Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Earache, given calpol, still screaming

(19 Posts)
pushchair Wed 19-Nov-08 21:07:30

Have only adult ibuprofen in the house. Can 4 yr old have half or quarter of a tablet? Refusing hot water bottle on ear.

girlandboy Wed 19-Nov-08 21:09:12

I'm sure that a 4 year old can only have special ibuprofen for children.

Can't you get to an all night chemist at all?

I wouldn't risk it.

mum2jakeyroo Wed 19-Nov-08 21:11:31

Not sure tbh but didn't want to go unanswered - saw thread title and was going to advise ibuprofen from much experience of childrens ear ache. Good luck. Do you not have a late night chemist near you?

onepieceoflollipop Wed 19-Nov-08 21:12:02

I would get it checked tbh, or at least ring NHS Direct for advice 0845 46 47.

Earache that doesn't even respond a tiny bit to calpol imo needs medical attention. I am not sure that ibuprofen would make a massive difference. Also you should not break any enteric coated tablets - often they are coated to protect your stomach lining from the active ingredient, or the coating helps them to stay intact until they get further down into your system.

pushchair Wed 19-Nov-08 21:14:23

No 24 chemist nearby. No car. Been meaning to get childrens ibuprofen for ages.
Aaaaargh.

wrinklytum Wed 19-Nov-08 21:14:50

I would see if you can get some childs ibuprofen.Most places stock it,our local (small) Sainsbos round the corner does.If you are on your own could you get a neighbour tocome round while you pop to shop?I sympathise,ear infections horrid in little uns.If still poorly would see GP in morning with regard to antibiotics.

girlandboy Wed 19-Nov-08 21:15:58

Found this but I would still ring NHS direct first. It's not worth making a mistake about.

louii Wed 19-Nov-08 21:16:38

www.nurofenforchildren.co.uk/products/nurofen-for-children-in-a-bottle.php

Looks ok to give a dose of 100mg to a four year old.

pushchair Wed 19-Nov-08 21:17:49

She slept for about 20 mins and then woke up screaming. Have had lots of experience of earache with DD1 and imo doctors can do nothing and are extremely reluctant to. I have sat in Drs surgery and had mini lecture from patronising Dr about internal workings of ear, after repeated severe earache.

puffling Wed 19-Nov-08 21:19:25

Get the amoxycillin tomorrow, whether the doc recommends it or not, and some Medised from the chemist.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 19-Nov-08 21:19:38

Poor little thing - hope she (and you) get a solution quickly.

girlandboy Wed 19-Nov-08 21:20:05

Last time ds had earache the gp said that he would only give antibiotics IF the eardrum was bulging, or the child had earache in both ears.

I'm afraid last time it happened, I fibbed a bit and told him that ds had it in both ears. He wasn't prepared to do anything otherwise.

noonki Wed 19-Nov-08 21:21:23

any neighbours to ask?

poor her (and you)

pushchair Wed 19-Nov-08 21:21:51

crying stopped. Wish me luck, fingers crossed. Thanks for all response. if get desperate will send DP to nearest known mother for ibuprofen.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 19-Nov-08 21:23:29

Why not send dp now, just in case. Better to go round to neighbour/other mother at 9.30pm then potentially later on tonight. (trying to be helpful rather than negative btw.)

pushchair Wed 19-Nov-08 21:28:43

yes yes your right. just sighing in the silence. shes dropping off to sleep now.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 19-Nov-08 21:30:19

sweet dreams to littlemisspushchair.

pushchair Wed 19-Nov-08 21:33:14

smile

anniemac Wed 19-Nov-08 22:10:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now