Nigella's ham cooked in Coke

(21 Posts)
jenthehen Thu 21-Dec-06 00:07:03

This has been raved about on here and I would love to try it but I'm a bit confused on the finer details. Please could you shed some light on this:

1} "mild cured" - does this mean the regular gammon from the average high street butcher?

2} should the ham be eaten hot or cold?
TIA {hmm}

Scootergirl Thu 21-Dec-06 07:35:54

I think mild-cure means not the smoked stuff and the ham can be eaten hot or cold. I've made it before and it's yummy!

FioFio Thu 21-Dec-06 07:42:01

Message deleted

thewill Thu 21-Dec-06 07:53:00

i have her ham in cherry coke recipe if you want it.
sounds strange but very nice

Scootergirl Thu 21-Dec-06 08:12:11

I've got the recipe but will have to wait until DCs are asleep before I can type it out in peace! It's basically piece of gamoon, boiled in full-fat coke (would you expect anything else!) then glazed with sugar and mustard. YUmmy. Not sure about the parsley sauce though

Rebi Thu 21-Dec-06 08:24:17

Nigella's way is the only way to do ham! I think it is simply a peeled whole onion, bottle of 'full fat' coke and your gammon into pot. Boil for about 2 hours. She then glazes it but I didn't like her glaze so I don't bother, but ham tastes stunning anyway. Eat hot or cold. Very very very yummy. Freezes well also.

iota Thu 21-Dec-06 08:29:17
fin54 Thu 21-Dec-06 08:33:00

Do you still soak the Ham before you cook in in the coke.

Scootergirl Thu 21-Dec-06 09:04:44

Only if you think you've got a salty piece, apparently!

EnjoyEveryDay Thu 21-Dec-06 09:09:30

I've made this too and it's really nice!
Eat hot just out of the oven while the glaze is all sticky and yummy, then put the rest in the fridge for sandwiches over the following few days! Lovely!

p.s. I'm sure it would go with parsley sauce if you wanted it too! (Maybe without the glaze as that's pretty sweet...)

WhenSantaWentQuietlyMad Fri 22-Dec-06 14:12:19

Can anyone tell me whether the treacle is strictly necessary? I have got golden syrup in the cupboard, and dark brown sugar - can I substitute?

I really can't be bothered to trek to the supermarket just for black treacle!

Scootergirl Fri 22-Dec-06 15:49:49

I wouldn't use golden syrup, I don't think. Just use the sugar on its own or mixed with a bit of mustard maybe, or even jsut enough Coke to make a paste. Perhaps...

andaSOAPBOXinapeartree Fri 22-Dec-06 15:53:41

The golden syrup will work okay - I used it last year as I hate the burnt taste of treacle. Honey would work too - anything thick and sweet.

Full sugar orange squash also works - stir some soft brown sugar into it, along with some mustard powder and then brush generously over the gammon.

WhenSantaWentQuietlyMad Fri 22-Dec-06 16:21:29

THank you so so much soapbox. Not only have you saved me an emergency trip to the supermarket, which I was dreading, but I hate the burnt taste of treacle too! Honey for me then.

THanks

Mercy Fri 22-Dec-06 16:58:54

What is gammon as opposed to ham then?

(am now seriously considering braving the supermarket tomorrow so I can try this)

WhenSantaWentQuietlyMad Fri 22-Dec-06 17:02:27

Gammon is just uncooked ham I think. When it is cooked it is ham - that is my simplistic understanding anyway.

GAMMON
1.A cured or smoked ham.
2.The lower part of a side of bacon.

HAM
1.The thigh of the hind leg of certain animals, especially a hog.
2.A cut of meat from the thigh of a hog.

janesmom Wed 04-Dec-13 22:27:10

Please tell me I'm not the only one who now finds this recipe a wee bit entertaining in light of current events.

singaporefling Wed 04-Dec-13 22:55:51

janesmom - my first thought too - am sure it would taste rather interesting fsmile

hollyisalovelyname Tue 10-Dec-13 18:57:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 10-Dec-13 18:58:47

Doh!!!
There I was using Coca Cola or Pepsi for this recipe.
I feel a bit stupid now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now