot his lines, sat in his seat behind the crib waving his legs in the air and then jumping up and down when they were singing. Didn't stop grinning the whole time. Stage fright - what's that? Might have cried if it hadn't been so funnygrin

VanillaPumpkin Fri 14-Dec-07 14:34:01

Just reading this thread has had me in tears. Any children singing Away in the Manger will make me cry. I somehow held it together for dd1's this year. Mainly because she was smiling so much and singing SO loudly it was making me laugh grin
Seeing families together makes me cry. Something about them all loving each other as much as our family love each other and ......anyway I will stop my tangent there. It is like that Mastercard ad in the airport and that bit in Love Actually......blush.
I think I might be a little hormonal at the moment.....

justaboutintimeforchristmas Fri 14-Dec-07 18:01:32

Haven't read the whole thread but I almost cried today at IKEA'S TODDLER PLATES being so sweet. In my defence I have a bug.

wheresthehamster Fri 14-Dec-07 18:23:55

Generally I only get upset at leavers concerts but I was blubbing at the Juniors' Christmas concert this week. Dd3 was standing behind a little girl, who just two years ago arrived at the Infants in yr2 unable to speak english, very introverted and would only speak to her younger sister.

On Tuesday she was singing her heart out to every song with such a lovely big smile on her face that I nearly didn't recognise her. I had to keep looking away as I was welling up too much.

TroutSprout Fri 14-Dec-07 18:36:07

I blubbed too
I blubbed when the whole reception year did a signed version of 'it was on a starry night'
i blubbed when three little boys played kazoos to 'It's a baby'
and i blubbed bigtime when dd sang a solo lullaby to the baby jesus

It was lovely

I will be blubbing next friday too..they walk the whole school to church and sing all the songs again

NorthernLurkerwithastarontop Fri 14-Dec-07 18:41:00

I have to keep a tight rein on myself or I'm a tearful wreck - but I will share my golden tip! When you think you're going to cry - just run through the football off-side rule in your head wink Struggling to remember the thing in the first place has a very tear-drying effect grin

harman Fri 14-Dec-07 18:42:11

Message withdrawn

zookeeper Fri 14-Dec-07 18:44:35

I cried in the car on the school run when ds (6) burst into a word perfect "away in a manger"

God help me in the nativity play itself

duvet Fri 14-Dec-07 20:25:38

Oh this thread has made me feel much better as I did exactly this yesterday at dd1's first performance and I thought I was the only one and I was saying to myself - get a grip, i did manage to and focussed extremely hard on smiling at dd1. I couldnt believe how i felt - it was like so wierd seeing her so detached before iykwim anyways glad its over and hope it doesnt happen again! thanks for the company!

tomandrom Sat 15-Dec-07 11:15:42

OMG, you are putting the fear of God into me that I will be an emotional wreck... I went in to help out at DS's preschool and got to see them practicing the songs for Xmas, and I was welling up then just looking at his little three-year-old face! When he's dressed as a shepherd on Monday I will be in pieces, I'm sure.

AND I have agreed to be Mary in the local church's Xmas pageant-type thing, even though Christmas carols make me cry. Will have to pinch myself or something. 'Little Donkey' is one of the worst ones, IMO.

rutternutter Sat 15-Dec-07 11:19:10

My grandpa used to cry a lot at things, especially hymns, massed bands and his favourite classical music. I always thought it was just him, and could never understand why he was crying. I think the b*&&%^ has passed it on to me - I do get emotional about things but it tends to be related to specific pieces of music and memories of people, and yes the nativity play had me. And last weekend we went to a Christmas tree festival locally and there were 60 trees all decorated by local schools, charities and businsses, all lit up and there I was in the corner, wiping away the tears - my DH just says 'oh look, mummy's off again!'

MummyDarlingSausage Sat 15-Dec-07 15:52:21

I haven't been to anything yet as my dd starts school after xmas but I am very emotional and know I would cry loads when the time comes. I remember my mum always cried when we did stuff at school but would never miss them. Your thread made me remember when I was 6 and in a nativity. I had no idea (or couldn't really remember)until I was older but my mum was in labour that day and didn't want to miss me as an angel so she sat through it with contractions and then went straight to hospital and had my brother!

shelinka Sun 16-Dec-07 06:11:50

On ds's 2nd birthday, his nursery had a party for him (they do it for all the kids) and he had to sit in the middle of the group while all the rest of the kids sang to him. I was in floods of tears (blamed it on post-natal hormones - my dd was a month old at the time). But the nursery teachers looked at me like I was mental. Maybe hormones had something to do with it, but seeing as I also cry at the the airport scene in Love Actually and even at bits of The Lion King, I think its only gonna get worse with time...

NannyGlen Fri 12-Nov-10 11:37:48

I'm not, on the whole, a crier, but children singing, dancing, acting. Deary deary me. when my children, all grown up now, reached around 10 years they requested, then ordered me not to attend. Tis just the same now with the grandchildren. Sucking then biting my top lip very, very hard sometimes gets me through.

How did this come back to life?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now