Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Painful constipation for dd 8-(

(11 Posts)
PinkChick Wed 09-Jun-10 10:02:09

Have already been to gp reg blood on tissue when wiping a good few months ago, we were prescribed a liquid laxitive which i used but only half dose suggested incase there were 'accidents' everything seemed better, no more bleeding but stools still small and firm.

Coming back from holiday last week dd needed number 2 on plane and was literally screaming in pain, so i had to 'get' the stools out for her sad..all was ok after that, still been taking the liquid lax daily and making sure dd gets fibre and fluid etc.

Just had to bring dd home from school, luckily i was still there helping out when she needed to go and it was the same as on the plane, but this time there was blood, not sure if i may have scratched her trying to help or it was the stools?

Got appointment today but i need to know what other mums have done to help as they will just give her more laxatives im guessing.

She had a few slight anal fissures last time we went and more recently looked like she had a tear above but not connected to anus, but after applying e45 regulary this has also gone, i felt awful when gp pointed these out sad but seems they come hand in hand with constipation?..if anyone has any suggestions or home remidies i would really appreciate them.
TIA

Plenty of water whether that is just from drinking or eating high water content foods. Mobility, if my dd is 'lazy' for a day or two she suffers with painful poos. Apart from that, see what your GP advises. I think you were a bit daft to only give half the dose TBH.

Tidey Wed 09-Jun-10 10:52:04

Fibogel, prune juice, lactulose and all bran.

PinkChick Fri 11-Jun-10 09:28:21

HIya thanks for the suggestions.
GP gave dd movilat instead, dose 2-4 sachets a day, suggested 2 at first then up them, so she had 2 the first day and 3 yesterday and yesterday went to the toilet 'normally' but that is normal, the inability to go only happens every now and again, so will persist with sachets, gp said to remain on them for at least 4 weeks then go back.

Kreecherlivesupstairs - i only gave half as i didnt know how much it would effect her and didnt want her having an accident whilst at school, in retrospect i shuld have upped it at weekend at least.

Hopefully the new meds will help other wise its blood tests at next app sad..but have changerd lots of things in diet too ie: wholemeal bread/wraps/buns, only fresh juice in packed lunch(put in mix of fresh and cordial type), out go the bananas and now she has satsumas and mroe strawberries..she know now she needs to eat more of her veg at meal times and is doing very well bless her, but she does need to drink more whilst at school!..fingers crossed we dont have any problems again smile, thanks again smile

nightcat Fri 11-Jun-10 20:02:51

other tried and tested things you could do:
limit dairy & wheat intake (was advised by a nutritionist for my ds, best advice ever);
use flaxseeds - best ground like pepper, or you can use them whole, sprinkled on foods - the omega fats help to lubricate the insides and they also contain soluble fibre;
add cooked beetroot as a part of side salad, a slice or two - I think it's Mg in them that helps;
if you are giving vitamins, make sure she has B-complex (de-stresses tension)
use bath salts (Mg is a relaxant)

nightcat Fri 11-Jun-10 20:04:05

oh yes, if you are giving vitamins, don't overdo iron

Cornflake1 Fri 11-Jun-10 20:08:41

If you have a child who will drink nothing but milk but as a result gets constipated, try watering the milk down when they're not looking (my doctor told me to do this after I told him he would drink nothing else). I still water my son's milk down as he drinks so much of it and he is non the wiser. I wouldn't do this for babies mind due whose diet is completely milk-based, just toddlers and older children.

zapostrophe Fri 11-Jun-10 20:23:59

Cornflake - it's funny you mentioned watering down milk - I've just started doing this for my DS2, who is a milk addict but has been very constipated for a while (until the movicol started working).

nightcat Sat 12-Jun-10 19:00:04

watering down would make sense
apparently in cows milk there is too much calcium and not enough magnesium for human needs, that's one of the reasons for constipation.
With my ds, first we went dairy free for a few months (which made incredible difference), ever since then we only use small amounts of cheese or cows dairy and goats for very occasional chocolate drink. Gave up on cereal too, even gluten-free, went back to cooked breakfast.

sallyb2310 Tue 29-Jan-13 08:22:49

Hi I have just recently had hip replacement surgery and have not had a bowel movement for 7 days. I am just abut to embark on the 8 sachet faecal impaction method. Has anyone tried this? Comments and experiences welcome.

sallyb2310 Tue 29-Jan-13 08:25:01

Sorry the 8 sachet Movicol method.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now