Childrens mispronunciation of Christmas realted things.

(55 Posts)
mumatuks Tue 28-Nov-06 15:55:54

DS1 keeps calling it Pistmas, so we've got a Pistmas tree, Father Pistmas and Pistmas decorations.

Anyone else have any funny way of saying things?

Tommy Mon 04-Dec-06 14:31:53

toothyboy - that could actually be quite helpful over the holidays

Leander Mon 04-Dec-06 10:15:16

Ds is learning his christmas songs for school and this is what he is singing at the moment
away in a ranger
no quilt for his bed

BettySpaghetti Mon 04-Dec-06 10:12:59

This is sort of related but I went to a Christmas event with DS the other day and one of the carols was "We Three Kings" - trouble was I could not remember the real words for love nor money -in my head was:

"we three kings of Orient are,
one in a taxi, one in a car,
one on a scooter
peeping his hooter
following yonder star"

Things like that stick with you for life don't they!?

Gemmasmummy Mon 04-Dec-06 09:43:22

My 2.9 year old says "elephant calendar" for "advent calendar".

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Sun 03-Dec-06 21:55:10

Ds1:
"Happy birfday to you,
Happy birfday to you,
Happy birfday Sweet Cheeses
etc"

Dd:
"Jingle bells, jingle bells,
Jingle all the way.
Old Macdonald farm to sing
On one horse on a sleigh"

SantaGotStuckUpTheGreensleeve Sun 03-Dec-06 21:52:09

My 2yo ds is so excited about Christmas, he keeps wrapping up little toys in paper and bringing them to me He dumps them in my lap and says "Dat yoo pwednant! Open yoo pwednant!" It's so sweet [soppy emoticon]

JollyOldSaintNikkielas Sun 03-Dec-06 21:50:29

We have been carol singing with Rainbows , Dd2 singing her heart out with ............
Jingle bells
batman smells
robin flew away

Toothyboy Sun 03-Dec-06 20:54:47

Ds1 has been learning Christmas songs at preschool - "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" complete with the line "Good tidying we bring"!

SherlockLGJ Sun 03-Dec-06 20:49:07

Classic is not the word she uses.

Wilful, disrespectful.......... no seriously, we now have Mum and Dad singing it, so picture if you will 8 adults all singing the wrong words. There are five grandchildren coming behind, this could get messy.

CountTo10LordsaLeaping Sun 03-Dec-06 20:48:44

DS is grasping the idea of christmas and now except he doesn't call it christmas, he calls it chrisman which he's now got me doing without realising it!!!

noonar Sun 03-Dec-06 20:45:48

sherlok, that is classic!

SherlockLGJ Sun 03-Dec-06 20:40:36

I have left the correct words in for the first verse, but see below in bold. The problem is that my DB and my DS have now been singing this for nigh on 30 years and when we go to Mass on Christmas morning, en masse my DM knows, she knows, she just know us three plus partners are going to belt out the words.........Hosanna lives in Chelsea!

Ding dong merrily on high,
In heav'n the bells are ringing:
Ding dong! verily the sky
Is riv'n with angel singing.
Gloria, Hosanna in excelsis!

E'en so here below, below,
Let steeple bells be swungen,
And "Io, io, io!"
By priest and people sungen.
Gloria, Hosanna lives in Chelsea!

Pray you, dutifully prime
Your matin chime, ye ringers;
May you beautifully rime
Your evetime song, ye singers.
Gloria, Hosanna lives in Chelsea!

noonar Sun 03-Dec-06 20:34:12

rofl, at 'tortoise'. so sweet!

noonar Sun 03-Dec-06 20:33:11

dd1 used to sing ' we wish you a merry xmas and a happy NEW EAR'

Lio Sun 03-Dec-06 20:26:39

Oh surprise, that is lovely about the tortoise!

surprise Fri 01-Dec-06 22:50:53

not christmas, but my DD (now 10) used to sing Hot cross buns - "if you have no tortoise, give them to your sons". still makes me laugh that one

Glitterygookwithchocsonthetree Fri 01-Dec-06 22:36:39

Ds1 sang today 'jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way. Old Macdonald is to find on a one horse open sleigh' - ha ha, he's 5.5!!!

JollyOldSaintNikkielas Fri 01-Dec-06 22:35:09

Mary is going to Bethanyhem (also in her version no Joseph-think she can't say it rather than Mary is a single Mam!)

Tommy Fri 01-Dec-06 20:10:34

my DSs can't pronounce a J so we get a lot of "Baby Geezers"

anorak Fri 01-Dec-06 20:09:30

My DS says Farmer Christmas as well.

Cue DH keeping on saying 'Ho Ho Ho get off my land'.

JanH Fri 01-Dec-06 20:08:50

In DD2's version of Away in a Manger, the cattle were "lonely"

LemonTart Fri 01-Dec-06 20:08:10

"when santa got crapped up the chimney" is DD2’s version of a certain classic song (trapped = crapped - forgets it should be stuck!!), you can imagine how great that is sung round Marks and Sparks coffee shop

christmosschops30 Fri 01-Dec-06 20:02:18

dd used to call 'him' Farmer Mismas

just the vision of 'mismas' with a flat cap on trundling along with all the toys on the back of the tractor made me smile

poshgirlformerlymaggiesmama Fri 01-Dec-06 19:45:48

not mispronounciation exactly, but when asked to described what happens at christmas my dd (3) says we put up the decORa-shUNs (intonation) and then the eagles come. took me ages to realise she was referring to 'the night before christmas' - "more rapid than eagles his coursers they came..."

insanity

NativityJane Fri 01-Dec-06 19:40:23

Well, with it being the 1st of 'Diztzember' today, DS opened his 'infant canender' I am sure there will be many more to come...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now