Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can a cough be a symptom of teething.

(5 Posts)
freddybear100 Sun 16-Oct-16 07:58:11

Ds is 20 months old and normally a fabulous sleeper (I'm lucky know!) He is currently cutting 3 back teeth and generally coping quite well with it however seems to have developed a really nasty cough when he lies down. We have been awake every hour since 2 coughing but he doesn't have a runny nose, no temperature or any other signs of being poorly. He's now sat watching morning cartoons and hadn't coughed at all since we got up!

Just wondering if the cough could be related to the teething or Judy another one of those mystery baby things? Anyone had any similar issues? X

3boys3dogshelp Sun 16-Oct-16 07:59:34

I think it can if they are salivating a lot from mouth pain, then the saliva trickles to the back of their throat while they are lying down. Hope he feels better soon.

3boys3dogshelp Sun 16-Oct-16 08:00:48

You could try propping the head end of his cot up on books - it might help a bit.

freddybear100 Sun 16-Oct-16 08:03:18

I have thought about propping his cot at an angle however he is such a wriggler and changes position several times during the night so worry he would end up with all the blood rushing to his head!! confused

Olympiathequeen Sun 16-Oct-16 10:48:01

It does sound as though the extra saliva is getting into the upper airways which would provoke coughing. Especially if he has had a recent cold and has a stuffy nose still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now