Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vitamin D drops suitable for 7 week old?

(9 Posts)
kivvi Fri 28-Oct-16 19:45:47

The NHS advises that BF babies get vitamin d supplements from birth. (My health visitor didn't know this and neither did the pharmacist at my local Boots.) but I'm having trouble finding one that says it's suitable from birth - they mostly say 'from 6 months' and the pharmacist said he wouldn't recommend/sell the one they had to me for a child that young and suggested I would need a prescription to give it to a newborn! (Mine's 7 weeks.) They can't really expect ALL BF babies to be getting prescriptions in order to follow NHS advice on this?? Does anyone know of a brand that can be given to a young baby?

lunchboxtroubles Fri 28-Oct-16 19:47:13

I don't think that's right. It's from 6m unless getting 500ml formula per day.

hedwig2001 Fri 28-Oct-16 19:48:51

Abidec or Dalavit. Both used in Neonatal units.

Meadows76 Fri 28-Oct-16 19:49:54

Holland and Barrett

www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/natures-aid-vitamin-d3-drops-for-children-60013407

Mermaid36 Fri 28-Oct-16 19:52:35

We use Dalivit for our twins, you can just buy it over the counter

NewNameNoShame Fri 28-Oct-16 19:52:38

My HV told me this

The ones I have are Colief and I think they're suitable from a month (check the pack). My pharmacy had to order them in for me. I was giving four drops in an expressed bottled till recently. Now baby is taking them from a spoon as is bottle refusing

NewNameNoShame Fri 28-Oct-16 19:53:51

Here you go
Suitable from 1 month

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00VWW4W9A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1477680788&sr=8-1&keywords=colief+vitamin+d+drops

kivvi Wed 02-Nov-16 22:33:02

Thanks all!

Lunchboxtroubles, I also thought I remembered 'from 6 months' being the advice for BF babies when DD1 was born 3 years ago, but the NHS now definitely recommends them from birth unless, as you say, baby is getting 500ml or more of formula per day.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/vitamins-for-children.aspx

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-D.aspx

sleepy16 Thu 03-Nov-16 11:19:29

I was told from 1 month (if I hadn't taken vit d in pregnancy) and 6 months if I had taken vit din pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now