Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My kid ate a plastic gem and it still hasn't come out..should I be worried?!

(10 Posts)
2374eleanor Fri 11-Nov-16 16:40:30

Hello. I'm posting because my 3 year old swallowed a plastic gem (quite big with sticky adhesive on) last Saturday. We've been on poo watch since then and it definitely hasn't emerged. I would have hoped to see it by now and I feel my anxiety level rising each time there is a no show. Initially I was cool with it, I mean kids swallow stuff all the time right..it just feels worrying that it's taking so long. I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience? I've heard (via google) that it's possible for foreign obects to get lodged in the esophagus and the kid be asymptomatic and also that because it's a plastic gem it wouldn't nec show up on an Xray. Feel a bit freaked out! Thanks for any shared experiences/ advise.

IamNotDarling Fri 11-Nov-16 16:41:50

Call 101 for advice.

Pinkhousealreadyinuse Fri 11-Nov-16 16:42:01

Yes, go to A&E today, it can become very serious. Go!

BratFarrarsPony Fri 11-Nov-16 16:42:16

How big is big?
How can you be sure it hasnt passed through...?
I mean unless you actually sieved his poo, I do not see how you could be certain.
Kids eat and pass all kinds of things...I think the only time to be worried is if they have swallowed eg a nail.

Star21 Fri 11-Nov-16 16:46:00

I swallowed a Lego brick at 5 years old, we never saw it emerge from the other end! That was 40 years ago.

BratFarrarsPony Fri 11-Nov-16 16:47:19

I once ate all of my mothers 'baking beans' (dried flat white beans) and they all passed through...

microsnake Fri 11-Nov-16 16:50:07

My son swallowed a gem from an Indiana Jones lego set we never found it by we didn't really look !

Lake2 Sun 13-Nov-16 11:23:16

How do you know, have you been literally squishing up poo? I wouldn't worry about it to be honest, I'm sure kids do things like that all the time without their parents noticing. Call 111 for advice if worried

Ilovenannyplum Sun 13-Nov-16 12:58:19

Worryingly interested to know how you know it's definitely not passed?

Agree with calling 111 to get some advice though

Toomanykittens Sun 13-Nov-16 13:14:26

My DS swallowed two small magnets once. He had to be X-rayed to check that they were stuck together and then again to see that they were moving down the digestive track. I was worried sick about the whole thing and checked his poos religiously (boak). It took 5 weeks for them to pass through!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now