Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Needle phobia 10yr old DD - help!

(2 Posts)
beautifulgirls Wed 21-Sep-16 21:48:54

Does anyone have any advice as to how we can help DD (10yr) to overcome a severe needle phobia. She was an inpatient back in July and getting an iv into her was a very tough task. She was unwell again last week and blood tests were suggested but we literally couldn't get near her. A play therapist came and was very patient and helpful but even with this not a chance she was going to let them near her with a needle - and this was after plenty of EMLA cream too. They tried everything - me too. I did supportive, kind calm mum, I tried firm "this is for your own good" mum and I left the cubicle for a while to see if she was actually better without me there and may co-operate (I was only next to it where she couldn't see me, I couldn't actually walk right away!)

So, right now she has thankfully improved and getting bloods is not an immediate concern any more but I would dearly love to avoid that complete hysteria that we had last week. It is inevitable that at some point in her future she will need an injection or a blood test. If we can help her now, then if we need to act in the future then hopefully it will be a lot easier for her.

Any advice or support please?

Andro Wed 21-Sep-16 23:58:24

She may need professional help, CBT or exposure therapy can both be useful but it can depend if she has a known root cause (traumatic experience for example). The thing is, therapy and other interventions only have a chance at working (there are no garuentees) if the person is ready to deal with the issue - if she isn't on board you're not going to get anywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now