AS THE ADVICE ON MN IS TO DO CHRISTMAS SHOPPING .......ONLINE........PLEASE SHARE YOUR BEST/WORST ONLINE SHOPS HERE....

(211 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Wed 11-Oct-06 19:43:29

AS THE ADVICE ON MN IS TO DO CHRISTMAS SHOPPING .......ONLINE........PLEASE SHARE YOUR BEST/WORST ONLINE SHOPS HERE....

AND ANY DISCOUNT CODES YOU KNOW ABOUT {with expiry dates}

THEN WE CAN ALL HAVE A TOTALLY STRESS FREE SHOPPING EXPERIENCE

PLEASE SAY IF YOU USED THEM LAST YEAR AND IF THEY WERE GOOD OR BAD

RE DELIVERY TIMES ETC.

PLEASE ALSO TELL US THE BAD ONES

MrsMcJnr Fri 13-Oct-06 19:32:06

I like Hotel Chocolat & Cox & Cox.

Rosa5 Fri 13-Oct-06 19:58:41

letterbox for me really helpful when you ring them up for more info on a product.
Amazon ( best postage rates for Overseas )

RUBBISH ....Vertbaudet customer service terrible. Put order in in August and its still not complete. So have asked to change the sizes originally ordered would not risk ordering anything for Christmas from them ..It might arrive for Easter if lucky !

RTKangaMummy Fri 13-Oct-06 22:34:13

Does anyone have any discount codes?

lexiemum Sun 15-Oct-06 13:06:15

best one I've found so far

www.lxdirect.co.uk

enter zq5909 = item reduced by £13.50
then
enter xx494 = 10% off

I've done two seperate orders using this - set an account up for my mum. still working today.

sunnydelight Mon 16-Oct-06 12:42:30

I use Amazon loads and never had any trouble with them (all deliveries spot on last Christmas) BUT I bought a portable DVD player for DS1's birthday in August and it was faulty. When I went to return it the website was directing me towards taking it up with the manufacturers. I managed to navigate around that on the website and got it collected and was awaiting a replacement when I got an e-mail telling me to contact the manufacturer (by now Amazon had my money and the returned faulty player). This is totally illegal under UK consumer law; your contract is with the retailer and attempts to make you resolve problems with a manufacturer is an attempt to breach their statutory responsibilites and is therefore potentially a criminal offence (most consumer law is civil). One very snotty e-mail quoting the legislation gave me my replacement within 12 hours but I was really surprised that a big company like Amazon were trying to get away with it. So beware if you are returning stuff!

GeorginaA Mon 16-Oct-06 12:47:18

Amazon has let me down the last three christmases - if you do buy from them, make sure it's things like books and CDs which they have in their warehouse and not toys which they then order from their supplier (i.e. only order in late November with things that say "dispatch in 24hrs" on them).

SoMuchToBats Mon 16-Oct-06 12:50:17

Lakeland is always good.

Last year my sister ordered something from a site called Jamboree and it was rubbish. They didn't send the order, but didn't let her know there would be a delay with it. Then when she tried to contact them, they weren't very helpful, and had trouble tracking the order. In the end she cancelled it, and ordered something else from Heritage gifts, who delivered really quickly. They do a good range of Playmobil, Lego, Orchard toys, and several other well known brands of toys, as well as china, glassware etc.

joelallie Mon 16-Oct-06 12:57:50

Just ordered from thebookpeople. Really low prices and free P&P over £24 ( I think it was). Not received the order yet but I ordered over the phone last year and got the delivery within 2 days.

PeachyBobbingParty Mon 16-Oct-06 13:59:55

Amazon lost our order alst year, a DS so not cheap. they ahd it ina different colour but wouldn't send that, unless we paid for the new console first THEN claimed a refund- we had been waiting 2 months by then , so entrusting them with another £90? erm, no.

hadn't arrived by Feb, so gave up and claimed it all back.

Like toysrus, discountbicycles.com, yellow moon, from last years experience.... oh and Argos online.

PeachyBobbingParty Mon 16-Oct-06 14:04:24

feelsweet.co.uk is great fr notalgic sweeties, sued thema few times

Joelalie- dunno what you mean - so glad we're near Newport / Cardiff / Cwmbran for Christmas LOL!!!!!

joelallie Mon 16-Oct-06 14:35:14

peachy - Used to love Cardiff at Christmas time Spent three very happy years at uni there.

Taunton is OK and I don't mind a treg into Exeter or Bristol - as it won't be a real shopping trip, just a jolly to look at the lights and have lunch somewhere nice. I would never ever ever ever again go for a full-on 'god-what-shall-we-get-for-awkward-auntie-doris-and-uncle-bob-who-only-plays-golf-and-has-all-the-golf-related-crap-that-was-ever-made-anyway-whilst-dodging-crying-toddler-in-buggy-and-bad-tempered-old-ladies' rl shopping trip.! Garden World at Highbridge had a huge christmas section - we normally visit and buy a few special tree decs, have a play on the pirate ship and maybe some tea and cakes. That almost accounts for ALL my rl xmas shopping these day. Heaven!

PeachyBobbingParty Mon 16-Oct-06 15:03:21

Used to like garden world, til they got the snakes. yeesh.

Do everything on the net, really. SO much easier!

joelallie Mon 16-Oct-06 17:15:27

Don't you like snakes then?? Narrowly escaped getting one for DS#1 for christmas. Not that I mind them but wouldn't want the responsiblity of caring for something that dies if it gets cold!! So we're buying him 2 rats instead I quite like the idea actually.

PeachyBobbingParty Mon 16-Oct-06 17:28:39

Like rats, cockroaches, wasps, spiders... phobic of snakes. Even my hinduism lecturer ahs tor efer to them as 'unmentionables'

joelallie Mon 16-Oct-06 17:39:29

I'm with you on spiders and other various insects but nothing with fur or scales. We now have a cat, 2 fish (soon to be more) and we'll have 2 rats - I can see my determination not to become a menagerie is fading away

PeachyBobbingParty Mon 16-Oct-06 17:55:53

we had a cat already, just taken on a three legged no tailed kitten (found beaten up in Bridgy and taken to mys siter who works at a vets), getting goldfish for DS2 for christmas.

Would love a dofg but landlord woulodn't LOL

Cappuccino Mon 16-Oct-06 18:01:17

oh you know I like Vertbaudet, never had any problems

cremolafoam Mon 16-Oct-06 18:20:19
cremolafoam Mon 16-Oct-06 18:20:55
poppiesinaline Mon 16-Oct-06 19:23:47

Toys R Us - BAD BAD BAD experience with them last year.

Ordered on line in October (so I was being really organised) 9 out of the 15 things I ordered were out of stock already. They had no idea when they were coming in, but held the rest of my order back (but still took the money out of my account )

To cut a long long story very short - I cancelled my order one week before Christmas as it still hadnt turned up and had to dash around the shops like a maniac trying to buy everything by which time DDs main present I could find NOWHERE .

They took ages refunding me and still, to this day, have not refunded me my 'delivery charge' of the goods I never received

Out of pure principle I refuse EVER again to buy ANYTHING from Toys R Us.

There rant over

holidaysoon Tue 17-Oct-06 00:04:52

Have been badly let down by Amazon like lots of others on here. (ie left with no gifts the odd e-mail saying it's coming when it didn't etc). Just used red house books (can get ot it through the book people) with no problem and very speedy too.

holidaysoon Tue 17-Oct-06 00:05:48

Oh not really Christmas but bump to 3 was fine too. Very quick grobag delivery!

piximon Tue 17-Oct-06 13:29:44

I've had problems with Verbaudet and now don't use them for clothes. They take so long with the delivery (even for items they said were in stock) that by the time they arrive they are too small. As an idea of how long, I'd ordered bigger sizes to start with!
Had no problems with Amazon, Book People, Hotel Chocolat and Hawkins last year.

joelallie Tue 17-Oct-06 13:34:39

I am truly by the number of people who had problems with Amazon! They have never let me down. Only time I got a bit niggly was when one thing took 2 weeks to arrive - they told me that it might but I just hoped it wouldn't.

danceswiththedevil Tue 17-Oct-06 13:53:29

I've used this website a few times and they have been excellent with very quick delivery. They sell gardening stuff but also have fab selection of wicker and seagrass storage baskets (also bought ds some cute wellies from here)
P&P is free grovelands

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now