Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sirzy or asthma/chest gurus

(9 Posts)
rubberballcomebouncingbacktome Tue 20-Sep-16 21:41:35

Just looking for a bit of wisdom and could not find the long running asthma thread. I have been on the first long running asthma support post a few years ago under many names with my middle child who had repeated chest infections, viral wheeze episodes & admissions. However now our third child seems to be repeating history so wondered if anyone had any fresh eyes to see if I am missing anything with the GP.

Basically DD3 (nearly 1 year) has been on an antibiotic a month, since 7 months, so 5 different courses for chest infections, alongside the infection since May whenever the Doctor has listened to her chest he can always hear either a wheeze, crackles or bronchiolitis sounds or a combination. The GP surgery are great, but we have hit the end of the road as since May the chest has not improved. A few weeks ago the senior partner sent her to A&E as she was struggling so much and she has not picked up since. Today she was prescribed Montaloukast, so we are trying that.

We have tried 5 antibiotics - when high temp, green mucas & crackles
We have tried brown preventer - the steroid brown one two puffs morning & night & this is still in situ.
She is dairy free and today is on montaloukast to see if that helps.

Non medical we have tried obas oil, washing all bedding, removing all toys, washing all toys, no dairy, using a wedge -

nothing has made it better, this has lasted since May & is no better so anything you can add or advice would be great,

The GP has referred to the chest consultant but no news yet.

dodobedoop Tue 20-Sep-16 22:42:39

Hi rubberball DD has asthma, and since she was prescribed Serotide has been much improved. Although we haven't had a winter on it yet, but so far so good.
On a non meds note, I find anything mentholy triggers symptoms, so don't use vicks/olbas. Don't know if it's affecting your DD?

I don't know if you have thought of natural therapies to run alongside the meds? DD has reflexology when needed, it helps with her other health conditions and really helps to calm her.

Sirzy Thu 22-Sep-16 12:40:54

Has she had a chest x ray? I would push for that if not and if you can get a mucus sample from her ask them to analyse that. A long term antibiotic may help, but only if they can identity what the infection is!

Can you phone and chase up the referrals.

Maybe also worth considering allergy and/or reflux being part of the problem.

rubberballcomebouncingbacktome Thu 22-Sep-16 19:52:19

Thanks for both your thoughts, did ask for an X-Ray this week so will push that as she has not had one at all.

I think the reflux may be something to look at & she is already on prescription formula for milk as reacts to dairy.
Will try & speed up the referral.

Thank you, horrible when I can hear an audible wheeze & no improvement in weeks, just a cycle of temperatures, wheeze, infection etc...

Superstar90 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:55:07

Don't mean to be rude but do you have damp in your house anywhere Or a source of pollution such as living on a main road?
Do you have pets that could be triggering an allergy?
Can they get hayfever so young?
Def push for an X-ray and investigate the reflux more
We had the same with our dd1 but thankfully she seems to have grown out of it now.

Superstar90 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:57:17

Also I'm sure u already do but wash her stuff with non-bio unscented only detergent and make sure no feather bedding

Superstar90 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:58:53

I'm surprised they didn't give you an X-ray in a and e - I would have thought this fairly standard practice...?

rubberballcomebouncingbacktome Fri 23-Sep-16 19:24:11

There is some damp in one room, but she does not spend much time in there but it is something to look at & yes to dogs as allergy triggers!
No X Ray mentioned...just waited for SATs to pick up-

Superstar90 Fri 23-Sep-16 20:02:34

Hope she gets better. flowersYou might investigate more the allergy stuff if they can't sort it otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now