Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tips for hospital stay?

(5 Posts)
noneshallsleep2 Tue 27-Sep-16 12:30:49

My 9 year old DS is going into hospital next week for an op, and will be in for 5 days.

The admissions letter recommends bringing "reading material", which made me laugh a bit, but made me think - does anyone have any top tips for what I should be taking in for him that might avoid 5 days solid of Minecraft?

He should be in his own room, and I should be able to stay in with him, so I was thinking of downloading some audio books - any other bright ideas?

ImYourMama Tue 27-Sep-16 12:34:47

If you have sky, set up sky go and download films on to a tablet, maybe some puzzle/sticker books from the works for £1 a piece. Colouring book and crayons. Maybe some gentle maths/letter work sheets if that's their thing? X

sotired2 Tue 27-Sep-16 13:36:38

My DD loves her books in hospital as loves me reading to her. Audi books are a good idea and downloading films/dvds in a portable player.

A lot depends on if he will have use of his hands and his interest - my DD loves craft DS hates it!

Is a real shame if he does have 5 minecraft days?

elliejjtiny Wed 28-Sep-16 15:21:36

My DS was in hospital aged 9 and the portable dvd player was great for him. There were lots of books and games on the ward too which he liked.

AnaG1ypta Wed 28-Sep-16 15:33:35

Download things from iplayer.

Maybe some audio books?

Think about food for you - I bought a stack of M&S ready meals as DH couldn't visit and I couldn't leave DS2 (but he was only 6m).

Playdoh? A mini Lego set for each day? Favourite board game?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now