Christmas Day Breakfast - ideas on how to make it special without spending ages away from the dc.

(88 Posts)
GoingQuietlyMad Tue 21-Nov-06 08:59:30

I have my MIL and husband coming here for Christmas, and because we have been entertained there countless times for Christmas, I would really like to pull out all the stops.

I want to put on something special for Christmas day breakfast BUT I don't want to spend ages preparing it and missing the dds (3 and 9 months) opening presents etc.

Can anyone think of ways I can make a fairly ordinary breakfast seem a bit more special, or a quick recipe I can roll out in about 15 mins or so.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Bellie Tue 21-Nov-06 09:00:44

smoked salmon, cream cheese, scrambled eggs and bagels with bucks fizz?

Carmenere Tue 21-Nov-06 09:01:47

Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs is quick and easy.
American Pancakes with crispy bacon and maple syrup, the batter can be made in advance.

hulababy Tue 21-Nov-06 09:02:20

Chocolate???

DD loves crossiants so we may have them. She loved it last year (I think it was) when we did little squares of crunchy toast and butter topped with little quail's eggs.

StrawberryMoon Tue 21-Nov-06 09:03:25

huge bacon sandwhiches would go down exceedingly well in this house and will be this year..with pots of hot chocolate and a few sweeties opened as a special treat

smoked salmon with scrambled eggs on the poshest toast you can muster, coffee, freshly squeezed orange and champagne.

Pollyanna Tue 21-Nov-06 09:04:37

We usually just have croissants and champagne/bucks fizz. Later on when we get back from church (we don't have lunch until about 3 o clock) there are bacon sandwiches.

Carmenere Tue 21-Nov-06 09:04:40

Croissants baked with ham and cheese are deliciuous too.

StrawberryMoon Tue 21-Nov-06 09:05:28

crusty baguettes with butter and pate

GoingQuietlyMad Tue 21-Nov-06 09:06:24

Ooooh - these are all lovely ideas, thank you.

DH considers pancakes his speciality, so this gives me a cunning idea to provide a special breakfast AND spend all my time with the dds. After all, it is his mum?

Aha - smoked salmon and scrambled egg is MIL's speciality - another option!

I was struggling to come up with anything more exciting than toast with whisky flavoured marmalade!

unknownrebelbang Tue 21-Nov-06 09:07:17

Another vote for croissants and bucks fizz.

eidsvold Tue 21-Nov-06 09:07:57

we do smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with bucks fizz...

just read the other posts - agree with that

jessicaandrebeccasmummy Tue 21-Nov-06 09:09:50

dad does scrambled eggs and smoked salmon

i dont like it, so we have croissants with bacon

YUM!

GoingQuietlyMad Tue 21-Nov-06 09:10:43

WOW - crossed posts with about 10 responses. I have got a sort of "warm copper kettles and bright woollen mittens" feeling just reading these suggestions.

Champagne is a lovely idea but the thought of it at that time makes me feel ill. Bucks fizz might offer me a better prospect of making it to lunch without passing out.

Have definitely decided it has to be something totally different to normal. Chocolate, croissants, bacon sandwiches - especially wrapped around Church sounds good.

VanillaMilkshake Tue 21-Nov-06 09:23:04

How about sausage sarnies, with sausages cooked in the oven, so all you have to do is butter the bread - better still for real indulgence why not pop the sausage in a butter croisant! Yum. I love fruit fizzy drinks limeade etc - who cares about colouring at Christmas?

In the past I have done stollen - it is a kind of bread with fruits in and marzipan in the middle. It is not that hard - esp. if you are used to making bread or have a bread machine. I don't really follow the recipe but use it as a guide, make basic dough, chuck in fruit and put marzipan in the oven.

The best thing about it and why it works for me for christmas breakfast is that I make it with the children in the afternoon on christmas eve and then put it in the oven (cold) to rise overnight (anywhere cold will do). Then christmas morning crank up the oven, brush it with some milk or egg and cook it.

It really is easy and special - but I am a blood sugar junkie and anything like marzipan to send me rocketing first thing in the morning is a real treat!

opps I don't put marzipan in the oven (like some festive nutter) I put marzipan in the middle

Waswondering Tue 21-Nov-06 09:30:52

Nigella's Christmas morning muffins.

The dry and wet ingrgientsare prepared separately on Christmas Eve, then you combine in the morning and 15 mins later the house sells divine and they are yummy smothered in butter, straight from the oven. Also they cook by themselves so no time away from dds.

MrsBadger Tue 21-Nov-06 09:30:57

Or if you can stretch to baking in the morning, Nigella has a recipe for Christmas Morning Muffins - you mix the dry and the wet ingredients seperately the night before and put in fridge overnight, then in the morning mix together, pour into tin and bake.
Bit of a pain as you have to wait while they bake but means the house smells of warm spicy baking on Christmas morning - not to be sniffed at when it comes to impressing PIL!

(I like the idea of getting your DH to make pancakes)

MrsBadger Tue 21-Nov-06 09:31:29

great minds, WasWondering...

TheHighwayCod Tue 21-Nov-06 09:31:39

her muffins are shite though

Waswondering Tue 21-Nov-06 09:32:44

not these ones

MrsBadger Tue 21-Nov-06 09:33:19

are they?
I was impressed with the concept rather than the product (have never been organised enough to bake on christmas morning)

TheHighwayCod Tue 21-Nov-06 09:33:55

gpd have abacon sandwhich and be done!
no one will thank you for it
or m and s do tiny pain au chocolat and pain auraisin you bake int he oven

zephyrcat Tue 21-Nov-06 09:34:11

Smoked salmon and cream scrambled eggs inside brioche rolls with bucks fizz.... Mars gave me the delia recipe for it a couple of years ago and we now use it all the time - it's seriously yum!!!

indignatio Tue 21-Nov-06 09:34:29

Cook some sausages the night before. Wrap cooked sausages in croissant dough (avail in tubes in chilled section of most major supermarkets !!!) and bake in oven on morning

TheHighwayCod Tue 21-Nov-06 09:35:46

how cna oyu get pissed at brekafast barf

GoingQuietlyMad Tue 21-Nov-06 09:38:43

I love the idea of being a domestic goddess on Xmas morning with the muffin smell wafting through the flat. We will be a bit squashed in here, so I might be grateful of the break being in the kitchen for 5 mins.

How to impress PIL! I just feel like I want to do something different and special and start a tradition for the dc. And being really honest there is a slight competitive edge of "See what a great wife your son chose" - sad but true even though in theory I am a feminist.

I love your stollen idea - I have made them in Christmasses past, but not sure if I can handle the blood sugar rocketing that early. Need to pace myself or I will end up like a hyperactive toddler on E numbers.

Yum yum! We usually have panettone followed by rolls that we heat in the oven with masses of butter. But I am vey tempted by Nigella's muffins - I don't have any of her books though. Which one are they in? Will try and get from lirary!

KTeepee Tue 21-Nov-06 12:52:22

Presents are usually opened in our house at the crack of dawn so no risk of missing the big event while cooking breakfast! Scrambled eggs & smoked salmon is a staple here too...

Could someone post the recipe for those Christmas muffins, please? Might try them for a change (or on one of the other days over Christmas...)

MrsBadger Tue 21-Nov-06 12:57:42
KTeepee Tue 21-Nov-06 13:19:32

Thanks!

GoingQuietlyMad Tue 21-Nov-06 14:40:03

Thanks for that MrsBadger. Realised I have got the book and obviously never read it that closely.

Sound quite nice but I think I might need to give it a test run just to make sure.

MarsLady Tue 21-Nov-06 14:44:25

smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and champers! That's what we do every year! Yum! Takes hardly any time... and the kids are far more interested in eating the chocolate from their Christmas stockings than attempting real food!

TheHighwayCod Tue 21-Nov-06 14:45:02

but alcohol at brekafast
no

MarsLady Tue 21-Nov-06 14:49:52

oh coddy YES!

The turkey will be in the oven, my DSisters will be bringing ham and lamb.

There will be nothing else to do but smile our way through Church (hic) and come back home, turn the turkey and wait for my DSisters to arrive with a shedload more pressies and more crap for the kids to feast on! lol

Enid Tue 21-Nov-06 14:51:36

DONT MAKE THE MUFFINS

STEP AWAY FROM THE RECIPE

I made them once and everyone hated them and they were a PITA

I do pancakes as a sop to conscience, but really teh dds just want chocolate

I don't drink either as I feel shite by The Lunch

ComeOVeneer Tue 21-Nov-06 14:52:34

Snap Mars that is what we have too ('tis the family tradition that my father cooks this for xmas morning) with the option of buck's fizz or OJ for thse that want.

TheHighwayCod Tue 21-Nov-06 14:53:09

agree with enid

again

<sigh>

hangover mid mornign is NOt good

MarsLady Tue 21-Nov-06 14:54:06

Coddy... you lightweight! Does a glass make you all squiffy? lol

ComeOVeneer Tue 21-Nov-06 14:54:29

Common Cod , one glass of champers isn't hangover inducing though. And it is my dad wo makes it so it must be ok

TheHighwayCod Tue 21-Nov-06 14:54:50

i drather have some cafe direct kilamanjaro

ComeOVeneer Tue 21-Nov-06 14:55:13

Oops apologises for calling you common. (obviously I meant come on).

MarsLady Tue 21-Nov-06 14:58:54

dunno COV.... lol!

GoingQuietlyMad Tue 21-Nov-06 15:03:55

I agree with no alcohol before midday.

There are only two horrendous possibilities for the rest of the day IME.

One - sober up then have to face horrible reality of cooking Xmas dinner with a hangover.

Two - get absolutely hammered and host a Baby Jane style Xmas day in front of the PIL, complete with burnt food and arguments with dh.

madmarchhare Tue 21-Nov-06 15:04:05

Had kedgeree at friends one christmas morning, twas divine. I imagine you can do most of it the day before.

GoingQuietlyMad Tue 21-Nov-06 15:06:08

I did consider this, but my kedgeree is always really bland - do you have a good recipe?

nailpolish Tue 21-Nov-06 15:07:31

for the breakfast we always have scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast

and bucks fizz

GoingQuietlyMad Tue 21-Nov-06 15:09:07

BTW thanks for the tip about the muffins Enid. Only one thing that is worse than making a real effort, and that is when it produces something inedible that everyone hates or politely eats.

madmarchhare Tue 21-Nov-06 15:10:38

Havent ever done it myself tbh, but did a quick search and they all pretty much look this this .

Enid Tue 21-Nov-06 15:19:40

You could always push the boat out and go for this

special, no?

TheHighwayCod Tue 21-Nov-06 15:38:16

lol

thats owudl make her wonder woman in FIls eyes

Waswondering Tue 21-Nov-06 15:39:02

The muffins are worth a dry run. The dried cranberries are optional - a friend makes them without.

But I do love them.

LunarSea Tue 21-Nov-06 17:11:55

We do smoked salmon omelette for Christmas morning.

Californifrau Tue 21-Nov-06 18:50:28

we usually do smoked salmon and scrambled eggs (tho amthinking am allergic to eggs so have to come up with an alternative) and then croisants and jams

pointydog Tue 21-Nov-06 19:00:50

Wow! I had no idea frankfurters could be so spectacular

nutcracker Tue 21-Nov-06 19:05:00

Can i just ask a thicky question ? I like scrambled eggs and I like smoked salmon. Do you just mix the two together then ??

pointydog Tue 21-Nov-06 19:13:42

Eggs 'n' fish. Stinky.

sweetkitty Tue 21-Nov-06 19:24:12

We always have a good old fashioned fry up, don't have one that often so a real treat. Left over from the days when we needed it to soak up Christmas booze. I usually wait until all presents are opened, paper etc tidied away and they will be playing away quite happily

TheHighwayCod Tue 21-Nov-06 19:24:47

leave the dc to puke on choc

Waswondering Tue 21-Nov-06 19:29:21

Croissants are v quick and can be eaten on the run without leaving the proceedings.

No idea what we're doing for Christmas morning breakfast - staying at bil and sils house having been on holiday with them the preceeding week. Hmmm. May need to discuss that one with sil!

mamama Tue 21-Nov-06 19:33:58

We usually have scrambled egg with smoked salmon and/ or croissants.

I second the vito on Nigella's xmas morning muffins - they sound and smell far better than they tase. However, her gingerbread muffins (eith in how to be a domestic goddess or Feast, can't remember atm) are really yummy & dead easy to make. I do them on xmas eve or get everything ready & bake them on xmas morning. The house smells all warm and spicy. Yum

nikkie Tue 21-Nov-06 19:56:49

we have pain au chocolate/croissants/jam etc dd1s favourite breakfast and quick/easy/minimal washing up!

MarsLady Tue 21-Nov-06 20:00:18

nutty..... oh yummy yum yum!

Gillian76 Tue 21-Nov-06 20:06:05

I don't know how much fuss will be expected but I'd go with a bacon roll personally.

And I couldn't think of alcohol so early in the day.

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 21-Nov-06 20:07:23

Another vote for smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.

foxtrot Tue 21-Nov-06 20:13:19

chocolate brioche, bacon sarnies and a large tube of smarties usually does the trick here.
Third the thumbs down on Nigella's muffins, tried and found wanting i'm afraid.

NannyL Tue 21-Nov-06 20:22:33

i vote for chocolate briche, pain au cocolate and vanilla yogurt... oh and satsumas!

oh and cinammon and raisen bagels!

this year for Xmas breakfAST I will be having 2 or 3 chocolate brioce and satsuma... normally eat about 6 or 7 stasumas before X mas dinner!

crunchie Tue 21-Nov-06 20:25:07

Funny enough I do her muffins and everybody loves them

GoingQuietlyMad Tue 21-Nov-06 20:34:55

LOL Enid and Cod.

As I described to dh when he asked why I was laughing - it looks like a load of dog turds wrapped around a pineapple. Actually am tempted to serve this up one day just to see people's faces as it arrives a table.

poshgirlformerlymaggiesmama Tue 21-Nov-06 20:39:41

no time to read whole thread. but you can make american pancakes well in advance and freeze them. so then if you got them out the night before etcetc... an serve them with fruit and maple syrup t'would be very easy indeed

Enid Wed 22-Nov-06 09:23:34

orange salad? Light and refreshing

SlightlyMadScientist Wed 22-Nov-06 12:57:59

Havn't read the thread but we do coissants & jam & fresh OJ. 2 mins in the oven.

GoingQuietlyMad Thu 23-Nov-06 18:44:41

Enid, I love that cookbook. Wonder where I can get a copy?

fattimumma Tue 02-Dec-08 17:47:39

Hi
On Christmas morning we have scrambled eggs made with double cream, mixed with salmon served on a warm croissant. This is washed down with bubbly, which we finish off whilst opening presents.

newgirl Wed 03-Dec-08 17:14:24

i made the nigella muffins! not that great tbh - and i love all cakes and am fairly good at making them - just tasted a bit sour rather than juicy and lovely. They may have tasted better without my mother looking at me while i made them with an expresion on her face to say 'are you mad?'

thanks for ideas - im going with bacon sandwiches made by dh and maybe tinned (!) orange and grapefruit salad and croissants

broccoliandchips Wed 03-Dec-08 19:32:37

French Toast (eggy bread!) with maple syrup, cold orange juice and hot, fresh coffee - always goes down well in our house. Crispy bacon can also be added (if you've time but isn't absolutely necessary) to the sweet, fluffy toast. Yum!

yomellamoHelly Wed 03-Dec-08 19:45:43

Waffles with hne or maple syrup would go down best with our son. Otherwise bacon butties? Posh orange juice? Eggs benedict also v easy and impressive tasting.

yomellamoHelly Wed 03-Dec-08 19:46:11

honey that should read!

OLIVIASMAMA Wed 03-Dec-08 20:25:26

We had bacon butties with melted brie stuffed into warm french bread last year mmmmmmmmmmm delicious grin

OLIVIASMAMA Wed 03-Dec-08 20:27:05

..... bucks fizz too, very important!

cat64 Wed 03-Dec-08 20:37:40

Message withdrawn

frazzledoldbag34 Wed 03-Dec-08 21:51:30

For the last 2 yrs I've made Nigellas gingerbread muffins. Weigh all the stuff out night before, then on XMas morning mix together and bung in oven. Makes the house smell delicious. I also (last year) let DD make chocolate muffins for breakfast -yum.
I also have made (along with the muffins for when we have a houseful on Christmas mornng) crispy bacon, scrambled eggs and pancakes. Sometimes French toast. Sometimes smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Sometimes croissants with lots of jam or marmalade. And sometimes a huge fruit salad with thick creamy greek yogurt on the side (nice and light at the beginning of a day of extravagance).
Good luck!
(oh and of course some bucks fizz!)

bucks fizz like Oliviasmama, smoked salmon, cream cheese on thin wholemeal toast.

ASuitableGirl Thu 24-Nov-11 20:19:06

I wonder what the OP did have, 5 years ago grin

GlitterKitty Thu 24-Nov-11 21:14:09

US style *cinnamon rolls*- made with a yeast dough, rolled up with a butter, sugar and cinnamon filling, then baked and topped with a cream cheese icing. Definatly not vile dry danish types. here

arizonamom Thu 22-Dec-11 17:40:37

How about a strata that you prepare the night before and just throw in the oven? Add some fresh fruit and small croissants and I'm salivating already!

SanTEEClaus Thu 22-Dec-11 17:54:29

This thread is from 2008. I think that Christmas dilemma is over. The kids have probably moved out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now