Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby with VERY blue hands and feet - anyone with experience?

(12 Posts)
nigglewiggle Wed 28-Jan-09 21:11:41

DD2 (9 months) suffers with what appears to be very poor circulation in hands and feet. I know babies' extremities are expected to be cold, but she can be warm, and still her hands and feet can be purple/blue.

We have visited the GP and on the second occasion - armed with photographs - she has referred us to a paediatrician.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. I would like to know about anything specific I should be asking of the paediatrician.

oneyummymummy Wed 28-Jan-09 21:31:34

strawberrycornetto Wed 28-Jan-09 21:46:23

Hi. My DS had this when he was younger after he had been sleeping and more recently when he had bronchiolitis (he's now 11 months). We saw the GP who listened to his heart but said not to worry unless his lips went blue (!). I know it can indicate circulation problems. My DS now seems to be suffering a lot with chest infections etc now and we are seeing a paediatrician tomorrow so if anything comes out of it I will let you know. I am going to mention the blue extremeties thing as I guess it may be relevant. I hope everything turns out to be ok with your DD.

nigglewiggle Wed 28-Jan-09 21:50:19

Thank you. I noticed it was worse recently when DD had a cold. GP listened to heart, checked pulses etc and was happy that all seemed fine. I'm glad to get the opportunity to check it thoroughly though and would be really grateful if you could let me know how you get on.

strawberrycornetto Wed 28-Jan-09 22:00:35

It does sound a bit similar then. I was a bit nervous of mentioning heart and worrying you but its good that your GP checked. The GP we saw put it down to poor circulation and being cold at the time even though he wasn't necessarily cold and it was June. grin My DS had special care for breathing problems when he was born so she thought that his heart would have been properly checked then.

nigglewiggle Wed 28-Jan-09 22:07:57

We've had no other heart/breathing problems with DD. Have (bravely) Googled heart conditions and not found anything that totally fits. I just like to know all of the possibilities before we take it further. I'm not prone to panic, and I'd rather know the facts to make sure I ask all the relevant questions.

I hope you get on ok also.

nigglewiggle Thu 29-Jan-09 09:07:55

Bumping incase there is anyone else out there who knows anything about this.

nigglewiggle Tue 03-Feb-09 20:20:18

Strawberry - How did you get on?

purplepinkys Thu 22-Dec-11 12:22:03

My nipper has got blue hands and feet 2, im taking her to docs this aft, shes also very cold when she shouldnt be, i wrap her up at bed time and put big wooly mitts on her but her hands and arms, feet and legs are always cold and blue in the morning. im thinking it might be a blood disorder that i have got coz i go blue when im cold due to lack of oxygen in my blood, i just got worried coz now its happening when shes warm and shes getting it in her face

CharlieBoo Thu 22-Dec-11 23:00:54

Hi, I thought I'd share my experience of this with dd who is now 2.7, but as a baby she suffered terribly with blue hands and feet. As soon as we hit cold weather she suffered. My drs did all the checks on her and said that he thought it was juvenile Raynauds (sp). She has gradually grown out of it, but interestingly she also suffered with chest problems and was given steroids a few times and had bronchilitis 3 times as a small baby. I hope you all get to the bottom of it.

ZuluWarrior Thu 22-Dec-11 23:16:35

No answers but watching with interest as I'm awaiting a paed referral for my DD (5 months) who has this. The referral is more for a murmur though. She often wakes with purple hands and when I feed at night I can feel her arms are stone cold to the elbows.

I remember DS having this but nowhere near as bad.

ZuluWarrior Thu 12-Jan-12 18:56:24

Just a quick update on my blue hands baby if anyone's still interested.

Saw the paediatrician today who was completely unconcerned. He said this was fairly common up to the age of 1 or 2 and that in the absence of blue tongue/ lips and any other worrying signs it was probably benign.

Hope your LOs are all doing ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now