Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dissolvable stitches- how bad will scaring/ potential treatment?

(4 Posts)
Drayton87 Thu 22-Sep-16 16:47:08

My 2 year old DD had dissolvable stitches put in (3) with some of the glue they use to bring together a cut on the forehead caused by an accident- the cut was pretty big and across the forehead following a fall- just wondering how bad scarring will be? Will it heal? Treatments?

Feeling awful at the moment, guess these things happen to our DD!

sycamore54321 Fri 23-Sep-16 02:13:51

I think a lot of it depends on the skill of the person who performed the suturing. So really not much you can do about that now. Generally younger skin appears to heal quicker and better. The forehead is a bit tricky as there is very little by way of flesh there - I had stitches from surgical procedures on my upper chest area where there is just flat bone under the skin and they did heal rather well but not as well as similar wounds in fleshier parts of the body. Having said that, these wounds all involved removing some skin and flesh, so the remaining skin had to be pulled closed, so perhaps not the same as stitches for a cut.

From what you say though, three stitches would be a pretty small wound. For my dermatology procedures, which were carried out by a plastic surgeon, I was instructed in how to massage the scar tissue inward and downwards to improve the appearance once the initial healing was complete. You should ask your doctor whether this or other after care measure would be suitable for your child.

Drayton87 Fri 23-Sep-16 10:38:40

Thanks Sycamore, just worried and probably still in shock but aware it's not the end of the world all things considered- any other views and thoughts on how to handle and treat the scar?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 24-Sep-16 11:50:52

At age 6 my DD had a large fore head wound, with 22 steristrips and glue required to close it so pretty large. She is now 12 I see the scar because I know it is there, but strangers barely notice. I did use bio oil on the scar for the first six months afterwards and I think that did help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now