Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Oh arse (literally) dd is complaining of an itchy bottom... is it <whispers> worms?

(24 Posts)
moodlumthehoodlum Fri 19-Sep-08 18:50:11

Exactly what do I look for?

Is it obvious?

I think I'll boil wash everything I own.

She's 4 btw and started school a week ago.

blush

oldcrock Fri 19-Sep-08 19:07:40

Don't be embarrassed! Most get them...

Threadworms are about 1/2 cm long, creamy white and crawl out of the anus in the evenings to lay their eggs! This is what causes the itchiness.

You will need to wash all bedlinen, towels, bedclothes, clean bathroom and bedrooms. Treat the whole family with Ovex, available over the counter from pharmacy.

You have to be quite strict with the hygiene side of things as it's easy to re-catch them. Sympathies as we've just had them (again) <weary emoticon>

moodlumthehoodlum Fri 19-Sep-08 19:38:24

Thanks - I've had a peek and not seen anything yet, so will keep watching.

Oh God, I've just realised that this is what my Friday night now comes down to. Checking my daughter's bottom for worms. Another crazy night in with the hoodlums. Oh for the wild days of my youth wink

Blandmum Fri 19-Sep-08 19:38:52

The turd that waves back.....

YeSaltySlurDog Fri 19-Sep-08 19:40:32

lol mb!

COuld be but also could be something else like erm piles?

Okay worms most likely.

moodlumthehoodlum Fri 19-Sep-08 19:41:06

LOL

I wasn't going to have a glass of wine, but with an exciting bottom watching evening ahead I think I deserve it.

moodlumthehoodlum Fri 19-Sep-08 19:41:21

LOL

I wasn't going to have a glass of wine, but with an exciting bottom watching evening ahead I think I deserve it.

andyrobo237 Fri 19-Sep-08 19:50:03

If it is worms then it is quite obvious - only problem is you need to get right to the bum hole (so to speak) and if LO is anything like my DD it makes her fall about laughing! I usually look when she complains about itching as there is quite often one peering out!!!!! wink

maidamess Fri 19-Sep-08 19:53:04

Ive had them 4 times...how do you think I feel?

babblington Fri 19-Sep-08 19:55:03

am watching this with interest - exactly the same scenario, 4 years old, just started school, complaining of itchy bottom, still wears pull ups at night though (could this be part of it?) and no sign at all of worms - anything else it could be?

moodlumthehoodlum Fri 19-Sep-08 19:56:06

I've uncovered a can of worms here haven't I?

<falls on floor laughing at own joke>

I did an extensive search and destroy mission post bathtime and found none of the little buggers. Will wait and see

<stops laughing>

andyrobo237 Fri 19-Sep-08 19:56:47

maidamess - it is bad enough when the kids complain of an itchy bum, but an adult - who checks your bum for worms then grin wink

skyatnight Fri 19-Sep-08 20:08:55

I never managed to see any of them when I looked at dd's rear-end, only if she went in the potty and there they were waving in unison (bleuurghh!)

moodlumthehoodlum Fri 19-Sep-08 20:10:34

this all sounds hideous.

Rather than giving teenagers yummy newborns to put them off having babies, they should give them 4 yo with worms to deal with. And then watch the teen pregnancy rate fall dramatically.

TheNaughtiestGirlKeepsaSecret Fri 19-Sep-08 20:10:40

My dc1 keeps talking about a 'hot bottom'. I just ignored her really because it made no sense. This thread has me worried....!

bozette Fri 19-Sep-08 21:43:54

to catch the worms you can put a bit of sellotape over their bottom at night and the worms will get stuck when they come out

Elibean Fri 19-Sep-08 22:34:04

Really? shock Is sellotape sticky enough?!

I never saw any on dd's bottom when she had them, just spotted a couple in the toilet bowl after a loose poo one evening. I'd heard (on MN, where else) that they came flooding out after taking Ovex, but in dd's case I never saw one again - on her, in poo, or anywhere else hmm

I worm all of us every term now, just in case. Ugh.

fruitstick Sat 11-Oct-08 07:32:58

Sorry for reopening this thread but DS (2.5) also complaining of itchy bottom and shuffling like my dog used to! Can't see any worms though - should I treat him anyway? What else could it be?

Elibean Sat 11-Oct-08 20:14:00

yes, treat him - very likely!

Could be a touch of thrush or other fungal infection, or bacterial one, but if there's no redness or rash, I would vote for worms.

You could try looking at his bottom with a torch, at night, when he's been asleep for an hour or so - if you're brave wink

Schmauskin Mon 20-Oct-08 07:24:43

I have just found 2 pin worms in my 4 year old daughter's FRONT bottom. Never had to deal with this one before! Off to the doc in the morning.

LazyLinePainterJane Mon 20-Oct-08 08:19:47

It might just be that she hasn't wiped properly <hopes for you>

filz Mon 20-Oct-08 08:26:53

tbh you cant always see them. Each time my children have had them they have just complained of an itchy or sore bottom and only after the OVEX treatment have the worms made an appearance <yuk> I think if in doubt and especially at that age, they most probably have them so treat

mummyof5boys Tue 19-Jan-16 21:00:39

Hi I'm 1st time poster , my lo 4yr old boy has complained for a few days now of very itchy bottom worse at night , after reading this I've just checked his bump and found 2 bloody wiggling worms 😢😢 I am not impressed, do I need docs appointment or can I get meds over the counter ??

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 19-Jan-16 21:19:18

This is an old thread, but advice hasn't changed!

You can buy something like Ovex from the chemist so no need to go to doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now