Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler Temperature rising after Calpol

(15 Posts)
onedayimightforget Wed 23-Nov-16 19:56:22

DD1 is 2.10. She had pneumonia about 6 weeks ago. Nursery phones not long before she was due to be picked up to say she had a rash and a temp of 38 and asked if they could give Calpol, DH said yes. When I collected her up she was very upset and the rash was still there. She perked up a bit when she came home and the rash has gone but we took her temperature again before bed (about 2 hours after the dose of Calpol) and it was 39. She's asked to go to bed (something she never does) so we've put her to bed as normal but will continue to check her temperature.

Should we be concerned that her temperature is rising even with the Calpol?

GizmoFrisby Wed 23-Nov-16 20:00:42

Yes you need to ring 101

GizmoFrisby Wed 23-Nov-16 20:03:05

Sorry not 101, NHS out of hours. It can be dangerous and sign of infection etc if calpol isn't working.

TeaBelle Wed 23-Nov-16 20:03:50

Yes - definitely get advice tonight

Verticalvenetianblinds Wed 23-Nov-16 20:05:56

111 smile

Schmoochypoos Wed 23-Nov-16 20:07:30

Id phone 111 OP.

Madlizzy Wed 23-Nov-16 20:09:27

Try her with iboprufen too, which can be more effective. You can alternate iboprufen and paracetamol 3 hourly up to the daily maximum doses.

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Wed 23-Nov-16 20:20:06

Give her ibuprofen, I find it works much better than calpol for my dc's temperatures for some reason.

MooPointCowsOpinion Wed 23-Nov-16 20:26:35

It could be the two different thermometers, hardly any chance of them both reading the same. I'd keep an eye on her and measure her temp every half hour or so. But then my nearly 2yo gets a lot of chest infections and temperatures so I've got a bit relaxed over the past 18 months about these things.

If she goes over 40, call NHS direct for advice, but she's sleeping now and it's probably the best thing for her so I'd monitor and wait.

onedayimightforget Wed 23-Nov-16 21:54:50

DH is taking her to A&E (I'm staying at home with DD2). Her temperature is staying around 39 and her respiratory rate whilst sleeping was 55. I borrowed a saturation monitor from my friend and her saturation is 90/91 (at 92 they have always previously given oxygen). I hate this so much. She is terrified of hospitals and she was upset when they were leaving. I know it's the best place for her, especially if she does have an infection and especially so soon after having pneumonia but it's really, really shit.

shewolfmum Wed 23-Nov-16 22:20:01

Can you get some liposomal or another vit c and dose her to bowel tolerance. Have a read up of the protocol. Sounds horrid for you.

Friendinneed2016 Thu 24-Nov-16 17:00:44

How is she? Did she end up staying in?

onedayimightforget Thu 24-Nov-16 20:07:39

She was admitted last night but our local hospital didn't have a bed for her so she was transferred to a hospital 30 miles away. She has a chest infection but fortunately it seems like we caught out early and she only needed a little bit of oxygen in the night and they started her on IV antibiotics immediately. She has been discharged and is now home. Thank you for checking back.

shewolfmum Thu 24-Nov-16 23:03:12

Oneday...i am pleased she is ok and sorry to bang on about it but high dose vit c is quite incredible and could help earlier next time...just an idea. Liposomal we find best...

Friendinneed2016 Sat 26-Nov-16 10:41:33

Sorry to hear she had to stay in, but glad she's ready recivering well. It's amazing how well the bounce back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now