Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Unwell 4 year old

(11 Posts)
LONC2012 Sat 29-Oct-16 14:09:12

Hi all,
My 4 YO DS woke up this morning and he felt very warm, his temp was 37.7 I brought him downstairs he said his legs hurt a bit and his tummy hurt. I gave him some calpol and he laid for a while and then got up to play, he was sick but very little amount as he hadn't ate it drank anything since getting up. He was laid on the floor playing and then had 2 crackers and a few sips of juice. He went outside with my DP and when he came back in he started to go back down hill. He was just laying on me - talking away but just laying. He kept saying he was cold so I put him on the sofa with a blanket and his temp was 38.

He won't let me take his blanket away as he said he is cold. He is now sleeping but I'm wondering if I should seek further medical advice? I can't seem to pin point what the problem is.

I hate seeing them so poorly, my baby 14 months had a febrile seizure the other day because he got too hot and now I'm over anxious about my other DS.

Any advice would be great!

togetherlikeglue Sat 29-Oct-16 14:36:15

Didn't want to read and run. I'm not a doctor. If he was mine I'd be giving calpol regularly (every 6 hours means you won't give too much in a 24hr period), plus give calprofen too in between if the calpol doesn't keep his temp down to below 38. Encourage him to sip water. Talk to 111 if his temp cannot be controlled or there are other symptoms that bother you. I can understand your worry having seen febrile convulsions in the little one, but what you describe so far doesn't sound too worrying. Hope he picks up soon X

Fairybells Sat 29-Oct-16 14:40:43

If you are worried then it's best to check with doctors, in our surgery you can get in even if you ring late if they think it's emergency so you could try your GP. Otherwise as the other poster said ring 111. I always think better be safe than sorry, go with your gut feeling.

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Sat 29-Oct-16 20:47:09

It's now known that it's the speed the temperature goes up by rather than being too hot that causes a febrile convulsion although of course it is scary.

A temperature of 37.7 isn't actually that high, in hospital we wouldn't class it as a high temperature until it reaches 38. If he's uncomfortable then I would give paracetamol and nurofen, make sure he's drinking and if he's sleepy make sure he's rousable. It sounds like a virus but if you're worried phone 111 for advice.

LONC2012 Sun 30-Oct-16 02:18:56

Thanks for all your replies, his temp shot up to 39.5 so took him to OOH and they checked him over but couldn't find anything so think it's a virus. He picked up a lot before bed, had some tea etc but it's now 2am and he is 38.1, says he has a head ache which is probably the lack of fluid he has had today and he keeps gulping so im ready with the bucket as I suspect sick any time!

togetherlikeglue Mon 31-Oct-16 17:37:02

How is he doing today? I hope things are improving as its so tiring for you both!
My two frequently had viruses that made their temp spike every few hours for as many as 3 or 4 days. If you do the regular dosing you might avoid the spikes.

LONC2012 Mon 31-Oct-16 20:05:08

His temp has stayed down today - didn't send him to school as he was hot through the night. He has also barely ate since Friday. He has picked at some things but just won't eat. Hopefully a good nights sleep and he will be back to himself in the morning! I am feeling so drained, kicked DP out the past 2 nights to have little man in with me and he has to sleep touching me haha. Looking forward to catching up on some sleep! Thanks for the concern smile xx

shewolfmum Mon 31-Oct-16 22:27:28

Excellent to sleep with him if he has temp your body can help to regulate his temp if skin to skin. Nhs advice is not to treat a fever so i would let it run it's course and let the body do what it needs to.

LONC2012 Tue 08-Nov-16 23:02:23

Well his temp is back! Started again last night, said he had a headache however he had drank very little at school!, was complaining of being cold and tired. Was in bed at 7 (half an hour early) at his request and awake at 10:30 with a temp of 38.4. I gave him ibruprofen and put him in bed with me and after a few coughing episodes he slept it off. No temp this morning and went to school fine. However he didn't even come downstairs after his shower tonight he fell asleep while I was putting his younger brother to bed.i came up to bed at 9 and his temp was up to 38.3 again. He is in my bed now - refused calpol/ibruprofen and is fast asleep. Do you think it's the same sort of thing - viral? He is coughing quite a bit and it sounds dead chesty but definitely worse around bedtime. One of those where if I took him to GP tomorrow morning it would be completely different and sound clear!
Just wish I could make him better!

Fairybells Thu 10-Nov-16 13:42:20

Poor little one, how is he now? What did the doctor say? Sounds like he's fighting an infection or something.

Roastie1986 Sat 19-Nov-16 22:54:11

My son is gping through exactly the same. Shivering but has temp 😢

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now