Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS has had a brace fitted and is loosing weight

(16 Posts)
balia Mon 14-Nov-16 20:43:42

DS is 9 and has had a brace fitted on his top and bottom teeth. We were unsure about it because he is so young but the dentist said he has all his adult teeth and that it was better to get it done now while he's young. I agree in some ways as I've seen older children become cripplingly self-conscious when they have braces fitted.

The first few days were a nightmare but he was very brave about it and he has tried his best with keeping his teeth clean etc. BUT it is taking him forever to eat and he has lost 3lb's since it went in. He was a prem baby and he's still a dot and really doesn't have it to lose.

Should I keep going and try him with maybe some calorie-rich milkshakes to keep his weight up, or just get them to take it off?

balia Mon 14-Nov-16 21:02:24

FGS! Where did the extra 'o' in the title come from? Honestly, I can spell.

Penfold007 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:21:05

I've been through this with DS, we found that him taking ibuprofen regularly for a couple of days after each trip to the orthodontist made a huge difference. I also made sure meals were on the soft side for a couple of days, spag bol, cottage pie, fish pie etc seemed to hit the spot. Would that work for your DS?

AuntieStella Mon 14-Nov-16 21:25:07

How long since it was fitted?

After a couple of weeks, my DC was eating most things again.

Just keep going. Don't get in special food. Stick to things like soup, custard (not together!) mash and gravy, or other soft comfort foods. Use the wax. Supply appropriate painkillers. Hang on in there for a few more days.

PrincessHairyMclary Mon 14-Nov-16 21:32:31

I had a brace from a similar age, they hurt and cut your mouth to bits BUT so worth it in the end.

I wouldn't move on to sugar rich energy food to keeps his weight up, go for protein and soft good fat stuff like peanut butter and avocados. Add seeds or even better ground flax seed to food you can't taste it, high in calories but also various minerals/vitamins etc and it won't get stuck in the brace.

I found blowing out my cheeks (like a puffa fish) helped massively as it pushes cheeks etc away from the metal parts. Stock up on bonjela and calpol and avoid oranges and acidic things whilst his mouths sore

Meadows76 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:35:27

3lbs is nothing. Do you normally obsess over his weight like that?

balia Mon 14-Nov-16 23:34:11

It's been nearly a month, but he did have to go back when one of the wires came loose and I think they tightened it at the same time. We did the calpol, soft foods, using wax etc at first and it does seem to have settled down as he's got used to it. It's not that he's not eating regular food again, it's just taking him forever to eat it. I think he's then kind of getting bored and leaving it, and at school he runs out of time. (I've mentioned it to his teacher). I only know about the 3lbs because he likes playing on the WiiFit and it measures weight. I happened to see it when he was on it this weekend. But you can see he has lost weight - and normally growing kids gain weight fairly steadily, don't they?

Great idea about the flax, though, I've got some in the cupboard.

Meadows76 Mon 14-Nov-16 23:45:10

Sorry about my above comment. I was being a dick.

7SunshineSeven7 Mon 14-Nov-16 23:51:31

Okay things I learned from my brace (4 years!!)

-Take paracetamol BEFORE the appointment.
-Soup is amazing.
-Sucking wotsits its a good way to eat them.
-Asking the orthodontist about how tight they are doing them. I had to have mine loosened as they were way too tight, eventually one of the anchors popped off of my tooth!
-The wax doesn't really do much, the wires at the back should be cut enough so they don't poke. Also if you eat the wax its not too bad - I have swallowed packets of the stuff all together.

Its probably that the orthodontist just needs to make an adjustment and move it back down for now, if he's had them on for 4 weeks he should be going back in 2? If they're still hurting then go to the appointment but explain the problems and as to move down rather than tightening them again. Hope he feels better soon.

Longdistance Tue 15-Nov-16 00:04:09

I had a brace in my teens and the weight dropped off.

It bloody bloody bloody hurts to have them tightened, and I'd have soft foods for up to nearly a week, as my gums, and inside my mouth were so sore.

Bil was having a right go at dn about not eating, and I stuck up for him as it's soooo uncomfortable.

But, yes worth it in the end.

Penfold007 Tue 15-Nov-16 08:00:23

With DS Calpol didn't really help it had to be Nurofen but I appreciate not everyone can take ibuprofen. Eating did take longer and certain foods never worked. His next appointment must be almost due, talk to the orthodontist.

balia Tue 15-Nov-16 20:47:31

Next apt is about 3 weeks - 7sunshine that's exactly what happened, one of the anchors popped off and the wire came loose. I can actually see that his front teeth have moved closer together so it is working. Will make sure he has painkillers before the apt and he loves soup so I'll make some up ready! He caught the inside of his cheek in it today, bless him. DH is taking him to the apt so I'll prime him to ask about loosening it. DS doesn't like peanut better or avocados - anything else that is similar?

7SunshineSeven7 Tue 15-Nov-16 23:21:04

Did you call as soon as the bracket came off? I did and they booked me in for three days later to have it fixed immediately. Ill fitting braces or broken ones can cause more damage than good. I'm guessing the wire at the back is the problem? Tell him to feel around with his tongue and ask the orthodontist to cut it short if needs be, they usually can, mine did to the point I couldn't feel it unless I stuck my tongue at them on purpose.

Hope the appointment goes well flowers

PilkoPumpPants Tue 15-Nov-16 23:27:32

A children's bonjela will help with the metal rubbing, I got sooo many ulcers when I had braces and bonjela was a life saver.

It's absolutely crap having braces but dont get them taken off. It will be so much worse in a few years to get them on again as he will know what's coming and obviously the teeth would have moved more so they'll be on even longer.

I really hope he gets used to them soon, braces are absolutely horrible, especially so young.sad

Cranb0rne Sun 27-Nov-16 05:30:18

This has brought back the pain! I had them in my 20s for 4 long years. After they'd been tightened all I could eat that day was ice cream until the pain had abated. I regret not getting them done when I was a kid but I was so terrified of the dentist I refused to have teeth pulled out!

Sptownmama Sun 27-Nov-16 06:16:17

All I can advise is use the wax on them and take regular painkillers. DD had hers 18 months and she always struggled with the tightening right up to the end. But wax and painkillers helped a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now