Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler has mouth ulcers, hasn't eaten anything for 5 days. Please help!

(11 Posts)
Lotzie Tue 12-Aug-08 19:26:57

Hi

My toddler picked up a viral infection which has caused lots of ulcers to develop in her mouth, throat and cole sores on her lips. As a result she hasn't eaten anything for the last 5 days and counting. She will have a little bit of milk in the mornings and evenings, but that is all. I've been to A&E twice with her and all they said was to perservere with paracetemol and a mouth spray called difflam. Unfortunately she gets histerical whenever we want to put the difflam in her mouth. It is so hard to see her going through this and her mouth doesn't seem to be getting better. I don't know how long I should leave it before taking her back yet again. If anyone out there has had a similar experience or can give advice that would be much appreciated!

LIZS Tue 12-Aug-08 19:35:54

Sounds like hand foot and mouth but she may simply nto have an appetite from the virus anyway. Can you try cold things like yoghurt and ice cream ? Perhaps with a fruit puree ?

Lotzie Tue 12-Aug-08 20:32:13

I have tried everything, all her favourite foods including yogurt and ice cream. She takes one small bite and then just refuses it as it seems to hurt her mouth. Tonight I gave her some pureed pumpkin which she was keen to try, but then the same thing, the minute she took a bite she cringed of the pain. I just hope she won't develop a food anxiety as a result.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 12-Aug-08 20:38:58

It could be her first herpes infection. I would concentrate on fluids and not really worry too much about eating, just try a bit every now and then as you are.

If it's hand foot and mouth, or the first herpes infection it should start to get better soon.

waht about milkshakes through a straw? then it won't touch her mouth so much

MaureenMLove Tue 12-Aug-08 20:52:24

DD had exactly the same when she was about 4. Its a long time ago now, she's 12, but I do remember it was almost a week before she had a proper meal. I think I just let her eat whatever she wanted. It was mainly runny things, like yoghurt and milkshakes, but since she was a good eater anyway, I wasn't too worried.

Poor little thing, was bridesmaid for her uncle at the end of that week and she looked so pale and drawn, standing at the alter, I thought she was going to collapse.

Lotzie Tue 12-Aug-08 22:56:51

Thank you all for your responses so far!

AtheneNoctua Tue 12-Aug-08 23:05:06

I get mouth ulcers, and I can confirm the cold milk is one of the few things that does not hurt. Milkshake through a straw is a good idea. Also, try something high in sugar but not acidic. Deffo NOT orange juice! If I eat a hard sugar candy my mouth feels better (not sure why, maybe something to do with PH??). Also my mouth feels better just after brushing my teeth, but this might not work so well with a toddler.

You could also give her some nurofen. That helps a bit. Try giving her the pain medicine 30 min before you want her to eat.

I wouldn't worry about proper foods so long as she gets liquid. So if cold milk is all she wants I'd probably be happy with that.

This happened to me when I was 15. I had mouth ulcers all over my mouth and it was sheer agony. Can't even imagine what it would be like as a toddler. Poor thing. sad

charleymouse Tue 12-Aug-08 23:18:09

DD had something similar when she was younger and wanted to BF but everytime she latched she started to cry it was heartbreaking. She had some medicine from the GP that helped clear it up. I am sorry I can not remember what it was called but maybe try your GP or pharmacist if not then possibly bonjela may give some relief

Lotzie Wed 13-Aug-08 11:09:48

Thanks again for the advice. I think we had a bit of a breakthrough this morning as she finally decided that she would like an ice lollie. She even asked for more after that! I am sooooooooo relieved. The milkshake through a straw has also been of interest to her. Not much but at least it's some more fluids. I feel so much better today so hopefully after 6 days of agony we're at a turning point.

LIZS Wed 13-Aug-08 13:05:32

Sodusn promising , if she;'ll take a milkshake you could try a smoothie with fruit to at least give different vitamins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now