Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would you take your dc to the gp for visual migraines?

(8 Posts)
neolara Mon 26-Sep-16 23:16:36

At the weekend, my dd had her second visual migraine. At least I assume this is what it was. She lost the ability to focus her eye sight, got a very bad headache, became a bit confused and shaky, spent 2 hours throwing up, then slept for a couple of hours. After this she was absolutely fine. Very similar to the first time it happened. Both episodes were triggered by the same thing.

The first time it happened I mentioned it to a friend who is GP who said it was probably a visual migraine. Dr Google suggests there is little to be done. Do you think it's worth going to the GP or not?

neolara Mon 26-Sep-16 23:17:00

Should have said, dd is 12.

sglodion Mon 26-Sep-16 23:20:16

I absolutely would. It could be a visual migraine or something completely different. I would want that confirmed to me by a professional tbh.

pontificationcentral Mon 26-Sep-16 23:20:22

Yes. And I did. Usually with 12yo girls visual migraines are triggered by puberty / hormones. But the GP may want to do a couple of other checks and refer to neuro. Dd2 is waiting for MRI after second visual loss (probably visual migraine but GP wants to double check)

DontFuckWithMyChocolate Mon 26-Sep-16 23:20:40

Yes I'd take her for a checkup, book a regular appointment. It won't hurt for them to know she suffers with it, if that's what it is. Or investigate further if they think it may be something else.

sglodion Mon 26-Sep-16 23:20:56

Sorry posted too soon. I know you mentioned it to your Gp friend but that's not the same as an examination by any means.

Littleballerina Mon 26-Sep-16 23:28:58

I would make an appointment for an eye check first.

pontificationcentral Mon 26-Sep-16 23:58:56

Yy we had eye check done too for any retinal issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now