Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has your DC's tongue tie affected their speech?

(2 Posts)
panad317 Thu 10-Nov-16 09:23:16

DS, only a month old, has a tongue tie. As he's AF an operation is not needed now. The health visitor said he might need an operation if it affects his speech when he's older (5/6years old)

How has a tongue tie affected your DC?

Crystalline Thu 10-Nov-16 09:32:45

No real impact at all apart from breast-feeding. I am tongue-tied as is my dad, brother and various children in the family. We're all fine! I can't roll my R's, but that's not had a detrimental effect on my life. I know in some cases it can be more severe.

With my dd's I had one tongue-tie snipped as a baby (not 100% successful), and the other not (didn't know about it then). Based on my experience I would wait and see, with the knowledge that everything is usually OK. I found the 'snipping' to be very distressing, and came to regret it. But I know that other people have had significantly different experiences, and equally as valid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now