AS THE ADVICE ON MN IS TO DO CHRISTMAS SHOPPING .......ONLINE....... .PLEASE SHARE YOUR BEST/WORST ONLINE SHOPS HERE....

(211 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Wed 11-Oct-06 19:43:29

AS THE ADVICE ON MN IS TO DO CHRISTMAS SHOPPING .......ONLINE........PLEASE SHARE YOUR BEST/WORST ONLINE SHOPS HERE....

AND ANY DISCOUNT CODES YOU KNOW ABOUT {with expiry dates}

THEN WE CAN ALL HAVE A TOTALLY STRESS FREE SHOPPING EXPERIENCE

PLEASE SAY IF YOU USED THEM LAST YEAR AND IF THEY WERE GOOD OR BAD

RE DELIVERY TIMES ETC.

PLEASE ALSO TELL US THE BAD ONES

80sMum Wed 11-Oct-06 22:41:20

You might like to sign up to Greasy Palm to get discounts from various retailers. It's surprising how it mounts up.

emmatom Wed 11-Oct-06 22:59:36

www.dvd.co.uk - similar to Amazon, but cheaper and free, quick postage.

busybusymum Wed 11-Oct-06 23:00:42

I agree with PP I have just ordered some bits and bobs from yellowmoon.org.uk My order arrived within 4 days form putting online order in. Excellent. they also give a % to charity, (if your school isnt using this system please feel free to nominate our school, its code is SSO1171. )

the book people if you like books

Amazon always found to be good too!

RTKangaMummy Thu 12-Oct-06 11:19:23

Has anyone got any horror stories?

Please make sure you tell us that it is a horror story iyswim

jessicaandrebeccasmummy Thu 12-Oct-06 11:22:31

Amazon seem ok so far
Woolworths
Play.com

I do all my xmas shopping online - dont have the patience for town!

I used a really cute sweet shop last year online - just cnat remember the site - it was for retro sweets...... if someone knows - tell me! I have fudge and turkish delight to buy again this year!

HowwwlidaymumsHauntedCruises Thu 12-Oct-06 11:24:34

mojolondon.co.uk
free delivery and they will giftwrap free too, great for all ages , mine always get tubtints from them as a stocking filler and its great for awkward teenagers too!

redbullbloodandbump Thu 12-Oct-06 11:26:08

play.com brilliant we get our books,cds,dvds,and computor games from them really cheap.

Last year i had a problem with ELC the toy boxs were all battered when i opened the box you cant give broken boxes to kids can you, anyway took back the broken ones and they exchanged no problem

LunarSea Thu 12-Oct-06 11:33:50

jessicaandrebeccasmummy - was it one of these?
aquarterof.co.uk
bagsofsweets.co.uk
chocolatebuttons.co.uk
britishcandy.com

MissyBabee Thu 12-Oct-06 12:32:09

i can reiterate the problems of dealing with amazon near to christmas. my sister had to go out and re-buy loads of presents year before last because her order never showed til after the big day.

think they've sorted themselves out a bit now and don't promise things they can't deliver in time. means you have to be organised.

they are great the rest of the year though!

bossykate Thu 12-Oct-06 12:49:46

hello everyone

can i ask for your recommendations for good site to buy christmas decorations on-line?

TIA

batters Thu 12-Oct-06 13:33:23

play.com is very good.

Agree with Marina re Amazon - delivery dates change and change and change if you are ordering anything out of the ordinary, and you need to keep a watchful eye on this. Have received an order from October mid January - it was originally meant to arrive at the beginning of November .

Mailorder Express - ordered a Playmobile advent calendar yesterday and it has arrived today.

Tridias - good for something a little unusual.

Have used Woolworths on line a long time ago and was fab. Ditto John Lewis.

Hated the service with toys r us, again it was years ago, but it put me off ever using them again.

chickeninabox Thu 12-Oct-06 13:37:51

justchildsplay.co.uk seems very good - have ordered a couple of birthday pressies and both people were impressed.

Marina Thu 12-Oct-06 13:39:29

bossykate there's a good range on the John Lewis website or are you after something a bit more out of the ordinary?

jessicaandrebeccasmummy Thu 12-Oct-06 13:41:22

THANKS LunarSea - BagsofSweets it was - WOO HOO!

bossykate Thu 12-Oct-06 13:41:34

thank you, marina. not looking for anything particularly unusual - it's just our house was looking rather bare last year!

Amazon (particularly for toys/ps2 games etc) and the book people are both really good. I wouldn't leave it too late though.

BloodyTenaLady Thu 12-Oct-06 13:50:22

Tesco, all Christmas gadgets didnt work and they gave me a hard time replacing them. Crackers were poo too and they were meant to be luxury.

I enjoyed receiving stuff from Boots, quite efficient and you clock up the points.

franca70 Thu 12-Oct-06 14:16:55

letterbox is great
barefootbooks.co.uk

Twohootsandapumpkin Thu 12-Oct-06 16:49:58

Debenhams.com have been rubbish recently. Ordered a present with a promotion code, put in the code but the discount did not appear on the invoice page so I cancelled the order (or so I thought) before I went any further. I then tried again and went through with the transaction (got confirmation) still no discount. So had to ring them, they said yes the discount would be applied but doesn't show up on the web? What???

So I said could they check that only one order had gone through and they said yes. Guess what 2 of the same thing arrived!! I was furious!

Sent both back in disgust and am still waiting for my refund 10 days later!

My advice - don't bother with them!

joelallie Thu 12-Oct-06 16:51:52

traidcraft - for cheapish jewellery and accessories - also fair-trade chocolates and wine.
amazon - of course. I bow before the wonder that is Amazon.
tridias - toys
mailorderexpress - for toys (huge range of playmobil and all the things that you've seen elsewhere but cheaper.
letterbox - toys
brightminds - toys....

anyone seeing a theme emerging....

I like the woodland trust site for cards, calendars and gift membership.

Used to really like Hawkins bazaar but website wasn't easy to use so ordered over the phone from the catalogue.

Couldn't do shopping in realy. Shops are not that good in our town and I don't really enjoy shopping anyway. The idea of a long, desperate shopping trip on a December saturday with 3 kids in tow does not sound good to me. Don't mind the odd brief visit to see the lights and choose some crackers but nothing more....

DingALongCow Thu 12-Oct-06 17:07:00

BibliophileBooks

Online end-of-line bookseller.
Some books really heavily discounted and delivery is only £3 in the UK no matter how big your order.
My family have used them for the last ten/twelve years (they did a monthly newletter for books before the website) and have never had any probs. Delivery can take up to 28 days if you have ordered something at the bottom of a pile of boxes!

If you want posh chocs then hotel chocolat is brilliant. And you can order it now and ask them to deliver anywhere in the uk for you by a specific date1 I use it for loads of stuff, forgotten birthdays/easter/congrats etc! Never had a problem!

For cheap toys/novelty gifts/decorations/calendars and cards I use studio cards but be warned....you HAVE to order early and they get less and less reliable the closer it gets to christmas, though I've always been told if stuff is out of stock and I've been sent replacments/credited promp'tly if needed (again the closer it gets to christmas the less likely they are to have replacements). You do get a discount on the order price too, if it's your account number you're ordering under, so it's worth seeing if any friends want to order stuff.

Can't think of anything else that hasn't already been mentioned!

lexiemum Thu 12-Oct-06 23:02:10

personalised mousemats

used many times last year - practically every family member received one! fantastic service, good value for money and receive goods usually within 24hrs of order.

MissyBabee Fri 13-Oct-06 08:28:28

LunarSea, i can't believe I have been looking at a Sweets website at 8.20 in the morning!!!!! Baaaaaad

Twohootsandapumpkin Fri 13-Oct-06 14:13:51

These were v good recently - order arrived the next day.

http://2littlefeet.buzzsites.net/page/aboutlittlefeet1.cfm

Sell soft shoes for kids and a few other bits - not necessarily xmas stuff but good anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now