Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

constant coughing

(6 Posts)
doyouseeme1 Sun 30-Oct-16 06:12:35

My ds (16mo) has had a cough for about a week or so, it wasn't bad just the odd cough every hour but today he's woke up and is coughing so much. I've timed how many times he has coughed in five minutes twice, first time was 13 and the second time it was 16. I timed again another 5 minutes, nothing for the first four then 8 times in a minute. He has no temperature, he is well in himself but is just constantly coughing. It sounds quite dry and sore. I'm normally a quite laid back parent and the fact he is fine in himself probably means he's okay but I'm just not sure about this one, any advice? Should i go to a walk in centre or not? What can I do to help him?

rubberballcomebouncingbacktome Sun 30-Oct-16 09:33:57

Phone 111 for advice, but trust yourself too - if you are concerned then take him to be seen.

Take his top off and see if he is having to work hard with his breathing as well as the cough. Signs of this are belly breathing & pulling in at each breath, this can be visible at the neck too and if his nostrils are flaring.

If he just has a cough he is probably ok, it is when the cough is causing them to have to work hard at their breathing that they may need to be seen. Impossible to tell over the internet but you will know.

You can also time his breathing per minute to see if he is breathing fast.

doyouseeme1 Sun 30-Oct-16 14:19:06

I checked to see if he was working hard to breathe but all was fine. As time went on his cough seemed to happen less, I popped him down for a nap where he was coughing in his sleep then he woke up and the cough was back bad again so I'm not really sure why

MintChocAddict Wed 02-Nov-16 00:25:31

Enlarged adenoids? This was main syptom my DS had. Eventually after numerous GP appointments got referred to ENT and that's what it turned out to be.

shewolfmum Thu 03-Nov-16 23:39:01

Half cut onion in the room at night helps us...odd i know..m

llangennith Thu 03-Nov-16 23:54:38

Asthma

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now