Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

WWYD?

(11 Posts)
BathshebaDarkstone Fri 07-Oct-16 17:23:53

DD's got a fever and a headache, but she won't take Calpol because she's scared she'll throw up. Should I take her to OOH?

No useful advice on the NHS website. sad

MonsterINTHECupboard Fri 07-Oct-16 17:30:26

How old? Unless there's a medical reason not to take the Calpol, I think you should give it ago first.

Witchend Fri 07-Oct-16 17:30:27

How old?
Where is the headache?
I assume you're thinking meningitis, in which case get her to kiss her knee. If she can't then go to A&E.
Chances are she's just got a bug, and the headache is due to temperature.

MonsterINTHECupboard Fri 07-Oct-16 17:30:44

'a go' NOT ago.

nennyrainbow Fri 07-Oct-16 17:33:28

How high is the fever and how old is she? Generally, I wouldn't go to OOH or the Gp either for that matter for those sort of symptoms alone.
You could phone NHS direct and they'll run through a series of questions with you. Most likely it's a common virus and she'll get over it on her own.

Sirzy Fri 07-Oct-16 17:37:14

As others said age and now much of a fever are key factors.

Generally though I would just keep pushing fluids and see how things go

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 07-Oct-16 21:52:28

She's 9 and her temperature's 38.9.

I was worried about meningitis, thanks for the knee kissing tip, she's fine.

I'm also worried about keeping her temperature down, she sips water if I tell her to. Will her temperature come down by itself if she doesn't take Calpol and drinks the minimum amount of water?

Floralnomad Fri 07-Oct-16 21:56:06

Does she actually feel sick or has she a history of vomitting with calpol ? Could you give her half a paracetamol tablet instead ( or a whole one depending on weight etc) .

3luckystars Fri 07-Oct-16 22:01:05

Can you get paralink suppositories or voltarol suppositories?

RainyDaisy Fri 07-Oct-16 22:22:11

My son has the same. He readily accepted the calpol, but it didn't do anything. calprufen worked though. Would your DD take that?

steppemum Fri 07-Oct-16 22:36:30

unless she is known for having a low temperature, then I wouldn't be remotely concerned about 38.9 plus a headache.

It is pretty much standard in every cold or flu bug, which are rife at the moment.
You don't HAVE to take anything for those symptoms, it just makes you feel better.

I would only be worried if the headache stopped her from tipping her head forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now