Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wound - steri strips

(5 Posts)
PercyPeanuts Thu 03-Nov-16 21:16:38

I know this is a very minor problem in the scheme of things but... My 5 year old had an accident a week ago resulting in a deep cut to her chin. It was all patched up at A&E who opted for steri strips rather than stitches to try and minimise the scarring...

A week later, so far so good. The wound is healing and most of the steri strips have come off.

Unfortunately, someone who was looking after my daughter today - and only trying to be helpful I know - re-applied a steri strip but straight across the healing wound rather than horizontally... Because of the adhesive I was going to leave it until the morning and soak it off with warm water. Unfortunately my husband came home, and peeled it straight off without soaking it first. Inevitably this has pulled off the scab that was starting to form and caused the wound to bleed a little again.

I've put some more steri strips on - correctly - but I'm really concerned that we've set back the healing and very likely increased the severity of the scarring...

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

ellie333 Thu 03-Nov-16 22:36:26

Id be thinking the same.. My son slit his chin falling when he was two and still has a line scar and hes now 5. By pulling the scab off it probably will scar more, but as she grows her skin wil also stretch which will make it less visable so try not to worry too much x

Olympiathequeen Fri 04-Nov-16 10:26:15

What on earth possessed them! You've done what you can. After 7 days most of the healing has taken place anyway so I wouldn't worry too much, but please tell people to leave your child alone!

PercyPeanuts Fri 04-Nov-16 23:33:33

Thank you and yes we will just have to wait and see. I do know that even if there is a scar it is far from the end of the world. I was keen to give it the best chance however! Sadly others were, entirely inadvertently I know, conspiring against this yesterday...

TheFirie Sat 05-Nov-16 02:15:16

Actually, a scab slows the healing process. So it is not a big deal, if something it might actually speed up things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now