Christmas Day Breakfast - ideas on how to make it special without spending ages away from the dc.

(88 Posts)
GoingQuietlyMad Tue 21-Nov-06 08:59:30

I have my MIL and husband coming here for Christmas, and because we have been entertained there countless times for Christmas, I would really like to pull out all the stops.

I want to put on something special for Christmas day breakfast BUT I don't want to spend ages preparing it and missing the dds (3 and 9 months) opening presents etc.

Can anyone think of ways I can make a fairly ordinary breakfast seem a bit more special, or a quick recipe I can roll out in about 15 mins or so.

Any feedback much appreciated.

newgirl Wed 03-Dec-08 17:14:24

i made the nigella muffins! not that great tbh - and i love all cakes and am fairly good at making them - just tasted a bit sour rather than juicy and lovely. They may have tasted better without my mother looking at me while i made them with an expresion on her face to say 'are you mad?'

thanks for ideas - im going with bacon sandwiches made by dh and maybe tinned (!) orange and grapefruit salad and croissants

broccoliandchips Wed 03-Dec-08 19:32:37

French Toast (eggy bread!) with maple syrup, cold orange juice and hot, fresh coffee - always goes down well in our house. Crispy bacon can also be added (if you've time but isn't absolutely necessary) to the sweet, fluffy toast. Yum!

yomellamoHelly Wed 03-Dec-08 19:45:43

Waffles with hne or maple syrup would go down best with our son. Otherwise bacon butties? Posh orange juice? Eggs benedict also v easy and impressive tasting.

yomellamoHelly Wed 03-Dec-08 19:46:11

honey that should read!

OLIVIASMAMA Wed 03-Dec-08 20:25:26

We had bacon butties with melted brie stuffed into warm french bread last year mmmmmmmmmmm delicious grin

OLIVIASMAMA Wed 03-Dec-08 20:27:05

..... bucks fizz too, very important!

cat64 Wed 03-Dec-08 20:37:40

Message withdrawn

frazzledoldbag34 Wed 03-Dec-08 21:51:30

For the last 2 yrs I've made Nigellas gingerbread muffins. Weigh all the stuff out night before, then on XMas morning mix together and bung in oven. Makes the house smell delicious. I also (last year) let DD make chocolate muffins for breakfast -yum.
I also have made (along with the muffins for when we have a houseful on Christmas mornng) crispy bacon, scrambled eggs and pancakes. Sometimes French toast. Sometimes smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Sometimes croissants with lots of jam or marmalade. And sometimes a huge fruit salad with thick creamy greek yogurt on the side (nice and light at the beginning of a day of extravagance).
Good luck!
(oh and of course some bucks fizz!)

bucks fizz like Oliviasmama, smoked salmon, cream cheese on thin wholemeal toast.

ASuitableGirl Thu 24-Nov-11 20:19:06

I wonder what the OP did have, 5 years ago grin

GlitterKitty Thu 24-Nov-11 21:14:09

US style *cinnamon rolls*- made with a yeast dough, rolled up with a butter, sugar and cinnamon filling, then baked and topped with a cream cheese icing. Definatly not vile dry danish types. here

arizonamom Thu 22-Dec-11 17:40:37

How about a strata that you prepare the night before and just throw in the oven? Add some fresh fruit and small croissants and I'm salivating already!

SanTEEClaus Thu 22-Dec-11 17:54:29

This thread is from 2008. I think that Christmas dilemma is over. The kids have probably moved out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now