Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Definitely molluscum?

(10 Posts)
cordiality Fri 16-Sep-16 19:11:10

We've just been to the doctor and had my 5yo dd's spots diagnosed as molluscum. She only has four, two on her leg, two on her arm, but it's only been a week or so so I assume more will come.

The thing is, the spots are really painful, especially the first one that she got, on her thigh, and my understanding is that molluscum are not painful?

I've also read about the spots being squeezable/prickable and hers don't seem to look remotely like that, no liquid or white head or anything.

Has anyone had molluscum that have behaved like this? Is it just because they are the first spots? Or should I be questioning this diagnosis?!

Thanks mums smile

Dd's looked kind of like skin tags/warts. They were skin coloured and lumpy and didn't have a core until later on. Can you post a picture?

MrsBungle Fri 16-Sep-16 22:37:57

This was ds's molluscum. A few got a wee bit infected and were sore.

WinchesterWoman Fri 16-Sep-16 22:40:31

The ones lower down look like molluscum but the other one doesn't - unless of course it used to look like the other ones lower down and then became infected by you squeezing them.

So yes those five little ones look like molluscum. The other red thing looks like a popped boil and that shiny thing, well I don't know.

pollyblack Fri 16-Sep-16 22:40:56

My ds had this at the same age, lasted over a year but they did get more Squeezable as time went on.

WinchesterWoman Fri 16-Sep-16 22:41:04

Oh Mrs Bungle I mistook your picture and thought it was the OPs.

MrsBungle Fri 16-Sep-16 22:54:12

Sorry Winchester! I was just trying to show what they look like to op! The top one was an infected molluscum due to his pants rubbing on it.

cordiality Sat 17-Sep-16 11:58:07

Hmm, ours don't seem to be in clusters, and aren't really skin colour, but they do seem to be a little more liquidy today so I'm inclined to be persuaded. Here are pics, one on arm one on leg... couldn't really get her to cooperate for better photos! hmm

cordiality Sat 17-Sep-16 11:59:02

ps thank you for the replies, massively appreciated

Sisterthree Thu 22-Sep-16 06:33:43

Hi, typical molluscum has that dimple in the middle (that's why germans call it dell wart). But the bumps go through stages starting as very little goose bump like bumps. See this page for examples of the different stages of molluscum: Pictures of Stages of Molluscum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now