Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby's first cold

(9 Posts)
RLG87 Mon 28-Nov-16 12:58:36

My 8 week old little girl is currently 4 days into her first cold. She is very bunged up and very uncomfortable and unsurprisingly very grouchy. The NHS website says it is likely to last about 10 days. In people's experience will she be feeling this miserable for the whole 10 days, or can I hope she will start to pick up in the next day or two? It's horrid seeing her struggling so much when she's still so little!

hanban89 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:37:41

Awe I feel for you. There's nothing worse than there first few colds. I would hope that she would pick up over the next couple days. What have you been using to help with her symptoms?

RLG87 Tue 29-Nov-16 03:19:51

We made the bathroom steamy and took her in to try and loosen things up. And then just trying to help her stay upright. She's just thrown up her night feed poor thing.

MinnowAndTheBear Tue 29-Nov-16 03:55:55

Put baby vapour rub on the soles of her feet. Works a treat!
I would expect that after about a week her symptoms will ease off but she might not be back to her usual self until around the ten day mark.

lightcola Tue 29-Nov-16 04:53:00

I found a little snuffle babe on a muslin cloth near the bed helped with a blocked nose.

purplefizz26 Tue 29-Nov-16 05:39:50

Snufflebabe
Olbas oil for children
Saline Nasal spray
Calpol if much warmer than usual, or appears to be in pain (achy) as colds sometimes bring very mild flu symptoms

hanban89 Tue 29-Nov-16 11:06:31

Yep the saline spray up the nose is very good for helping to clear it out. Bowl of steamy water with a drop of olbas in room, Vicks on the soles of her feet, and propping her cot up with some books is also a good idea. She is also old enough now for a dose of calpol to control fever and aches etc. All this together might help you get a better night. Hope she is better soon.

RLG87 Tue 29-Nov-16 14:00:23

Thanks - I will pop down to the pharmacy and see what they have. She sounds to me less blocked up today, but is crying more and more unsettled - any idea why she might suddenly be more unhappy?

hanban89 Tue 29-Nov-16 15:32:05

She could just be a bit extra tired from having a bug. No way of knowing at that age. Just keep a close eye on her, and make sure she's still taking her feeds. If she develops a temp and your worried take her to the GP. Things to look out for is ear infection. The GP always told me they might be a bit off feeding but as long as they have the same wet nappies they aren't concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now