Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Reaction from Flu Spray

(11 Posts)
Summerisntcoming Fri 18-Nov-16 15:17:20

DD has to have the flu spray later, she is 4 and considered high risk due to her previous medical history.
Has anyone's child got ill after the spray and if so how quickly after the spray did they get poorly and what were the symptoms?

CaesiumTime Fri 18-Nov-16 17:05:04

She doesn't have to have the flu spray - you can refuse.

What do you mean "high risk"? There is a list of illnesses that mean that the flu spray is medically contraindicated - please check it to see if she should be excluded.

AnotherTimeMaybe Fri 18-Nov-16 18:36:53

Yeah we go very ill for around a week if I remember correctly, he had fever of 40! I did it when he was 2,5 about 2 years ago and never did it again after that

sourgrapes28 Fri 18-Nov-16 18:42:34

My ds had his this morning and seems to be fine so far.

Summerisntcoming Fri 18-Nov-16 20:19:56

It was her respiratory consultant who wanted it done so I do trust his decision ( I hope 😃) It was more that she has done so well recently I was worried about her getting ill from it. And wondered how common it was for them to get ill..

lougle Fri 18-Nov-16 20:33:14

My DD3 had it last week. No side effects whatsoever. It really isn't a given that she'll be affected by it in anyway, and if she's high risk it will be a good thing to have her protected. I'm waiting for a slot to open up for my DD1 to have it (she's almost 11 but high risk due to her SN).

SamPotatoes Fri 18-Nov-16 20:33:34

My big two have had the flu spray with no ill effects. They are both wheezy children and #2 ends up in a&e every time she gets a cold. The last time she was admitted was a couple of sneezes at 8am to blue lights to hospital by 2am. I'd rather take my chances with the spray than risk full blown flu.

treaclesoda Fri 18-Nov-16 20:35:37

Mine have both had it for the past few years (maybe five years for the eldest?) and haven't had any side effects at all.

SamPotatoes Fri 18-Nov-16 20:37:45

Do understand your fear of disrupting the run of good health though. I have a nervous twitch whenever dd complains of a sore throat or sneezes. I figure that the spray reduces the risk of sonething bad overall.

PlugUgly1980 Fri 18-Nov-16 20:39:47

My LG is 2 and under the care of a respiratory consultant. She's on high doses of steroids due to asthma, and her consultant wanted her to have the flu vaccine, but specifically said not to have the nasal spray (as it can cause wheezing) but to have the injection instead. It was the same last year too, and no side effects from it. If in doubt, double check, she had it done by the practice nurse at our surgery, and despite us saying specifically what the consultant had said about not having the nasal spray they still tried to offer it, and I had to stand my ground to make sure they gave her the injection.

Lake2 Sat 19-Nov-16 08:50:56

No side effects at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now