Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Small baby, cough and cold

(4 Posts)
maybethedayafter Thu 06-Oct-16 20:48:46

My daughter is 15 weeks (8 weeks corrected). She has had a cold, which we all have, but hers seems to be lingering. The cold symptoms - runny nose & sneezing - seem to have stopped, but her cough seems to be getting worse and she sounds very congested but at the back of her throat. Her cough was dry but it's sounding a bit more like she's got something on her lungs which she can't shift. She is only 9lb 8oz now so she's still quite small. Although she was premature she didn't need any breathing support and I was able to have both doses of the steroid injection in labour so that obviously helped her lung development. Should I take her to the GP to get her checked? I'm wondering if it could be bronchiolitis but even if it is there's not really much they can do for it. Any advice?

Lupinlady5 Thu 06-Oct-16 22:34:02

It does sound like bronchiolitis and sometimes they need help with breathing and feeding to get them
through the worst of it.

If she is showing any signs of dehydration or lethargy, I would take her to A&E tonight as she's so young. Otherwise doc in morning. Hope better soon.

maybethedayafter Thu 06-Oct-16 22:41:04

She seems okay in herself - she is obviously not feeling great and getting quite upset but that just means I'm feeding her more than normal, predominantly for comfort, but it'll mean she's getting more milk too. Still the normal number of nappies so I'm not concerned about dehydration but I will keep an eye on it.

nocoolnamesleft Thu 06-Oct-16 23:45:18

If in any doubt do get her checked. Bronchiolitis tends to be worse in ex premmies, even those that didn't need breathing support. And quite a lot of babies with bronchiolitis need, for instance, oxygen, and/or help with feeding. Some need more support than that. If she's struggling with feeds, or not a good colour, or tiring/sleepy, or if when she's breathing she's sucking in between her ribs/below her ribs/bobbing her head/flaring her nostrils, then she's likely to need admission to hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now