Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Post shoulder dislocation, should he sleep in his sling?

(9 Posts)
moosemama Thu 13-Oct-16 19:35:53

Ds2 is 12 and has JHS. He tends to sub-lux, rather than fully dislocate anything so his first full dislocation was a bit of a shock.

He's currently on crutches due to ankle impingement, which led to synovitis of the ankle. I had a call from school this morning to say he'd dislocated his shoulder reaching to pick something up and not only was he in a lot of pain, he couldn't use his crutches. Turned out his shoulder popped out, then back in, then out again and stayed out.

Long story short, spent the rest of the day in A&E where his shoulder somehow re-sited itself without the need for reduction. He's in quite a bit of pain and they have him in a collar-sling for a week, with advice to avoid all large arm movements, although apparently he can write as long as it doesn't cause pain. He has to wear the sling at least until he can be seen by paed orthopaedics next Thursday.

Unfortunately, as it started getting towards bedtime we realised, no-one said whether or not he should sleep in his sling.

I've googled, but can't find any advice re dislocations that didn't require reduction.

Does anyone have any experience of their child wearing a collar-sling and if so, did they wear it at night?

lljkk Thu 13-Oct-16 19:37:29

JHS?
DH dislocates shoulder every 5 yrs or so, doesn't sleep in anything special afterwards.
DH did almost dislocate it once rolling over in bed, but that isn't a recurring problem.

moosemama Thu 13-Oct-16 19:41:26

JHS - Joint Hypermobility Syndrome.

Thanks for replying. My instincts are that he doesn't need to sleep in it, but at the same time, I don't want to do the wrong thing and make it worse.

I'm kicking myself for not thinking to ask.

moosemama Thu 13-Oct-16 19:43:07

I should clarify. I assume the sling is to take the weight off his shoulder when he's upright, to stop it slipping out of place again. In which case he wouldn't need it when sleeping.

Poor lad is in such a lot of pain and he's usually extremely stoic as he suffers daily joint pain due to the JHS anyway.

AnyFucker Thu 13-Oct-16 19:43:48

Ring A+E to ask x

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Thu 13-Oct-16 19:50:35

I had shoulder surgery for a sub-luxing shoulder (didn't work) but I did have to sleep in the sling for several weeks afterwards. Did they give you a contact number? Otherwise I would call 111 and ask for advice.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Thu 13-Oct-16 19:52:45

I would make him if he can.

Floralnomad Thu 13-Oct-16 19:54:28

I'd ring and check but frankly I'd let him do whatever he is most comfortable with . I had 2 shoulder surgeries in recent years and on both occasions the sling was discarded the instant I got home as it was much less painful without

moosemama Thu 13-Oct-16 21:04:17

Thanks all.

They didn't give us a contact number, unfortunately. Have to say I was very impressed with everything else they did though - total opposite of the experience we had at our local hospital's A&E with his ankle two weeks ago.

I would have thought, if I range A&E I'd only get the receptionist and wouldn't get hold of anyone that could advise. I think 111 just work to script, for which this is probably a bit too specific.

You have just reminded me that dh has just remembered he has a medical advice line as part of his company health insurance though, so will try that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now