Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Odd orange stains on dd's sheets. She's 5, what could it be?

(50 Posts)
BooBooChicken Wed 22-Jul-09 17:20:55

it's not blood and i am really unsure as to where these marks are coming from. it has happened twice now in as many weeks. she is in good health generally.

i initially thought it might be from her bottom, but her pjs are not stained around the crotch or bum - the stains on the sheets are kind of all over and on the outside of her pjs, top and bottom.

i don't think its any kind of vaginal discharge for the same reason.

i asked her if she had been sick. she said no, and it doesn't smell of sick.

i can't figure which bodily secretion it is!!

all i know is that it will NOT come off her sheets, despite stain treatments and repeated washes. these stains are like those from a curry, just will not budge.

any ideas to this mystery?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 22-Jul-09 17:22:46

It's not pollen? Is she playing outside and getting pollen on her feet or something when is then getting rubbed around the bed??

PortBlacksandResident Wed 22-Jul-09 17:23:09

Nose bleed?

Secret stash of orange smarties??

random Wed 22-Jul-09 17:23:48

leaking felt tip pen?

imaginewittynamehere Wed 22-Jul-09 17:26:10

dye on pyjamas/ cuddly toy
taking odd tings to bed, flowers etc?

BooBooChicken Wed 22-Jul-09 17:26:11

hmm, not pollen, it's from a liquid that has spread but this stuff stains just like pollen...

she had a nosebleed recently and this is not the same, defo orange not red and more watery than bloody. tmi!

i thought maybe stashed sweets/juice but she says not, and is an open book regarding lying!

BooBooChicken Wed 22-Jul-09 17:27:12

aaah, dye on cuddly toy, perhaps....!

loving the suggestions btw. ta muchly!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 22-Jul-09 17:29:00

Earwax?

BooBooChicken Wed 22-Jul-09 17:35:46

hmmm, not ear wax, there's too much of it and it's not waxy looking.

but i had missed out ears when i was thinking of where it could be coming from!

BooBooChicken Wed 22-Jul-09 19:24:50

So..the stained sheet has been washed 3 times and dried and is going back on in case we have more of the same tonight. i don't want to ruin more sheets. it looks awful but i know it's clean!

have looked at it again. and it looks smudged and kind of like it has spread, definitely a liquid stain that has dried so i doubt now it was a soft toy dye.

any more thoughts?

Sickofbloodyswineflu Wed 22-Jul-09 19:26:11

Make up she has 'borrowed'?

BooBooChicken Wed 22-Jul-09 19:29:00

hmm, no, she's not into makeup and i own so little i would notice if it was gone!

Metatron Wed 22-Jul-09 19:31:16

fake tan?

purepurple Wed 22-Jul-09 19:32:01

secret stash of irn bru?
it is a bugger to wash out

BooBooChicken Wed 22-Jul-09 19:38:14

no and no.

but the idea of my 5 year old slapped in makeup, caked in fake tan, glugging irn bru and eating smarties after lightsout makes me giggle grin

allaboutme Wed 22-Jul-09 19:40:21

we had same on ds bed but turquoise so knew it wasnt bodily fluid!!
turned out to be felt pen that he had hidden between his mattress and the waterproof layer and leaked and spread as he sweated on top of it!!

BooBooChicken Wed 22-Jul-09 19:44:18

will investigate under the waterproof sheet.

exactly, allaboutme, if it was turquoise, i wouldn't be worrying, i would know it was not her unless she had turned martian!

bodiddly Wed 22-Jul-09 19:46:23

has she been eating/drinking something orange before bed time?

BooBooChicken Wed 22-Jul-09 19:48:31

nope, not that i know of. all food amd drink except water, kept to downstairs and she's not a sneaky beaky type to smuggle things up...

TsarChasm Wed 22-Jul-09 19:54:22

New mattress? Dye from the mattress coming through if she's hot and sweating at night?

zippy539 Wed 22-Jul-09 19:56:42

Another vote for felt pen/leaky marker here - especially given the 'liquid' spread and trouble washing it out.

Wolfcub Wed 22-Jul-09 19:57:43

what colour toothpaste does she use? If it's the pink stuff it could be toothpaste coloured drool.
Is is the mattress?

Beauregard Wed 22-Jul-09 19:59:37

We had the same mystery orange stains in dd1's bedroom and it turned out to be leaking battery acid.She had a portable cd player which was leaking onto her lego boxes and then being spread round the room.

Beauregard Wed 22-Jul-09 20:01:18

Went on for weeks btw.

GypsyMoth Wed 22-Jul-09 20:11:22

What colour are/were your sheets?

Could it be bleach? Or bleach type cleaner?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now