Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Calpol nightmare

(13 Posts)
MidnightStars Sun 02-Oct-16 07:23:38

Any tips or suggestions to get my 3 month old to take calpol and not spit it all out?? He's teething and got a cold so would be great if he could get a little pain relief

MedicGirl Sun 02-Oct-16 07:25:40

Tip back slightly
Use a syringe
Insert down side of mouth
Give 0.25 ml at a time
Stroke chin to encourage swallowing.
Repeat.

Ahrightsoted Sun 02-Oct-16 07:26:27

Have u tried putting the syringe to the side of his mouth-they don't gag this way. Can u distract him at the same?

greggscreamslice Sun 02-Oct-16 07:31:21

The only thing that worked here was an empty bottle teat. She thought she was getting milk but we would put calpol straight into the teat (with no bottle attached) and by the time she realised it wasn't milk it had already been swallowed!

MidnightStars Sun 02-Oct-16 07:33:58

I do aim towards his cheek he then waits until the syringe is out and spits it out.
I haven't heard about stroking the chin, I'll give that a go. I'll see what I can distract him with, he normally just cries.

TheEmperorsHat Sun 02-Oct-16 07:35:48

If he takes a dummy, you can get special medicine dummies to put the calpol in and baby sucks it out.

MidnightStars Sun 02-Oct-16 07:35:49

That's a good idea too greggs. We have a fast flowing teat so that could work maybe

electricflyzapper Sun 02-Oct-16 07:39:10

For teething try Anbesol rubbed on the gums Instead? It gave all 4 of mine temporary relief anyway, and whatever the flavour of it, they did not reject it.

MidnightStars Sun 02-Oct-16 07:49:39

He loves his dummy! So might look into that.

Thanks electricflyzapper, we do use anbesol and it does work sometimes but other times i think the pain is so bad he needs something extra. He's really going to town on his fingers poor guy

WanderingTrolley1 Sun 02-Oct-16 07:51:33

We put calpol in a bottle with milk. No problem.

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Sun 02-Oct-16 07:54:01

Ours is the same. We tried everything- nope. No syringe could be put near him. No spoon, nothing. He's spit it out or choke or cry or just go into a total meltdown
We now use the paracetamol suppositories (I know, I know, very non British..)
Thought he'd hate it but he seems oblivious and you know exactly what dose they've had. they work fast as well.

abbsismyhero Sun 02-Oct-16 07:58:16

blow in their face they reflex swallow it's not the nicest way but i had to do it when ds needed antibiotics sad

dailymaillazyjournos Sun 02-Oct-16 22:03:21

If he loves his dummy, DD squirts the calpol into side of dgd's mouth in about 4 squishes. After each lot is squirted in, she sticks the dummy straight into her mouth. She's just over a year now and still reacts to calpol as if it was poison. DD finds that laying her flat on her back works best so she can't let it drip out as easily. It's a real production number each time. They make the flipping stuff so children like it, but I know a few calpol drama llamas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now