Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

HELP - Nasty rose bush scratch right across 2 yr olds face. Will it scar??? I'm so worried.

(6 Posts)
waitingwaiting Mon 27-Jul-09 14:58:57

Calling on your wise experience…………

My daughter has scratched her face really badly on a rose bush, the scratch runs right across one side of her face, from her nose all the way to her ear, just missing her eye. Its looks really, really bad and I'm worried sick that it will scar. Do you know anyone who has ever experienced rose bush scratches like this??? Did it heal and go away??! Apart from Savlon what will help??..... Please tell me it won't scar. I feel rather sick right now :-( poor thing was so upset going to bed this afternoon as her face was hurting her on her pillow. From one upset mummy.

muffle Mon 27-Jul-09 15:04:36

I would think it probably won't scar, or if it does it will be very, very faint. I can hardly see my C-section scar and that was a lot more serious! The younger the child is, the less scarring and also it doesn't sound all that deep. Once it has healed, a product called bio-oil is meant to be good for avoiding scarring (check it's OK for children though - it probably is)

But also, a faint scar isn't the end of the world - I have never understood why people are so upset about scars. Many people have the odd childhood scar, it's normal. I have a fairly obvious, though small, one on my upper lip and no one has ever noticed it AFAIK. Don't worry.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 27-Jul-09 15:07:11

I also found that Johnson's body moisturiser in a tube is great for healing but having had a DD have a serious accident which resulted in a GA at the hospital, her scar is just a reminder of how lucky we are to still have her and for her to be able to see.

I do understand how you feel, but really, it isn't the end of the world and being small it will probably heal with no marks left.

Polgara2 Mon 27-Jul-09 15:29:57

When dd1 fell off her bike into a neighbours rose bush I covered her scratches (many - although not on her face I don't think but it was a good few years ago!)) with Zambouk antiseptic ointment and they healed wonderfully and she had no visible scars. Excellent stuff, whiffs a bit but it's worth it.

waitingwaiting Tue 28-Jul-09 10:08:25

Thank you so much for all your replies.... I feel a bit better today about it. It was such a shock seeing such a nasty deep scratch travelling right across my daughters face, fingers crossed it will go away okay. Thanks for the recommendations about creams, I'll certainly look into them all.
Guess there is more to worry about in life than scratches!! guess its just being a typical (and pregnant!) mummy!

midnightexpress Tue 28-Jul-09 10:12:14

My ds1 fell into a rose bush when he was 2ish and had a big old scratch on his face, similar to what you describe. It disappeared completely. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now