Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mesentric adonitis

(8 Posts)
thehoundschicken Fri 30-Sep-16 16:43:49

My daughter has been ill since Wednesday morning. Last time she ate was Tuesday. She vomited a few times Wednesday and early hours of Thursday morning. I took her up to gp yesterday as she was so lethargic and in pain. He advised sugary drinks

She wouldn't drink anything but water and wasn't any better cracked lips and signs of dehydration so took into sick kids yesterday and she was monitored and given rehydration drink and let home. Told not to give sugary drinks anyway!

Took her back in today as she was still suffering Calpol wasn't helping and she couldn't sit up. She hasn't vomited again since Thursday morning but still will not eat

Been told after blood and urine tests that it is mesentric adonitis and she might not eat for 7 days! Has anyone had this or been diagnosed and it's been something else?

She has had more medicine but still saying tummy sore and got me rubbing it. She is saying she is hot but feels freezing but no temp? .

dailymaillazyjournos Sat 01-Oct-16 10:01:14

Mesenteric adonitis means that whatever infection she has, has inflamed the glands in her tummy. They can feel really sore.

Unless she has a bacterial infection (like bacterial tonsilitis, bacterial ear infection etc) which she may need antibiotics for, then there's not a lot you can do other than painkillers and trying to get her to drink little and often and tempt her with things she might eat - ice cream/lollies/frozen grapes or strawberries /toast - whatever she fancies. A hot water bottle might be comforting too.

Can she have ibuprofen? If she's ok with that it might be worth trying if Calpol not helping. You can alternate ibuprofen and calpol too, and that might help? Might be worth a shot. It's awful when you feel you can't relieve their pain. Hope she turns the corner soon.

CotswoldStrife Sat 01-Oct-16 10:07:59

DD had this a couple of years ago - she was pretty run down after a series of viral infections. At one point it went for a couple of weeks and then came back after the next cold [mad]

It is painful. I used to go into the school and dose her up with Calpol at lunchtime and on one occasion, had to go in and give her ibuprofen as well sad

One doctor suggested anything mint - DD was not keen, but if your child would have mint tea or polos, it's worth a try.

Hedgehog80 Sat 01-Oct-16 10:10:21

Ds1 had this last year and was so ill appendicitis was suspected. He was in hospital for two days, sent home then rushed back a few hours later. He was better after a week but felt wobbly and not right for two weeks

It's particularly nasty so try to keep on top of painkillers and if drinking is difficult ask for IV fluids ds needed these as couldn't eat/drink.

Good luck X

thehoundschicken Sat 01-Oct-16 12:19:15

Thanks it's reassuring to hear others experiences.

I've gave her both ibuprofen and Calpol at separate times but still not up for eating. She can't even sit up at the table to colour in . Such a shame.

Hope it passes soon and her tummy goes back to normal she is so weak

oldbirdy Mon 03-Oct-16 13:21:59

They thought my child had this, but it was actually a blocked intestine caused by intussusception, (where a section of bowel folds inside another section and blocks it) very rare in children older than babies so they didn't consider it for ages. The clues were:

calpol didn't touch the pain
she appeared really ill but had no fever
she couldn't keep anything down at all, even sips of fluid
she started vomiting bile
biggest clue: no pooping or even farting and her belly swelled up, by 48 hours in she looked about 5 months pregnant.

I hope your DD doesn't have this as I'm sure it would have been found by now. My child had to have some of their bowel removed as by the time they found it it had died from lack of oxygen - but they have made a good recovery.

thehoundschicken Mon 03-Oct-16 13:43:44

Oh oldbirdy that sounds horrific sorry your lo went through that. My dd had been OK in that area and has managed to go though not much she wasn't blocked up in that way.

She is much better today and is eating again! She did give me a fright but all on the mend now so I do think it was the swollen lymph nodes in this case that went on longer than the bug.

dailymaillazyjournos Mon 03-Oct-16 19:36:16

So glad she's on the mend now. Hopefully she'll eat shedloads soon to make up for the days she was off her food. Swollen glands can go on way past the initial symptoms of the bug in my experience.

Oldbirdy glad your dd made a good recovery after her blockage and op. That sounds really horrible for all concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now