Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 year old diagnosed with Leukaemia

(15 Posts)
fighterofthefoos Thu 24-Nov-16 06:11:33

Went to hospital yesterday expecting her to be treated for some sort of infection and got told she has Leukaemia.
My whole world has just stopped. I feel so guilty for sending her to school these past few weeks when she's been so tired, I just put it down to her not being used to the long days.
She's going for a bone marrow biopsy today and then will be starting chemotherapy.
I just can't believe this is happening to my little girl, I'm so scared and unsure as to what to expect.
I don't know why I'm writing this but it feels better to just get it all out

solittletime Thu 24-Nov-16 06:13:45

I'm so sorry. I don't have anything to say that can be of any use to you. But didn't want to leave this unanswered. Just take one step at a time.
Lots of love to your dd from an unknown stranger.xxxxx

taxworries Thu 24-Nov-16 06:18:48

That must have been a terrible shock. The doctors know exactly what they are doing and will provide the best course of treatment for your little girl. My nephew was diagnosed extremely late and is a big strapping lad now. I remember my sibling got a lot of comfort from the other parents on the oncology ward whose children are going through the same thing. Please don't feel hard on yourself, little children are often tired and have bruises so it's hard to tell there is something wrong. Big hugs.

Ilovenannyplum Thu 24-Nov-16 06:37:12

I'm so sorry fighter, sending you and your DD lots of virtual love flowers

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 24-Nov-16 06:39:38

Very sorry to hear this, such a shock.
The treatment for the usual "childhood" leukaemia (ALL) is pretty effective these days though - is this what your DD has?

thanks for you - it's a horrible time for you all

Labtest7 Thu 24-Nov-16 22:23:50

Hi Fighter, my daughter was also diagnosed with leukaemia (ALL)at 4. It was a huge shock, as her only symptom was a sore leg that had begun that day. She was treated at the RVI in Newcastle and finished just over 3 years ago. It took a few months but we did come to terms with the diagnosis and manage to live a near normally life while she was on treatment, she was able to start school, go swimming, join Rainbows etc

I remember so well the utter shock and devastation at her diagnosis but children with ALL have a very good prognosis, as do a lot of children with AML.

DearMrDilkington Thu 24-Nov-16 22:36:01

I'm so sorryflowers.

hanban89 Thu 24-Nov-16 22:37:01

I am so so sorry. I don't have any experience with anything like this but just wanted to send you my positive thoughts. You will surprise yourself with how strong you can be to get through this. My thoughts are with you and your DD.

DearMrDilkington Thu 24-Nov-16 22:38:51

Make sure you look after yourself as well as your dd. Get some helpline numbers saved on your phone so you always have them if you need someone to talk.

taxworries Thu 24-Nov-16 22:52:26

How hasn't today been fighter? How is your little girl?

Mistletoekids Fri 25-Nov-16 21:57:43

I'm so sorry. flowers

QOD Fri 25-Nov-16 21:59:07

Sorry 💐 for you and 🍫 for her

Jemimapuddleduk Mon 28-Nov-16 07:39:40

So sorry to hear this. How is your dd coping with the chemo. Sending you lots of strength. My ds was diagnosed with AML in January at 16 months, he is doing very well now and is in remission. Make sure you look after yourself too and accept any help offered by family and friends. You should be allocated a Macmillan nurse and a Clic Sargent social worker who will be able to help with practical things like accommodation whilst dd is in hospital, sorting leave from work, grants to help with fuel and food costs etc. You are welcome to pm me if I can help or support you at all. X

LizzieBennet42 Thu 01-Dec-16 16:16:03

Sending you all good wishes Fighter. We were in exactly the same place 2 years ago when 11year old DS was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma almost out of the blue. Just give yourself time and let the hospital take the lead until you get your head around it. Take in what you can and gradually a way of being will emerge. Clic Sargent are really helpful and can give much needed help and support. Also just ask questions of the staff, they won't have all the answers but they will be answer what they can.
Sending you all much strength and every good wish.

miwelaisjacydo Mon 05-Dec-16 20:41:34

Am so sorry 💐. 5 years and 6 months ago a little boy close to me was diagnosed with ALL. He finished treatment and is doing really well now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now